HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 8:36 PM
Doc Love 3.0

That would be a great project for Saginaw, downtown & the riverfront need a boost. Economically it seems like a good play to make Saginaw is certainly capable of supporting a large medical complex serving the Tri-Cities / Bay Region as well as much of northern lower MI.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 8:53 PM
Doc Love 3.0

I missed this bit of news from last fall. It’s good news for the company & Saginaw as it’s the 7th largest employer in the *county, as recently as 2020 50 high paying positions were eliminated due China its largest market blocking imports.

Positive sign to see the region finding a way to leverage its assets to create high paying jobs in advanced manufacturing. In addition to the SK Siltron chip plant in Bay City a local ecosystem is being established for the coveted industry. In addition the May announcement of the creation of the Semiconductor Talent and Automotive Research initiative at the University of Michigan will hopefully help the state generate further investment in high tech manufacturing.

Gov. Whitmer Launches Groundbreaking on New $375 Million Expansion of Hemlock Semiconductor, Creating 170 New Jobs

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview...4490.11,32.htm

Quote:
Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer joined company officials and federal, state, and local leaders to break ground on Hemlock Semiconductor’s (HSC) new expansion project at the company’s Thomas Township operations.

“Michigan is becoming a global hub of semiconductor chip manufacturing and we will continue bringing these critical supply chains home so we can create jobs, bring billions in investment to our communities, and lead the future,” said Governor Whitmer. “Hemlock Semiconductor, a Michigan-made company whose hyper-pure polysilicon is found in nearly all electronic devices in the world, is betting on Michigan once again, expanding their presence in Thomas Township with a planned investment of up to $375 million creating 170 jobs. Powered by bipartisan economic development and state-supported improvements of critical public infrastructure, Hemlock’s planned investment will foster economic opportunity for Michiganders for generations to come.”

“Michigan knows all too well what happens when we are dependent on semiconductor chips made halfway around the world. That’s why I led the effort with Senator Peters and Representative Kildee to support domestic manufacturing of semiconductor chips in the CHIPS and Science Act. This important investment will boost Michigan manufacturing, fix our broken supply chains, lower costs, and bring thousands of jobs home,” said Senator Stabenow. “Today’s investment from Hemlock Semiconductor will continue their global leadership in the semiconductor supply chain while creating hundreds of jobs.”

Hemlock Semiconductor Operations, founded in Hemlock in 1961, is one of the longest operating manufacturers of polysilicon in the world and remains the largest producer of high-purity polysilicon in the United States., while also being the only U.S.-headquartered manufacturer. High-purity polysilicon, as the foundational material used to create semiconductor chips, is essential for all products in the electronic and solar power industries. HSC currently has approximately 1,350 employees at its headquarters in Thomas Township.

Last edited by Velvet_Highground; Aug 15, 2023 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 9:37 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Highground View Post
I missed this bit of news from last fall. It’s good news for the company & Saginaw as it’s the 7th largest employer in the country, as recently as 2020 50 high paying positions were eliminated due China its largest market blocking imports.
7th-largest employer in the country?? Do you mean county? Even if you're considering Hemlock as a subsidiary of Dow (which has something like 38,000 employees worldwide) I don't think that statistic is correct. This random list that I found lists Hemlock Semiconductor as the 5th-largest employer in Saginaw County.

Either way, I agree with your general point - it is definitely a positive that the region is leveraging its advanced manufacturing assets.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 11:32 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Yeah I meant definitely county. It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re 5th the numbers down the list were close, didn’t exactly do my due diligence just a quick Wikipedia check. As we all know it’s not always the most up to date & or reliable source, their demographic data’s often hasn’t been updated since 2000 for example. Good catch 😆

Last edited by Velvet_Highground; Aug 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 12:34 AM
Registered Ugly

Good to see Saginaw getting a piece of the action. I have a few family members who work there and it's one of the few bright spots in that region's spotty economic history. We are also seeing the CHIPS Act funding flowing out here for Intel/Analog Devices to the tune of billions. I sure hope this pays dividends. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:37 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Saginaw is always going to have a place close to my heart I consider it my hometown. Though my parents did relocate back to metro detroit when I was born it was a family tradition to stop by when we went up north to stay with family friends in our old neighborhood. Have some really fond memories they had two daughters my age so it wasn’t one of those stuffy obligatory trips, more like a half step back into city life after camping at the beach.

They lived over on Weiss St back then there was an arcade & a bowling alley up at the corner it was a good place to hang out / grow up. They were really invested in the community, Mr Sampson was the principal of the local high school.

There’s likely more opportunity for Saginaw then it might seem Saginaw was doing decently well holding it’s own up till the end of the 80’s. The decline hasn’t been as long or steep as other Great Lakes industrial cities. That said the same forces that kept Saginaw going didn’t leave the same kind of great legacy cultural & educational institutions like in Detroit & Flint so the city needs to invest in urban cultural, higher learning institutions that other cities have the advantage of building off of.

With that said the last 30 years of decline and stagnation while other cities across the state have been on their way one step or another to experiencing a resurgence has left a disheartening vibe to the Bay Area. The recent seeds of revitalization are a good sign that won’t be left behind. There’s been a recent surge in population growth of Northern Michigan and the Tri-Cities are within a reasonable drive of some beautiful areas like Port Austin & especially the Tawas / Oscoda area. Saginaw has the chance to be the urban hub of an attractive affordable part of the state that has yet to really be a taken advantage of.

Three years after dam breaches, lakes are expected back by 2025

Quote:
Three years after devastating dam breaches rocked Midland and Gladwin counties on May 19, 2020, hope prevails, rebuilding continues, and the four Tittabawassee River lakes are expected back sooner rather than later.

“By 2025, all the lakes should be completely restored,” said Four Lakes Task Force President Dave Kepler.

Secord and Smallwood lakes are expected back in 2024, and Sanford Lake in 2025. Kepler said Wixom Lake was originally slated to return by 2026, but there is now a possibility to bring it back by 2025.

Kepler said Secord, Smallwood, Wixom and Sanford lakes and their corresponding dams in 2022 saw the completion of the recovery phase program, which entailed more than 30 projects. He said the Four Lakes Task Force has moved “solidly” into the restoration phase for all four lakes and their dams.

He said the milestones have included stabilizing the Secord, Smallwood, Edenville and Sanford dams and removing the debris from the bottomlands.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 1:59 AM
Registered Ugly

I grew up in Saginaw through 5th grade and most of my family still lives there. I consider it my hometown as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:07 AM

Bay City’s old Arlington Hotel getting a new chance at life

Quote:
BAY CITY, MI - The Midland Street District used to be dotted with old, decaying yet historic buildings. But groups of investors and entrepreneurs have changed that in recent years, with an increasing push to revitalize the district.

One of the newest projects is a plan to revitalize the aging building at 201 S. Linn Street. On Monday, Aug. 21, the Bay City Commission unanimously approved an obsolete property exemption certificate to help facilitate the upcoming project to renovate the historic structure. The exemption is for 12 years and the amount of $1.5 million.

Hawthorne Realty Group applied for the certificate ahead of a proposed $3 million investment in the property, which used to be home to the old Arlington Hotel and Saloon. The Arlington was built in 1868, the building is in need of a complete restoration and rehabilitation.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 1:17 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Beautiful bones on that one! Potentially not a bad location either, if this area can continue to be revitalized. Bay City has pretty dense, historic building stock on both sides of the river - for being so small.

Last edited by deja vu; Aug 23, 2023 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 2:13 PM

My heart is in Chicago but if I returned home it would be Bay City. I make it a point to spend time there annually. It’s got a lot going for it. Historic commercial areas, great restaurants, nice parks and riverfront. And it’s not a far drive to get to beaches and state parks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 12:15 PM
Doc Love 3.0

True that & well said on both accounts above. There’s more redevelopment coming to the Midland St area along with the restoration of the Arlington Hotel. The Stables and Lumber Barons properties are to be redeveloped there’s also a teaser of a major project coming across the street.

Bay City's historic Midland Street resurging

Quote:
Bay City's Midland Street Business District is experiencing a revival of sorts with investments in several vacant properties.

The old, decaying Arlington Hotel on Linn Street in Bay City's Midland Street Business District has a second chance at life after being vacant for years with a $1.5 million investment for phase one of renovations.

Bay City Economic Development Manager Sara Dimitroff tells ABC12 the first phase features an updated bar, new ventilation, a new entry door and more. The second and third floor will have ten to twelve rental units.

It joins other new investments aimed at helping the area thrive.

"We want to really try to bring back the west side to what we think it can be," President of Whaley Hospitality Group Garrett Whaley said.

The Stables and Lumber Baron's properties were bought by the owners of Saginaw County's longstanding Golden Glow Ballroom.

Whaley said The Stables -- which will keep its iconic name -- will be a bar and nightclub with a rooftop bar.

The front property, which housed Lumber Baron's, will be a brewery and brew pub and restaurant called W. H. Ales. There will also be banquet rooms upstairs for private events.

The company also recently acquired the longstanding Village Inn in Linwood in Bay County and just held a soft grand reopening this week.

The new Stables looks to open in December.

W. H. Ales plans to open in the second quarter of 2024.

Whaley also told ABC12 they recently acquired the property adjacent to The Stables and Lumber Baron's building and said it's going to be an even bigger project.
The new Saginaw United High School located near the cultural center on the riverfront is starting to near completion. Saginaw residents voted in November 2020 to approve a $100 million bond project for the district, the funds from which it will use to build the new comprehensive Saginaw United High School building at the site of the Saginaw Arts and Sciences Academy. Saginaw United will serve students who would previously be enrolled at Arthur Hill High School and Saginaw High School. The Arthur Hill building will become the new site of SASA, and Saginaw High School will be repurposed as the new Saginaw Middle School. A new Handley Elementary School building, together with the new SASA, will create a “gifted” campus at the Arthur Hill site.

Construction can be seen in the video below.

Alumni reflect on merger of Saginaw Public high schools next year

Renderings can be seen in this Mlive article.

‘Saginaw United’: District’s new high school has its name, mascot

Last edited by Velvet_Highground; Sep 16, 2023 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 5:06 PM
somewhere in-between

^ I quite like the new mascot / logo. I guess you could say it's a little on the nose, but it reflects an optimistic spirit that is easy to get behind.

The fact that a city like Saginaw is building a 5-story high school, loaded with great amenities, located downtown / on a riverfront, is frankly pretty incredible / unprecedented, at least in Michigan. Not a bad concession prize for having to lose a cross-town high school rivalry. It seems like a smart strategy on so many levels. Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it looks a bit like a low-rise commercial office or apartment building construction, and I wonder if the planners had discussions that long-long-term, should a future new school be built, this could be more easily repurposed and converted to a different use.

Other rust belt cities with declining populations should take note.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
^ I quite like the new mascot / logo. I guess you could say it's a little on the nose, but it reflects an optimistic spirit that is easy to get behind.

The fact that a city like Saginaw is building a 5-story high school, loaded with great amenities, located downtown / on a riverfront, is frankly pretty incredible / unprecedented, at least in Michigan. Not a bad concession prize for having to lose a cross-town high school rivalry. It seems like a smart strategy on so many levels. Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it looks a bit like a low-rise commercial office or apartment building construction, and I wonder if the planners had discussions that long-long-term, should a future new school be built, this could be more easily repurposed and converted to a different use.

Other rust belt cities with declining populations should take note.
Agree. This is not typical and is some serious bragging rights for the students. When I kept hearing people say it was “tall” I certainly didn’t expect a 5 story building with floor to floor heights like this. It’s nice to see schools as standout structures. Think about how they used to be with grand entrances and clock towers. This could have gone the unfortunate suburban route, low slung and small windows. Thankfully it didn’t

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 11:58 PM
Detroiter4life

Saginaw transit outgrows location, looks to develop Potter Street neighborhood

Quote:
STARS has outgrown its current location at 615 Johnson St., said Glenn Steffens, its executive director. The group has explored three potential sites for relocation – the Davenport/I-675 area, Genesee Street near Saginaw United, the city’s new high school under construction at 1903 N. Niagara St. and the Potter Street Station, Steffens said. The Davenport and Genesee Street locations were deemed less suitable due to the presence of railroad tracks, which would slow down bus departures. Steffens said, adding that these options would cost about $70 million. While that is cheaper than the $100-million Potter Street Station plan, Steffens said federal grants available for restoring historic sites could result in a less pricey investment from STARS and potential local stakeholders.

Before STARS can proceed with its plans, including the acquisition of the Potter Street Station, currently owned by the nonprofit Saginaw Depot Preservation Corporation, it must undergo a one- to two-year National Environmental Protection Act study, Steffens said.

In renderings presented during the Monday, Nov. 6, Saginaw City Council meeting, Steffens outlined aspects of the Potter Street project to update the council.

The plan includes construction of a multi-level parking ramp across the street from the proposed bus station at 501 Potter St., and the integration of a mixed-use storefront that will cater to the Saginaw community, Steffens said, adding that STARS officials envision a daycare facility and a grocery store as part of this development. The incorporation of these amenities could significantly reduce trip times, potentially saving residents on the STARS system up to 90 minutes in commuting time, Steffens said.

The study included an examination of the structural integrity of the Potter Street Station building, which engineers and architects have confirmed is feasible for renovation, Steffens said.

After public and STARS board member input, the study is nearing completion and the decision to move forward with Potter Street Station solidified, Steffens said, adding the STARS board is expected to adopt its findings.

After board approval, the project will enter its next phase, which includes accessing funding available exclusively to transit agencies, he said.

“I like what I see here,” City Councilman Michael Balls said. “Bringing back Potter Street is really going to be a beautiful thing.”
https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-b...ghborhood.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:32 AM

^^^ That would be amazing to see Potter Street Station renovated. Its an awesome building, even in its current state.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest