HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Side topic, but I feel like in big cities like Toronto, you don't get a proportional increase in the number of niche entertainment experiences.

The GTA is about 10x the population of Quebec City, but you're not going to have entrepreneurs open up 10 different swim-up pool bars.

So it'll be more expensive and crowded and, since it's expensive and crowded, it'll cater to a specific type of person who really likes going to that place. That kind of explains the "douchebag" aspect

I think the overall result is that Torontonians have to pick and choose a little more about which entertainment options they want to get into/follow and they stay a little more in their "tribe".

absolutely true. Same thing with the big cities of Europe.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Just looking into it, Toronto has a total of 8 pool bars, but nothing as family or tourist oriented as the one pictured in Quebec City.

Maybe that will all change once whatever happens at Ontario Place.
source: https://www.thestar.com
I hope it isn't just full of Cardboard-Cardboard (Pizza Pizza) and Subways, selling their wares for double the usual going rate (see: Canada's Wonderland and their shitty/expensive food offerings).

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 6:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Not a restaurant per se but a bar opened only during the summertime in the Old Port. Really nice place to enjoy local beers whilst having your legs in the pool.

https://www.facebook.com/portquebec/...=page_internal
This is the perfect example of the kind of thing Quebec City always seems to get long before Ottawa, even though Ottawa is bigger.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:12 PM
be nice to the crackheads

A.Bento, a modern take on humble Taiwanese street food, has become one of my favourite new places to eat in Metro Vancouver. Even better, it's located on West Broadway, so I don't have to travel to Richmond or Burnaby to eat it.

This place is legit. Everything tastes as good or better than what you'd find at your typical Taiwanese night market. I've eaten here half a dozen times now, and every meal was superb.

Spicy Beef Fried Rice

Three Cup Chicken.

One of their standout dishes. The 'three cup' refers to using a cup of rice wine, soy sauce and sesame oil for the sauce. As with many Taiwanese dishes, a generous helping of basil brings the flavour to another level.

Braised pork rice

What you can't see under the Taiwanese sausage and egg is a mouth-watering and artery-clogging pork belly stew that covers the white rice. Each little piece of pork melts in your mouth.

Their signature dish, and probably their best. I LOVE black pepper steak and noodles in Taiwan. It's a common dish at night markets that's served on a hot skillet with an egg. A.Bento punches it up a tad, and uses short rib instead of a flank steak. You can pull the beef off of the bone with chopsticks. It's divine.

I highly recommend A.Bento. Really good and authentic Taiwanese food is surprisingly difficult to find outside of Taiwan, so when you come across a place this good, it needs to be shared.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:46 PM
sick transit, gloria

^That looks incredible! Need to find some authentic Taiwanese now.

We went to one of our pre-COVID favourites in Toronto last night - Seoulshakers in Bloordale. I was pleasantly surprised that the quality hasn't dipped and despite being slightly more expensive portion sizes have remained large. It's a kind of Korean fusion (hate that term but for lack of a better one) with dishes like bulgogi chopped cheese and eggplant kangpungi. Plus chill enough to hang out for a couple drinks after our meal without pressure to leave, despite it being fairly busy. Didn't take pics but the menu is still pretty similar to this article: https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/s...akers-toronto/ Prices are about $2 more per dish - not bad considering.

The owners other restaurants are great too (Hanmoto, Oddseoul, Shakers club and the unfortunately now-closed Pinky's Ca Phe). I know Monkeyronin has posted pics from some of these in the past.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 4:13 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^ Seoulshakers looks great! The eggplant kangpungi, in particular. I could definitely eat that right about now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 1:41 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Some of my favourite restaurants (and a couple bars) in Vancouver:

Bar Susu. This is everything I like a restaurant to be - great, unpretentious food, convivial atmosphere, good wine & cocktails, nice space:

PiDGiN

Lunch Lady. I come here for brunch all the time:

Les Faux Bourgeois

Savio Volpe

Carlino. This place was a bit of surprise - a high-end restaurant in the Shangri-la hotel focusing on Friulan food (from the Friuli region in northeastern Italy - where my family is from):

Pepino's / La Tana

Keefer Bar

33 Acres Brewery

One glaring omission so far is that I haven't included any of Vancouver's excellent representation of every variety of Chinese cuisine. This one is one that I've barely scratched the surface of though - I've been to some great spots like Western Lake, Kirin or Sun Sui Wah for dim sum; Don Tai Xiang or Bubble Waffle for more specific or regional foods; Memory Corner for Taiwanese; and many more that I'd like to try (definitely got to go to Quan Ju De when I've got some money to burn). But none individually really stand out. So I'm going to cop out and mention the Crystal Mall food court and its many delights packed together under one roof:

And lastly, an honourary mention to Pilgrimme on Galiano Island. One of the best & most interesting meals I've ever had.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 1:45 AM

Great pictures guys. The food looked really good.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Some of my favourite restaurants (and a couple bars) in Vancouver:
Wonderful post. I'll surely by inspired by it next time I'm in Vancouver!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:53 AM

Honō Izakaya, a yakitoris bar on St-Joseph street with great japanese tapas and even greater cocktails.

Last edited by davidivivid; Dec 24, 2023 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 10:39 AM

It's been awhile since I've posted anything..My vote goes to the Vitorria tratorria.

https://vittoriatrattoria.com/

For diners, it's the Elgin Street Diner.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 2:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 4:37 AM

Le Clocher Penché, a french style bistro situated in an old bank on St-Jospeh street. Fantastic brunch menu, gorgeous setting.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 10:33 PM
Registered Drug User

My wife and I are totally riding the Hakka wave sweeping into Kitchener-Waterloo. Hakka Kitchen Wall is amazingly scrumptious. I strongly urge anyone who likes bar wings to try lollipop chicken, especially at this place. Talk about juicy and mouth-watering. Definitely get the Hakka shrimp, too. And the honey-garlic fish. And the basil mango veggies.

If Indians doing their own take on Chinese food is wrong,* I don't wanna be right.

*It was difficult balancing my principled opposition to this cultural appropriation by the Nepalese owners with the utterly fantastic taste of their food, but I managed it in the end.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 11:30 PM
recession proof

Somewhere, perhaps on College Street around UofT, I saw a sign saying "Taiwanese Street Food" that looked appealing. There's a new Hakka place near Bloor and Indian Grove that looks good, but as you know with reflux and CD, these menus are off limits. For people such as myself, I noticed a GF place near Richmond and Spadina. (And another reason my ex and I broke up, she couldn't deal with both reflux & gluten-free diet restrictions. It's hard to date, especially since coffee and drinking is off the table.)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 3:28 AM

I know who Keith Lee is because he goes around the US finding hidden gem restaurants that are struggling or are not as popular as they should be (though some do pretty well already) and then gives genuine reviews. Next day business blows up. I don't follow him on tiktok but he came to Toronto so all his videos were on my for you page.

He went to one restaurant in the west end on Weston Rd. One Downtown spot and then like five Scarboro spots and a backyard bakery in Ajax. They all just blew up.

They say Torontonians love to line up. I've seen it a couple times while Downtown at work. One time for a single free Heineken in a gift box and one time for a free pizza at PI Co. And I'm familiar with the sensation of a new popular franchise opening. And I know it's not just Toronto, but perhaps Toronto really does it more than any other major city. I don't understand the psychology of not being able to wait a couple weeks for the fanfare to die down.

https://www.tiktok.com/@keith_lee125..._t=8lXOAvwrw7J

https://www.buzzfeed.com/abbyzinman/...ate-in-toronto

Dude got rich doing this. Amazing success story. He basically puts money in small business owners' pockets and makes bank himself. And leaves $3,000 tips and buys meals for all the patrons in the restaurant, etc. And any time you see or hear of a food critic visiting a city, it's basically always Downtown or near core in a fancy or at least interesting looking spot. I don't seem to recall Anthony Bourdain venturing out to Scarberia to some mom and pop shop. Gotta respect that.

I do wonder if he only did food or did other things in the city. If you love top class ethnic food then you can't go wrong with Scarboro. But if you want to see what a city has to offer outside of food then Scarbs, Weston Rd. and Ajax ain't it.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 15, 2024 at 3:39 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada