HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:12 PM
opinionated so and so

The peninsula had a higher population in part because of families having more children. The height of the population boom corresponds with the baby boom getting fully underway. At one time St Thomas school, right around the corner from me, had 750 kids in it, now LMST school is considered full with 350 in it. No nuns lining 'em up 45 per classroom, slapping their knuckles with a ruler if they step out of line, now the classrooms are crowded if 25 kids are in them, and some classrooms are now libraries, art, music etc. The house I live in was turned into 2 apartments in the 1940s (probably a war time conversion) and had families living in both units - had 10-12 people living in the building then, now has six.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:26 PM

I would note that in a lot of peninsula areas there are existing conversion clauses that allow a house to be converted into multiple dwelling units provided that you have enough parking. Part of the issue with that was that there were a lot of houses becoming rooming houses which is why the floor area ratio rules came into place.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:11 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
The peninsula had a higher population in part because of families having more children. The height of the population boom corresponds with the baby boom getting fully underway. At one time St Thomas school, right around the corner from me, had 750 kids in it, now LMST school is considered full with 350 in it. No nuns lining 'em up 45 per classroom, slapping their knuckles with a ruler if they step out of line, now the classrooms are crowded if 25 kids are in them, and some classrooms are now libraries, art, music etc. The house I live in was turned into 2 apartments in the 1940s (probably a war time conversion) and had families living in both units - had 10-12 people living in the building then, now has six.
Great point. My class sizes were 30+ when I was in school... now these parents complain if there are more than 20 kids, yet they still have power to lobby for things. Its funny how that all worked out.

I'm a free market kind of guy, but HRM needs to stop allowing the city to expand or increase taxes further from the core.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:34 AM

Regional Council will hold a pubic hearing on this proposal on April 29th, 2014. The vote was 9-7.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:26 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Regional Council will hold a pubic hearing on this proposal on April 29th, 2014. The vote was 9-7.
Great, public hearings ALWAYS go well

This thing will be 2 stories by the time the crazies get through with it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:53 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Great, public hearings ALWAYS go well

This thing will be 2 stories by the time the crazies get through with it.
There is ALWAYS a public hearing before an MPS amendment. THat was not the decision. The decision was to uphold the staff decision and take it to that to the hearing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Interesting discussion. I've been enjoying the information posted by all in this thread.

So is there a trend among the younger generation to aspire to live in an apartment?
I don't mean to bring back an old conversation but I do want to add my response to this question.

When it comes to the younger generation now living independently there are quite a few factors that could lead them to this decision. Firstly student debt is now the norm and you have these adults graduating with a mountain of debt; not to mention that a lot of these university degrees don't have careers at the end of them. So if the young adults aren't making the money, they aren't paying off their student loans and a mortgage on a house is out of the question. Worst case scenario though.

It's not necessarily apartment living but multi-housing lifestyle that's coming into a young professional's consideration. It's not limited to apartments but condos, townhouses, attached homes, low-rise, high-rise, and everything inbetween. Not every highrise tower isn't community oriented; a knit community really depends on the kind of demographic that the area seems to attract. I hate to throw a comparison in that no one is going to understand but in Winnipeg the Wolesley neighbourhood is filled with hipsters and attracts that kind of a demographic so that neighbourhood is more community oriented than others in that city. There are also many advantages to multi-housing living versus single-family living, so let's compare!

In a multi-housing unit you pay per month (either by rent or condo fees) services and amenities that could include repairs, a swimming pool, gym, lawn/snow management. Multi-housing units are ideally located near shops, frequently serviced transit routes, and the like. In an ideal multi-living situation you would prefer taking public transportation (saving you BIG money on a car (plus gas)), save money on a gym membership (maybe), and not be trapped in a real estate property for a long time via a mortgage. Also ideally, a multi-housing complex is located nearby entertainment venues a walk away.

I have lived in Winnipeg, Toronto, and now Vancouver and I really don't know what the more dense parts of Halifax are like so the advantages of living in a dense neighbourhood over there, may not have became apparent yet. But as a young professional (who is NOT in debt because it gave me anxiety lol) I have to cut costs in order to really live the GOOD years the way I want to. I travel, I go out and enjoy the nightlife, I am a part of a busy city but I'm also financially smart about it.

I feel that the whole "house with a white-picket fence" is an outdated dream. And I would even say that in a lot of ways, it was an ultimatum for that generation. House prices anywhere in Canada are expensive to the point where younger people really have to decide if it is what they want from life. For some people it will be the right decision, but for others, not so much.

To me the younger generation is thinking outside of the house. That lifestyle may not suit them. You can raise a family in the right apartment/condo. It's just the difference of whether you want to shovel your own driveway and revolve your life around a piece of property (for the most part).

And that's my two cents

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I don't mean to bring back an old conversation but I do want to add my response to this question...

...And that's my two cents
Hey, thanks for the informative and well thought-out response!

I haven't checked this thread in awhile, so thanks to the other responders as well.

I find it interesting and encouraging that the younger generations are typically really giving a lot of thought as to how they want to live their lives, rather than trying to fill in the mold that their parents set out for them. I think, of course, that there will be as many different answers as there are individuals answering the question, but what is most interesting is that items which used to be considered status symbols, like a huge house and expensive automobile, are now being looked at as baggage that holds us back from what we'd really rather be doing with our lives. I think that is a really healthy way of thinking.

Good discussion! Thanks for enlightening me on your perspective.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
There is ALWAYS a public hearing before an MPS amendment. THat was not the decision. The decision was to uphold the staff decision and take it to that to the hearing.
A very similar to process to that apartment buildings in Dartmouth that didn't get approval for first reading.

Glad to see at least it went to a public hearing; although I'm skeptical that the opinions that will be expressed are necessarily a fair or accurate reaction, but that's just my opinion.

That said, I think the broader issue is that the Regional Centre plan needs to get done...sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
what is most interesting is that items which used to be considered status symbols, like a huge house and expensive automobile, are now being looked at as baggage that holds us back from what we'd really rather be doing with our lives.
I think in a lot of ways the very concept of "status symbols" has kind of fallen flat with my generation (I'm 26). I have a few friends with over-the-top nice cars and a couple who own houses (although for practical, not status, reasons) but for the most part "status symbols" are not worth having (or might be seen as kind of dickish). If anything, having cool experiences to brag about is the new status symbol (and generally involves travel).

I wouldn't say this is the case everywhere; where I lived in BC having a nice truck and a nice "sled" (snowmobile) WERE absolutely seen as status symbols. I think the "experience-as-status-symbol" is kind of a hipster thing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:49 PM

Re: status symbols - it really hasn't changed fundamentally. I still see Porsche Cayennes, big BMWs and Benzes, etc, every day. Often they are headed to the chipboard McMansions in the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 1:31 AM

No public hearing was held for this - the application was withdrawn.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:51 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Well I hope Waye is happy with himself
No I am not. I voted AGAINST this. Councillor Adams convinced a majority of council to rescind the motion that started the hearing. This means for now it is R2A and that the owner can take a run at it again at a different time.

I think this will result in further waste of staff time and taxpayers money and end up with largely the same result.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:17 PM

These personal attacks sure are adding a lot to the conversation.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
These personal attacks sure are adding a lot to the conversation.
Agreed.

I disagree with Waye on this proposal, but he's done a lot of great things for the city, and other proposals/developments, including showing some guts/spine in that recent Op-Ed on the Convention Centre.

Also, he's a great resource for knowledge/procedure/events at HRM council to have on this forum...

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Somehow I doubt you'll be apart of council to vote for or against it next time it comes up
I think he'll be re-elected. Voters see that he puts the time in and understands the issues and the city in a broader context.
Adams was a disgrace last night when he was arguing with members of the public. He should have risen on a point of order, addressed the mayor,made his point and sat down. Being a loon to another loon is silly.
Savage should have shut the first guy down and told him to take a deep breath to compose himself before continuing with his , I hesitate to use the word, 'presentation'.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I think he'll be re-elected. Voters see that he puts the time in and understands the issues and the city in a broader context.
Adams was a disgrace last night when he was arguing with members of the public. He should have risen on a point of order, addressed the mayor,made his point and sat down. Being a loon to another loon is silly.
Savage should have shut the first guy down and told him to take a deep breath to compose himself before continuing with his , I hesitate to use the word, 'presentation'.
Who was the presenter?

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Who was the presenter?
I think his name was Blouin. Agitated and with a short fuse.
Watch the video when it is posted on the HRM website. Adams twice interrupts speakers, the second time you can hear him in the background arguing with someone.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I think his name was Blouin. Agitated and with a short fuse.
Watch the video when it is posted on the HRM website. Adams twice interrupts speakers, the second time you can hear him in the background arguing with someone.
They did attempt a few times to set a limit to what could be said.
Frankly the first one was a pip.
The personal attacks on Waye are NOT helpful and even though I'm not a moderator (polite hint for DJ to weight in here); personal attacks are not allowed on the forum. Disagree if you will (we do a lot); but personal attacks - can em.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:32 PM

^halifaxboyns is correct that personal attacks are not allowed on the forum. A couple of posts, therefore, have been deleted.

If anyone sees an inappropriate post please do report it via the option on the top right of every post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth