HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 12:59 PM

Sachs has the story but the photos are courtesy Kevin J Beaty

Hey, look, the Platte Street Plaza project is done
July 9, 2020 -Denverite

Also from Mile High CRE photo courtesy of Unico Properties
July 8, 2020
Quote:
Designed by Dig Studio and constructed by Swinerton Construction, Platte Street Plaza received a grant through the Urban Forest Initiative’s Build the Canopy Grant Program for the new trees. This program is a collaboration between the Downtown Denver Partnership, Downtown Denver Business Improvement District, and the City & County of Denver, with funding support from private donors.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 9:10 PM

Me & Bobby McGee plus a few buddies found a new home

Overture 9th + CO 55+ Apartment Homes
4205 E 10th Ave, Denver, CO 80220 – Hale

Images courtesy of Greystar via Apartments.com

Greystar’s First “Active Adult” Community Opens at 9th + Colorado
July 9, 2020 - Mile High CRE
Quote:
Overture 9th + Co is Greystar’s first new “active adult” property to be built in the Denver region. Offering an upscale living environment for adults over the age of 55, Overture is the culmination of Greystar’s experience in development, construction and property management, creating the perfect balance of amenities, finishes and services in an age-focused living environment.

The 9-story high-rise includes 207 contemporary apartments filled with designer finishes and fixtures, such as quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, wood-style plank flooring, large walk-in closets and full size in-unit washers and dryers. Residences include spacious studio, one- and two-bedroom apartment homes ranging from 519–1,356 square feet. Rents start in the $1,500s and the project architect is Meeks + Partners.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 9:57 PM

Me & Bobby McGee plus a few buddies decided "Why pay High $ rent when we can buy Cheap Condos"

Photo Courtesy City of Denver via Fox 31/BusinessDen

La Tela

Rendering Courtesy Elevation Community Land Trust via Mile High CRE

Construction begins on 92-unit income-restricted condo building in Lincoln Park
Jul 8, 2020 By Thomas Gounley - BusinessDen
Quote:
A groundbreaking ceremony was held last week for La Tela, which is going up at 603 N. Inca St., a corner lot along 6th Avenue. The project is being developed by the Elevation Community Land Trust and Shanahan Development; the Urban Land Conservancy is also involved.

All the units will be reserved for buyers making up to 80 percent AMI, which currently translates to $54,950 for a single-person household or up to $78,500 for a four-person household. Initial pricing for the units ranges from $149,900 to $199,900.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:59 PM

Been away for a couple weeks, so to catch up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Block 162 Update: 6/27/2020

Despite its height and location, I'm surprised to see it's making more of an impact on the skyline than I thought it would. Even from the west side with the Hyatt in front of it, the Hyatt is slender enough to allow Block 162 to make its presence felt. Best of all, the blank wall of Dominion Plaza is now hidden!
Those photos are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Just a brief observation: it's a little hard to tell for sure, but judging from your photos, Block 162 looks to be around the same height as (and possibly just a little bit taller than) the Hyatt Regency in front of it. I know the Hyatt stands 489' / 149m tall. Most of the sources I'd read put Block 162's height at around 450', but is it possible it could actually be quite a bit higher than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
2020 claimed my camera so I had to get a new one. Here's some skyline candy for you guys. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this crazy time!
More awesome photos! Those look amazing! Did you use any special filters? This looks like a much better, nicer, and more colorful version of this picture from the Wikipedia article on Denver (maybe it's time to update that old photo? ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
This is Denver's 20 year master plan for parks and public spaces. IMO converting some of parking Coors Field has would be a great opportunity that would provide another big park downtown, and motivate more residential development in the area. It's a fun read, especially for anyone having an indoor holiday from potential covid exposure. Stay safe out there.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...Plan-FINAL.pdf
Thanks for sharing, this'll be a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Buzz Geller definitely a greater threat to development than COVID.

If it helps, I still blame him for the failure of 650 17th. Yeah, I know that project was a long-shot by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes it's just easier to have a single person to point the finger at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I’d like to see Kairoi build a real high rise in Denver like they are currently building in Austin. I don’t understand why a smaller metro like Austin can get all of these new high rises but Denver cannot unless the land/construction prices are just too expensive here.
You and me both.

Then again, to be fair, Austin is actually the larger city (nearly 1 million people compared to 700,000 in Denver), and they're also close to an even larger city, San Antonio (about 1.5 million people). Metro area-wise, Denver's is just slightly larger than Austin's, but I would argue that Austin is close enough to San Antonio that they could be considered part of the same metro area (and by that same token, even if you expanded Denver's to include the Springs, Greeley, and Ft. Collins, San Antonio/Austin's would still be bigger). It could be argued that the current building boom in Austin is just them hitting their "natural share" of number of high-rises, whereas we already hit ours... in the 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sachs has the story but the photos are courtesy Kevin J Beaty

Hey, look, the Platte Street Plaza project is done
July 9, 2020 -Denverite
Looks great! Kudos to the photographer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:48 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4isoar View Post
...Then again, to be fair, Austin is actually the larger city (nearly 1 million people compared to 700,000 in Denver), and they're also close to an even larger city, San Antonio (about 1.5 million people). Metro area-wise, Denver's is just slightly larger than Austin's, but I would argue that Austin is close enough to San Antonio that they could be considered part of the same metro area (and by that same token, even if you expanded Denver's to include the Springs, Greeley, and Ft. Collins, San Antonio/Austin's would still be bigger). It could be argued that the current building boom in Austin is just them hitting their "natural share" of number of high-rises, whereas we already hit ours... in the 1980s...
Huh? Austin's CSA (larger metric than an MSA) is 2.3mm, Denver's is 3.6mm. Beltway to beltway, Houston and Austin are 60 miles apart. Not sure of your logic there and only point it out because Austin punches WAY above it's weight for quality of architecture and number of high rises as it relates to population. Other than the banking boom in Charlotte, NC in the 90's/00's which brought a bunch of beautiful but lifeless downtown skyscrapers to a very modest city, I'm not aware of another standalone metro as small as Austin that gets the kind of high rises Austin is getting (but would love to be wrong!).

It's all tech centered in Austin, so as long as that tech money keeps flowing, they'll continue getting awesome new buildings. In Denver, we get tech companies like Salesforce who choose to occupy a crappy 1980's office tower! It's just a different way of thinking in Denver...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:06 PM

Although VW is relatively close to the station as the crow flies, it has horrible pedestrian connection. One would have to cross Alameda then walk along the trench to Cherokee. Being west of the RR tracks is a HUGE difference... Developers are paying 3x as much per square foot of land just east of the railroad tracks, look at all development there, but these sites on the east side are closer to the station and existing mixed use residential & retail areas.

The other active development along this stretch of Santa Fe is a Kum & Go between VW and HD.... Despite proximtiy to the station, it still a industrial/highway retail corridor.

When a station lacks a bridge over the tracks, it basically halves its effectiveness. Maybe future generations can fix this.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:07 PM

As for the new name for the Stapleton neighborhood I would go with Concourse, to reflect the site’s airport history. Meadowlark would probably be my second choice. The other names are too generic or are of people I’m not really familiar with. I can see them naming it after a person and years later negative information comes up about them and the neighborhood has to be renamed again.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:50 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
As for the new name for the Stapleton neighborhood I would go with Concourse, to reflect the site’s airport history. Meadowlark would probably be my second choice. The other names are too generic or are of people I’m not really familiar with. I can see them naming it after a person and years later negative information comes up about them and the neighborhood has to be renamed again.
That's the rational that's been flounced around by my suburban brethren in the neighborhood and I find it to be a weak, spineless excuse to avoid naming the area after a person of color. If the bar is that it was named after a member of the KKK, that's a low clearance. As long as you didn't murder, rape, or molest someone you should be clear.

Mosley is my first choice followed by Meadowlark. Concourse is isn't in my top three, though it's better than Skyview (which is better than that Skyfield POS that was getting pushed).

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Huh? Austin's CSA (larger metric than an MSA) is 2.3mm, Denver's is 3.6mm. Beltway to beltway, Houston and Austin are 60 miles apart. Not sure of your logic there and only point it out because Austin punches WAY above it's weight for quality of architecture and number of high rises as it relates to population.
Fair enough. I think it all just comes down to how you define "metro area". But I also think Austin's close proximity to other (and larger cities) like San Antonio, Houston, and the DFW Metroplex helps it out a lot, because it means tech companies can set up shop there and still have access to markets and talent in Houston, Dallas, College Station, etc. Whereas Denver on the other hand is relatively isolated (I recall reading somewhere once that "Denver is the largest city for 600 miles in every direction").

Another important difference: Denver's CSA might be 3.3 mil people (or 2.9 or up to 3.6, depending on the source), but the City and County of Denver itself is only about 720,000 residents (so about 22% of the metro area's population). Austin's CSA might be around 2.3 mil, but the actual City of Austin is about 980,000 people (about 42%, nearly twice of Denver's). I think that's important because it shows that, proportionately, more of Denver's population lives out in the suburbs, while more of Austin's is concentrated in the core city, and that definitely drives up demand for high-rises.

Quote:
I'm not aware of another standalone metro as small as Austin that gets the kind of high rises Austin is getting (but would love to be wrong!).
Las Vegas.

Quote:
It's all tech centered in Austin, so as long as that tech money keeps flowing, they'll continue getting awesome new buildings. In Denver, we get tech companies like Salesforce who choose to occupy a crappy 1980's office tower! It's just a different way of thinking in Denver...
Agreed. But as I'd mentioned above, I think it's at least partly a matter of Austin being closer to three larger metro areas nearby from whom they can attract talent (including architects and engineers to design those awesome new buildings), attract investment, and also compete against them as to who offers the nicest workplaces or the best quality-of-life. Denver's nearest "competitor cities" are the Springs and... I guess Greeley and Pueblo, so there isn't the same motivation to build gleaming new corporate offices with all the latest amenities. (Though I suppose that for purposes of attracting talent from Greeley, simply not smelling like the JBS plant is an amenity all of its own ).

But I also do believe that we can and should hold our city to higher standards, and I wish there was a way that folks like us on this forum could reach out to and actively influence City Council members, engineers, and developers to produce the kind of projects we'd like to see.

Last edited by i4isoar; Jul 14, 2020 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:43 AM
Never Dell

I disagree totally.

The population within city limits has basically nothing to do with the skyline. It also has very little to do with what the city is like on the ground, or what acts like the inner city vs. suburbs.

If Denver annexed another 100 square miles and added 500,000 residents tomorrow, it would have no bearing on how dense that land is, or how many highrises are merited.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I disagree totally.
You would and while you might be correct you miss the mark.

i4isoar - while I understand your thinking; it's logical enough but it also misses the mark.

Where's jbssfelix (who's lived in Austin) when you need him? We'll settle for a recent quote of his from the Transportation thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
I would agree. Austin definitely has the tech boom going for it, but it's downtown is only as tall as it is because it's core downtown acreage is more geographically limited compared to Denver (bounded by the river, and MoPac/I-35), so a lot of space tries to cram into those confines.

Denver has a lot of open land within the urban core, so there isn't as much incentive to build tall when you can still build out.
The other key is that every place has a history and a story to tell.

For starters Austin is in Texas and Denver is in Colorado. Austin's story goes back to 1992; SXSW was the catalyst.

The other key was that Texas was obsessively on a mission to duplicate California's success. Lacking the Pacific Ocean it's strategy was to be ultra-business friendly. They did have lots of oil & gas wealth to seed their ambitions. Generally, Dallas was the biggest (early) beneficiary.

Then along came Apple.
Quote:
Apple Comes to Austin

Apple arrived in Austin in 1992 with an office lease of roughly 200,000 SF at Promontory Point in Northeast Austin. In the same year, the company purchased land at what is now 7700 Parmer from the Robinson family with the intention of building a campus for its Austin division.
Apple is notoriously secretive, notoriously cheap in driving a hard bargain. Austin provided the winning opportunity that met their criteria and as the saying goes the rest is history. SXSW was the enchantment catalyst while the University of Texas main campus was surely another plus.

Eventually Google followed with a growing footprint and to a lesser extent Facebook. Plus Austin had their own homegrown companies as well.

Denver/Boulder and Colorado are wonderful places for all the reasons "we love it" but it has never had the Bell Cows that cities like Austin and Seattle have. It has long had a tech presence (going way back to IBM and Hewlett-Packard etc) but it never evolved to the top of the food chain.

But who cares? Not me.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4isoar View Post
Another important difference: Denver's CSA might be 3.3 mil people (or 2.9 or up to 3.6, depending on the source), but the City and County of Denver itself is only about 720,000 residents (so about 22% of the metro area's population). Austin's CSA might be around 2.3 mil, but the actual City of Austin is about 980,000 people (about 42%, nearly twice of Denver's). I think that's important because it shows that, proportionately, more of Denver's population lives out in the suburbs, while more of Austin's is concentrated in the core city, and that definitely drives up demand for high-rises.
This argument is completely nonsensical. Every city is a different size geographically which doesn't necessarily correlate to the size of its metro. Some metros (and Austin especially) contain a large amount of suburban development within the "city" while other metros contain very urban areas "out in the suburbs" (your words). By your logic, sprawly, sparsely-populated San Antonio, with its 1.5 million residents in a metro of 2.5 million has far more demand for urban living and high-rises than puny little Miami with 400K residents in a metro of 6 million.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That's the rational that's been flounced around by my suburban brethren in the neighborhood and I find it to be a weak, spineless excuse to avoid naming the area after a person of color. If the bar is that it was named after a member of the KKK, that's a low clearance. As long as you didn't murder, rape, or molest someone you should be clear.

Mosley is my first choice followed by Meadowlark. Concourse is isn't in my top three, though it's better than Skyview (which is better than that Skyfield POS that was getting pushed).
Honestly though people will still call it Stapleton for the foreseeable future. I liked the name Montview but it didn't make it to the short list. Central Park probably offends the least number of people, is the name of the train station that serves the neighborhood, the name of one of the primary thoroughfares and the name of the largest park/green space.

Speaking of Stapleton (see..) there is a new affordable condo building currently under construction at 36th & Central Park Blvd.

https://www.newhomesource.com/plan/c...ver-co/1181872

This is near the new Sprouts on CPB that will be opening later this month. The residential portion is supposed to start later this year and includes for-sale condos. This is the first project as part of the larger Central Park Station TOD.

https://frontporchne.com/article/spr...-park-station/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Where's jbssfelix (who's lived in Austin) when you need him? We'll settle for a recent quote of his from the Transportation thread.

You rang?

Austin and Denver are both geographical sprawlvilles with little geographical restrictions (I-25 = I-35...more and more will build along that line ad infinitum). However, as was quoted, Austin's downtown CBD has a relatively small footprint (really about 12 blocks squared). After that, it drops off precipitously. Granted, denser development is starting to leak over I-35 to the east, but that's still 8 stories max with the new Plaza Saltillo development.

Note Austin's explosion of downtown growth from near-nothing (pre-SXSW boom) to now.

Against Denver's bigger, but slower skyline growth.
2005:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:24 PM

Here's my theory as to Austin outpacing Denver in terms of new skyscrapers:

Whatever part of Austin's downtown that is zoned for skyscrapers is a red-hot real estate market. Denver's CBD OTOH, is lukewarm. Denver's downtown neighborhoods that have been red hot lately are zoned for low/mid-rise. If say Union Station or Golden Triangle were zoned for high-rise, we'd be looking at a different skyline.

Also, as explosive as Denver's growth has been, it pales in comparison to Austin. No city in the country has been growing like Austin. It's simply a hotter real estate market.

Anyway, that's my totally uneducated theory.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:44 PM

Central Park is kind of a silly name for the neighborhood, and frankly for the park as well.

Q: What is Central Park central to?

A: Why it’s in the center of Central Park, the neighborhood, of course.

Unlike New York’s CP which is in the middle of Manhattan and is a place of relief and joy for people of all incomes and corners of the island, Denver’s Central Park is self-referential and self-contained, reinforcing the reality that it is closed off to the rest of the city and exists in its own universe. It was a great opportunity to expand the city’s grid and historical mixed used pattern. The street named Central Park Blvd is just an extension of Yosemite, so why didn’t it take that name? Because it has to be distinguished from the (at the time) lower income neighborhoods that surround it.

This is a long time pet peeve of mine. /rant

Also--agree with Sam Hill's take on why Denver's high rise growth has been anemic. Ken has talked about this in the past as well. Our hot areas for the last 10 years are mostly zoned mid to low rise. Given the current state of things, I don't see the CBD becoming a hip, cutting edge area any time soon.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:51 PM

I hate Central Park the name, the park, the stroad, and the rail station. However, I hate that RTD names their stations after car corridors, not places. If the neighborhood gets renamed to Central Park, at least the station name will finally makes sense.

Ultimately, the "neighborhood" formerly know as Stapleton still sucks on every level and should be devolved from the rest of the city, then every stroller mom should be tactically nuked from orbit.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:19 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Ultimately, the "neighborhood" formerly know as Stapleton still sucks on every level and should be devolved from the rest of the city, then every stroller mom should be tactically nuked from orbit.

Don't hate the neighborhood that's provided the greatest growth to offset the emptying of your sad, decaying Uptown area....

The neighborhood formerly known as Stapleton: Where we pretend we still live in the city.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:

I'm not a BLM member; call me BLM-friendly; basically my activist days are behind me. I wouldn't object to naming it after a person but not sure over time it's all that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
Perfect for my tastes; either one sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Honestly though people will still call it Stapleton for the foreseeable future. I liked the name Montview but it didn't make it to the short list. Central Park probably offends the least number of people, is the name of the train station that serves the neighborhood, the name of one of the primary thoroughfares and the name of the largest park/green space.
Montview would have been fine but I assume it wasn't original or creative enough. Wasn't aware "Central Park" was being considered but it's not bad.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Don't hate the neighborhood that's provided the greatest growth to offset the emptying of your sad, decaying Uptown area....

The neighborhood formerly known as Stapleton: Where we pretend we still live in the city.
Thank, wong. This guys gets it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West