HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgc View Post
. I have never lived in a building that has the issue, so I don't know really what the energy cost is to the end user.
From my years living in Marina City, it's not much.

My 500 SF studio unit cost about $25 worth of electricity (MC wasn't piped for gas) to heat in a typical winter month.

Granted, that was a decade ago now, but still, hardly an exorbitant heating expense, despite the evil horror of "THERMAL BRIDGING".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
From my years living in Marina City, it's not much.

My 500 SF studio unit cost about $25 worth of electricity (MC wasn't piped for gas) to heat in a typical winter month.

Granted, that was a decade ago now, but still, hardly an exorbitant heating expense, despite the evil horror of "THERMAL BRIDGING".
Yeah people act as if this is some kind of crippling issue. It is not and developers don't care as someone else mentioned. The architects don't get to choose whether the building has thermal breaks nor do they get to choose whether it has balconies.

Not sure why there are so many Gang haters out there nitpicking her work. It almost feels like a double standard that male architects designing on this level are not judged by. Why isn't every building with balconies and no breaks lambasted for the same reasons? I've never heard it leveled as design criticism against any other radiator balcony buildings in Chicago granted most of those designs suck and are nowhere near the quality of Aqua. Maybe you all should look at Low-end-burgs previous works and realize Aqua represents a massive aesthetic improvement upon an otherwise uninspiring genre of building program that proliferates not only Chicago, but many modern cities.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I have some vague recollection that the city does not allow illumination of blow through floors for whatever reason. Otherwise I think that's a great idea.

Edit: Yes, I remembered correctly:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/17...-design-update
Why? Who cares if there are lights on it or not???

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
i care, i think it would be a nice touch to light up the blow-through permanently!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:46 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:53 PM

Is there any reason why we're keeping this building in this sub-forum? The building is/has been occupied for a while now. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Is there any reason why we're keeping this building in this sub-forum? The building is/has been occupied for a while now. . .

. . .
Fencing was still up around the N side last week - the drive through was open, but not the main entrance.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

^Yeah. . . I see that from my condo, but is that all we're waiting for to move this? If so, that's fine. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:36 PM
TL;DR

I walked around the tower last night and used the public elevator from Lower Field Drive up to Upper Wacker level.

The public space around the tower is really nicely done, at least the parts that are completed. If you walk over by Chandler/Shoreham, it's night and day. The streets are barren and way too wide, it's a sterile concrete canyon. Pedestrian sidewalks are poorly planned, crosswalks are not logical or ADA-accessible, etc.

Walk in front of Vista and the streets narrow down to a sensible width, there are high-quality pavers and landscaping, the sidewalks and paths are logical and comfortable, etc. I love the overlook above Field Blvd looking south over the Lakeshore East park. Awesome urban vista, reminded me of something you might see in a much hillier city. Hopefully benches are installed soon, I'd love to post up there on a nice day with a coffee and a book. Of course, we'll see if this holds up after a decade of Chicago winters and Chicago drivers... but this what all of LSE should have been like. The careful design even extends to Lower Field Drive where a similar, great pedestrian path was installed linking the Lakeshore East park to the Riverwalk across Lower Sub Wacker. I never thought it was possible to beautify the entrance to the auto pound, but they managed to do that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 10:22 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
...it would be a nice design aesthetic? Although from your ever so eloquent response, it appears you don't much care for that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
What a failure!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
i care, i think it would be a nice touch to light up the blow-through permanently!
Not only would it be a nice touch, but an obvious touch. I mean aren't these people supposed to be the creative types. No one should have to suggest lighting the blow-through (with LED lights that change colors), it's begging for it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 7:39 PM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Not only would it be a nice touch, but an obvious touch. I mean aren't these people supposed to be the creative types. No one should have to suggest lighting the blow-through (with LED lights that change colors), it's begging for it.
How many times do we have to say it's ILLEGAL and would require a change in ordinance before y'all give it a rest?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:07 PM

From The Clare:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
From The Clare:
Just a little tweaking and you could have your sig match the LOWES font exactly.

As always - nice to have a pro sharing here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:22 PM

^great shot, love the colors.

found a few others:

SILENT NIGHT by Nenad Spasojevic, on Flickr

MOONSHADOW by Nenad Spasojevic, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:52 PM
The City

I can't wait to see this property when the interior restaurant is open (post-COVID, where you can actually enjoy it properly) and in person.

I want to dine there and enjoy the views overlooking the Chicago river and Streeterville

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:09 AM
1st Ward

Wow, amazing shots everyone!

The river canyon is beginning to really get lopsided now, with the south bank (LSE and Illinois Center) really blowing away the north bank west of Michigan Ave. The strip of land south of Ogden slip is especially (and unfortunately) relatively lower slung.

Hopefully 400 N LSD and the Tribune expansion actually come to fruition to help balance things out. Other than those, the only buildable space that close to the river are the lots north and south of NBC Tower. I remember something being proposed for the riverside lot, but that was a long time ago and most likely an abandoned project by now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 8:31 PM

March 8

March 11

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction