HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:37 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Marystown? What is there? Sorry I'm not familiar with it...
Marystown NFLD is a large shipbuilding facility. The huge GBS (Gravity Base System) was constructed here for the Hibernia oil field. They will soon be constructing another GBS for the Hebron oil field...HUGE

Marystown
http://placentiachamber.org/Kiewit.pdf

Last edited by Empire; Oct 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Ontario and NB would produce a lot of the steal, Quebec would take care of the design for the fighter aircraft going on the ships, not sure what PEI or NFL will do, Nova Scotia will construct the ships. That's basically how it will be distributed right?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Ontario and NB would produce a lot of the steal, Quebec would take care of the design for the fighter aircraft going on the ships, not sure what PEI or NFL will do, Nova Scotia will construct the ships. That's basically how it will be distributed right?
I've been told there will be to much work for Halifax's yard and that Marystown will get work because of it. The person may not have meant work from the federal contracts but just other work Halifax would usually have.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Marystown NFLD is a large shipbuilding facility. The huge GBS (Gravity Base System) was constructed here for the Hibernia oil field. They will soon be constructing another GBS for the Hebron oil field...HUGE

Marystown
http://placentiachamber.org/Kiewit.pdf
Actually, the Hibernia GBS was not built in Marystown, it was built in Bull Arm.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:55 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Sounds like good work all around then. Exciting!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:54 AM
ARTchitecture

So I have never been clear on exactly what ships will be built? I know they are currently designing a new class of Destroyer/warship, they have already designed the JSS/helicopter carrier, and a while back they were talking about buying two Mistral Class helicopter carriers from France...

Is the JSS still gonna be built?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So I have never been clear on exactly what ships will be built? I know they are currently designing a new class of Destroyer/warship, they have already designed the JSS/helicopter carrier, and a while back they were talking about buying two Mistral Class helicopter carriers from France...

Is the JSS still gonna be built?
I have been confused on this as well, I just found a good CBC feature on what will likely be built: Link

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:17 PM

The CBC article is off slightly in terms of the JSS:
The JSS is not going to be built as originally designed/specced by DND. Right now they're looking at two more conventional military replenishment ships from Spain and Germany (Cantabria and Berlin classes specifically). Although the plans would be purchased elsewhere, they would still be produced here. The JSS was design was being pulled in too many directions (AOR, landing ship, helicopter carrier, command ship, hospital ship) and the cost could not be brought down... remember, it was already set to go and be built before, but the government balked when they saw the price tag. That's part of what led to developing the national shipbuilding strategy in the first place.

In terms of priority, the supply ships are first and foremost (our current ships are way past their retirement date and apparently not allowed in certain areas due to environmental safety concerns with their antiquated design). Next up will be part of the SCSC fleet to replace the destroyers (also past their best before date, but only 70s vintage vs the supply ships 60s vintage) and the AOPS, and then the rest of the SCSC to replace the frigates (80s/90s vintage).

The driving force behind purchasing LPDs/LPHs (amphibious warfare ships like the Mistral class) was Rick Hillier. While they're still generally wanted, there just isn't the budget, nor the personnel to make them viable any time soon. They would likely be purchased internationally, anyway, either new or used.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:25 PM

Today's the big day...only hours to go!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:35 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
The CBC article is off slightly in terms of the JSS:
The JSS is not going to be built as originally designed/specced by DND. Right now they're looking at two more conventional military replenishment ships from Spain and Germany (Cantabria and Berlin classes specifically). Although the plans would be purchased elsewhere, they would still be produced here. The JSS was design was being pulled in too many directions (AOR, landing ship, helicopter carrier, command ship, hospital ship) and the cost could not be brought down... remember, it was already set to go and be built before, but the government balked when they saw the price tag. That's part of what led to developing the national shipbuilding strategy in the first place.

In terms of priority, the supply ships are first and foremost (our current ships are way past their retirement date and apparently not allowed in certain areas due to environmental safety concerns with their antiquated design). Next up will be part of the SCSC fleet to replace the destroyers (also past their best before date, but only 70s vintage vs the supply ships 60s vintage) and the AOPS, and then the rest of the SCSC to replace the frigates (80s/90s vintage).

The driving force behind purchasing LPDs/LPHs (amphibious warfare ships like the Mistral class) was Rick Hillier. While they're still generally wanted, there just isn't the budget, nor the personnel to make them viable any time soon. They would likely be purchased internationally, anyway, either new or used.
Yep, the current AORs that need to be replaced are the last ships in the fleet with steam boilers. Time to get with the 21st century.

I suspect that if we get a LPD,LPH it will be more of landing dock type deal, 10,000-18,000 tons, like the small Italian aircraft carrier, or the smallest US docks. The navy doesn't have enough personnel to crew a couple of large assault ships. Unless, that is, the new frigates become large corvettes in the 2500-3500 ton range, with small crews of 65-75, like a lot of European countries are doing.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:50 PM
BANNED

And now, we have just mere hours to go.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 4:06 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It looks like there will be a live feed here later this afternoon.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/news/25...rded-wednesday

Also news 95.7 Halifax is covering and taking calls now. Will also be covering the announcement.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 4:35 PM

What time is the actual announcement?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 4:57 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
What time is the actual announcement?
5:05 Atlantic Time

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:14 PM
we built this city

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
5:05 Atlantic Time
Damn it! Why am I always working during any announcements or meetings I want to attend

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:11 PM

tweet by Halgonia on twitter:

Quote:
MT @natnewswatch: In a surprising change of plans, Dexter will be in Halifax for shipbuilding announcement. Was scheduled out of country
gahhh I wanna know! hahah it will have to wait until 6ish for me to find out tho stupid mid-terms

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This is a good sign.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:50 PM

Just about an hour to go...

Good news that Dexter is staying for the announcement.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Dexter is having his teeth whitened, me thinks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy