HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
She doesn't shoot as often as I do, but we do shoot together quite a bit. So I'm going to seamlessly plug her Instagram account >> https://www.instagram.com/amyulo/
Tonight on WGN, a modern Bonnie & Clyde tale of a married couple that frequently go on shooting binges throughout the city post in online forum they enjoy it and plan on doing it again! Tune in for the latest, after sports.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Thanks, gebs. I wish I could say it was an inspired choice, but I was just born in Tombstone, AZ. So, actually...just lazy
Still a great name! It fits perfectly in a festival with the ACTUAL BANDS Bongzilla, Dopelord, Weedeater, and Bongripper.

But I digress ... Nick's photography, whether by good timing, the right light, or his enviable prowess in his craft, shows that this tower will always look different depending on where you are and when you view it.

And it's going to be at least a year before I stop calling it "Vista."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Tonight on WGN, a modern Bonnie & Clyde tale of a married couple that frequently go on shooting binges throughout the city post in online forum they enjoy it and plan on doing it again! Tune in for the latest, after sports.
Hahahah. 100% true. That might be a good pitch to get some PR, actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Still a great name! It fits perfectly in a festival with the ACTUAL BANDS Bongzilla, Dopelord, Weedeater, and Bongripper.

But I digress ... Nick's photography, whether by good timing, the right light, or his enviable prowess in his craft, shows that this tower will always look different depending on where you are and when you view it.

And it's going to be at least a year before I stop calling it "Vista."
In all my time shooting Vista, I've come to accept it's a mercurial tower to photograph. Its color palette at any given time incredibly variable based on sky conditions and the atmosphere.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
In all my time shooting Vista, I've come to accept it's a mercurial tower to photograph. Its color palette at any given time incredibly variable based on sky conditions and the atmosphere.
Do you ever stitch together shots, like a gradient, showing off the way Vista/St Regis shifts with the color of the sky?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Be careful!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Be careful!
I did a double take for a moment too, but I don't think he is standing on shelf ice. That area is concrete.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Do you ever stitch together shots, like a gradient, showing off the way Vista/St Regis shifts with the color of the sky?
I do stitch images together (to 'fit' more into the scene) on occasion. Particularly with Vista and other tall buildings, I need to stack two photos vertically to fit it . BUT I typically keep the settings the same so the brightness/color of the photos are identical for a seamless blend of the frames.

That said, do you mean, like different photos taken on different days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
I did a double take for a moment too, but I don't think he is standing on shelf ice. That area is concrete.
Correct, we were either on the snow-covered concrete, or the packed snow/ice that was atop the concrete seawall ringing the planetarium. Certainly not without it's risks, but they were measured compared to some people I've seen out at North Avenue Beach...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:47 PM

here's a couple badass 8k photos my friend took from his drone yesterday 02/09/21:

click for full size
obligatory: there is no FAA tomfoolery happening, he does this for a living

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:29 PM

Those are some amazing photos. Does your friend have a sharable social media account (preferably Instagram)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
here's a couple badass 8k photos my friend took from his drone yesterday 02/09/21:

click for full size
obligatory: there is no FAA tomfoolery happening, he does this for a living

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I do stitch images together (to 'fit' more into the scene) on occasion. Particularly with Vista and other tall buildings, I need to stack two photos vertically to fit it . BUT I typically keep the settings the same so the brightness/color of the photos are identical for a seamless blend of the frames.

That said, do you mean, like different photos taken on different days?
I don't know if I'm explaining this very well as I don't have the words for it. I was thinking about a gradient of Vista from different days and putting slices of each day side-by-side to get a view of how the tower changes in different lighting. Something a bit like this:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'm explaining this very well as I don't have the words for it. I was thinking about a gradient of Vista from different days and putting slices of each day side-by-side to get a view of how the tower changes in different lighting. Something a bit like this:

this photographer likes to do stuff like that, granted it looks within the same day but similar effect... can see Vista in the right side of the first one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWgWytlOHh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKICX3BlHNE/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKfX4U6FuMf/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:

Ahhh. I got ya, I made this one smooth blend (below) between a day and a night shot some time back. In your example the individual Alices vary a lot more than mine might, because I'd probably try to normalize the white balance/color grading so each slice is more neutral.

I suppose I could do it in horizontal slices instead of vertical, but it would require to be in a very precise spot multiple times. It can be done, but I think a comparison of a multiple photos at different times of day would prove more effective since on any given day the reflections slightly differ from the base to the crown.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Those are some amazing photos. Does your friend have a sharable social media account (preferably Instagram)?
yessir! https://www.instagram.com/aeriformchicago/

he did most of the aerials for "Chicago From The Air" with Geoffrey Baer, super cool stuff.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:08 PM

Thank you sir!!! I wanted to make sure he received the credit for his work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
yessir! https://www.instagram.com/aeriformchicago/

he did most of the aerials for "Chicago From The Air" with Geoffrey Baer, super cool stuff.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:59 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

I love winter!

Vista is very much a winter tower. Goes well with the cerulean lake in the spring, the dark blue lake of the summer, the green radioactive river during Saint Patrick's and the cold, depression blue lake of winter.

Chicago Skyline - Sunset by Ben Conrad, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:21 AM

Nice to see you all these images and also I have got the idea to make the posters of some pictures to stick at the walls of my lash bar

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I love winter!

Vista is very much a winter tower. Goes well with the cerulean lake in the spring, the dark blue lake of the summer, the green radioactive river during Saint Patrick's and the cold, depression blue lake of winter.
Yess. I feel like the seasonality of this tower is a huge part of its appeal. Always responding to it's surroundings. My favorite part of the winter is the massive exhaust plume it adds to the skyline

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:53 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Frozen river. by Brian Kay, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:18 PM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Sweet vid thanks for posting

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction