HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 4:23 PM
under the influence...

I just don't get it. The FAA will allow a 330' Condo to rise under the 3rd runway flight path, yet it wouldn't allow the 210' Cardinal's stadium to be built between flight paths?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex
I just don't get it. The FAA will allow a 330' Condo to rise under the 3rd runway flight path, yet it wouldn't allow the 210' Cardinal's stadium to be built between flight paths?
I think that there are several factors that went into this. The centerpoint towers aren't under any filght path, they're interfering with several airlines "engine out" emergency plans. The airlines will have to alter their plans, and possibly carry less takeoff weight.

Another reason was that the Cardinal's stadium was being built shortly after 911, and there was a tremendous amount of fear about combining airports and large groups of people

Finally, this time Tempe was prepared. This fight was NEVER about safety of flight plans, it was about Phoenix trying to stiffle the deveopment of Tempe. The first time Phoenix tried with the stadium, Tempe was blindsided, but this time Tempe knew what was going to happen and was prepared to fight back. Its absolutely shameful that Phoenix is trying to use the airport to damage neighboring cities development.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 7:21 PM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex
Just a correction: the Cardinals Stadium that was to be built near Priest Drive and Washington Street in Tempe was actually under the direct flight path for the North Runway, not in-between. If you look at the location on Google Earth, and line it up with the runway, planes will have actually flown over the stadium.

-Andrew

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:48 AM
Skyriser

The Cardinals Stadium also had substantial auxillary uses--think of what goes on with football games--blimps, fireworks, bright-ass lights, you name it. There were other projects on the drawing board that would have been perhaps taller and thus the consternation was not without warrant.

I'm surprised the FAA ruled the way they did as I've mentioned before the tower would not have been built in Phoenix under that city's rule of thumb.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:06 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
Just a correction: the Cardinals Stadium that was to be built near Priest Drive and Washington Street in Tempe was actually under the direct flight path for the North Runway, not in-between. If you look at the location on Google Earth, and line it up with the runway, planes will have actually flown over the stadium.

-Andrew
I'm well aware of the controversy. The last location for the stadium in Tempe was not the intersection of Washington and Priest, but rather the sw corner of Washington and Center Drive, where the Trillium apartment complex is now.

If you draw an east/west axis thru the north runway, you would see that the stadium sits south of that axis. As a matter of fact, it would be offset (and as far from) the east end of the north runway as Chase Field is from the west end of the north runway.

The only thing that got the stadium moved was KTAR's now infamous stunt, that sent an audio engineer to record the sound of airplanes as they flew over the Preist/Washington intersection. Those microphones were obviously turned up. If anyone stands at that intersection, the plane noise is a complete non-issue. That stunt embarrassed the Maricopa sports authority, and forced them to reconsider the site. That stunt also pissed me off to no end....

Last edited by vertex; Oct 25, 2006 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:07 AM
them bones

aHH, further proof that there is a city in the Valley that just gets it done...and sadly it isn't Phoenix!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 5:16 AM
Mr Mac

deleted

Last edited by williard; Aug 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 6:08 AM

That seems expensive to me as well, but it does seem as this will be THE place to live in Tempe, so it's probably a good chance that it will appreciate over some time.

Centerpoint seems to be about the equivalent of the CityScape project in Phoenix...except Centerpoint is actually happening, and it's not just being talked about.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 5:47 PM
them bones

$760 per SF? Yikes!

I could swing a condo in Santa Barbara (the most expensive real estate market in the country) for that price. Actually some lower end no-frills no view units just came on the market recently for $630 per SF (but they are horribly designed and incredibly cramped).

Honestly, $500 per SF sounds much more reasonable. Building costs are ridiculous right now (and I'm sure they paid dearly for the land), but shouldn't be much over $400 per SF to build.

If it were me? Centerpointe may be the place in Tempe...but I would never pay that type of price to live there. For that price per SF you could buy yourself a wonderful block house in the neighborhood just to the south of ASU (along College) and renovate the whole thing. You'd live a mile further away, but have a yard, a driveway, and likely no or much less in HOA fees. It it would appreciate much faster.

Last edited by plinko; Oct 25, 2006 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 9:23 PM

Yeah, the prices are just shocking to me. I've always been amazed by the notion that there could be so many people able to afford California prices, so now it REALLY amazes me that there are people willing to pay those prices in Arizona.

/post #7000

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 10:46 AM

http://www.purvinewines.com/
Avenue Communities presents:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 1:29 PM

Wine Lover

What FUN!
loftlovr, I live in Temecula, CA, which is Southern California's wine country. I live about a mile from the main road that meanders through an area containing about 25 wineries. Wine tasting is great fun and it's great to see something like this coming to Tempe. I can't wait to visit! (Just so people know, I am a Phoenix native and lived there for 38 years and visit often)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 6:55 PM

http://www.centerpointaz.com/pdfs/pr091806b.pdf

I think their Sales Office is open...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 7:25 PM

Williard,

Just for comparison purposes, I'm buying a 1000-square-foot condo in downtown Portland, OR. It, too, is a third-floor unit--with views to Portland's West Hills. It was priced at $385/square foot. Granted, I got in on the first phase of pricing, but today's prices are still under $500/square foot. My HOA fees are reasonable at $221/month, but my building doesn't have the concierge service and all the facilities that Centerpoint will have.

Unlike most sectors of the Phoenix metro market, the Portland downtown market is still pretty hot. Still, most new projects start out at only $450-500/square foot. I say "only" simply as a comparative term. In most people's minds, that is still expensive. But in comparison to Centerpoint prices, it seems like a bargain. I, too, looked at Centerpoint (along with other Phoenix and Tempe projects) before I decided to move to Portland. I figured the prices would be high, but I'm really surprised at how high.

Just to provide another bit of perspective, I was seriously considering buying one of the Orchidhouse lofts several years ago. Then, I was price-shocked by $180-240/square foot. At the time, it was very high compared to anything else in the area--including those single family homes in the College Ave. neighborhood that Plinko mentioned. Even now, though, I seriously doubt that third-floor Orchidhouse units are anywhere near $700/square foot. In fact, based on listing information on the website of a local realtor, a fourth-floor, 916-square-foot unit is on the market for $399,000--less than $436/square foot. A 2885-square-foot unit on the seventh floor is going for $1,100,000--less than $382/square foot!

Bottom line for me: the price on your unit seems insanely high. In the current market, it seems as if the developers are playing a very risky game with their pricing. Certainly, the concept of Centerpoint will attract some wealthy buyers, and there are probably a fair number of folks like those of us on the forum who are committed to being part of this kind of urban development. But I can't imagine the average Phoenix-area buyer will be happy with these kinds of smaller spaces for such big dollars. At least not yet. The urban mindset is just too small a corner of the market right now.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 1:21 PM

Question How are they doing it?

http://www.centerpointaz.com/pdfs/pr091806b.pdf

This states that phase two completion is just slightly behind phase one and that this moves up the construction schedule by 18 months. They seem to be going full steam ahead. With that kind of investment (if they are being honest with us) they must have some solid market research to back up their decision. Its hard to believe any developer in the market right now. Maybe Tempe is even hotter than we thought.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 7:16 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...40#post2413540

A pictoral update for my skyscraper friends!
Has anyone else had trouble logging in over the past 2 days?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 8:13 AM

Project Map

Here is a nice interactive map, within a map, within a map. Most of the current Tempe projects are within the north map and then click on the area just left of Sun Devil Stadium for an enlargement of the downtown area. Click on the red numbered stars and the project name is hi-lited at the top. I like it

http://www.tempe.gov/business/Develo...rojectsMap.htm

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 9:28 AM

JimInCal-
Thanks so much for that!
I just spent an hour on that puppy...
What a great idea for the site!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal
Love it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 3:31 PM

Holy shit, that might be the best interactive website I've ever seen in relation to planned and current projects.

A couple things:

One, is the new Tempe transportation center going to include all of the bus transfer points? Right now College ave is a pretty large bus area, making it a little pedestrian unfriendly. If they move all of that to the transportation center, the whole area (college ave) would be that much better.

Plus, I noticed the "block 12" development at College, south of 6th st. That would be f'in awesome if that puppy was developed. As it is right now, the area between The Towers (and Julios Too and that new cool building - forgot its name) and south college, with the College Ave deli and the Newman center and the ASU foundation building with the shops/restaurants are pretty cut off from each other because of dead zone that is "block 12". That would be huge if that were developed... it would definitely become a mini-mill ave (assuming a couple more bars were included in the block 12 project, to go along with Fumbles and (kind of) Julios Too). I would hate, though, to see those historic homes demo'ed at the southwest corner of the block 12 site. I would hope they'd be saved/incorporated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest