HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Great American Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Cincinnati Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 12:41 AM
E pluribus unum

I'm a Cincinnati native, and love the town with all my heart, but the Queen City is most definitely getting screwed on this one. That crown is way too gaudy and needs to be toned down (if anything, to resemble the drawing ThrashAtl posted a few posts up).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 9:27 PM

To each his own. Some people like the crown, such as myself. Other's don't. At least we're getting something taller than Carew Tower! And yes, it's official now. The news announcement was just made on television, and it is indeed going to be built. Construction starts next Summer.

'Bout darned time. This city has needed this for years.

Last edited by secondson; Dec 20, 2007 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 10:41 PM

To recap, phase II is already finished. This tower is phase I.

The site of the new tower is where the old orange parking garage stands in this photo. Construction should begin on an arguably unrelated project in the empty lot at center in 2008 as well, somewhere between 15-20 floors.

A 2002 view of the lot where Queen City Square phase II was built 2003-2005, with the orange garage.

2003 view of excavation for Queen City Square phase II:

Phase II under construction:

A 2005 view from the top of the garage that will be demolished.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Dec 20, 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 2:50 AM

Here's a link to a video posted on the Cincinnati NBC station's website from their live coverage of the announcement today. The building will be known as the Great American building at Queen City Square. American Financial Group has leased nearly 2/3 of the space (500,000 sq ft. of the 800,000 sq ft building).

Last edited by OhioGuy; Dec 21, 2007 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 3:10 AM
marcus

Woah, so is this beauty under construction?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 5:30 AM

w00t!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 8:33 AM
Posh

Wow great news! I sorta like this design, glad to see it's finally gonna be built.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 11:15 PM

i really like the design and am glad it's getting built. i'll look forward to seeing its progression in the future.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 3:56 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I like to see the design flatten out & be more thinner but I do like the idea of the crown. It will be a nice addition to the Cincy skyline.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 12:34 AM

Glad this is finally moving forward. Seems like it was a decade ago when it was first announced.

I do feel that the crown portion is out of scale with the rest of the building. I think a more subtle top would make the building more elegant and refined.

Then again, Carew wouldn't exactly win any beauty contests itself but I've always loved that building. So I'm sure I'll feel the same about this one.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 8:34 PM

I wonder if the crown is habitable, somewhat like a glass atrium. It'd be cool if there were an observation area in the glass crown. That'd make for some dramatic views.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 1:21 AM

That would be a cool idea, but just going by the Aegon Center in Louisville, it probably won't be open. Even if it was open though, the view wouldn't be too much higher than the view from Carew Tower. Doesn't it have an ob deck? I thought I heard somewhere that it has one, I've never been into the CBD myself so excuse me if I'm wrong lol.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 1:24 AM
E pluribus unum

The Carew Tower does indeed have an observation deck, and its on the roof

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 5:32 PM
JUNCTA JUVANT

byrdman, I just found this thread ... I've started one in the midwest section with renderings a model, etc ...

Link:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=143086

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:25 AM

I'm probably gonna get alot of shit for saying this; but honestly, of all the cities building a new tallest building, this one is the most unique, and mos def my favorite (with the exception of Nashville's Sig. Tower and The Chi Town Spire) Everyone complains that Cincy's skyline is too plain with boring short boxy buildings, and soon as we get a unique, un-traditional skyscraper proposal everyone says the design is too fucked up. All I can say is 1.) That no other building in America has a crown like this, 2.) This will be the third best looking skyscraper in Ohio (Behind Terminal and Key Tower) 3.) This (along with The Banks project) will open a new window for residential and commercial construction downtown 4.) Queen City Square Tower>>>>> Chase Tower Indiana, Rhodes Tower Columbus, US Steel Tower Pittsburgh, Ren Cen Detroit.

You can call me insane, I call it optimistic

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:56 AM
i like stuff

I'm not going to lie this is one outdated and ugly building. I was hoping it would get canceled and replaced with something more interesting but whatever at least Cincy is getting a new highrise for once.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 5:24 AM
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
I'm not going to lie this is one outdated and ugly building. I was hoping it would get canceled and replaced with something more interesting but whatever at least Cincy is getting a new highrise for once.
... because Lexington is chock-full of skyscrapers and is putting them up left and right.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdman View Post
I'm probably gonna get alot of shit for saying this; but honestly, of all the cities building a new tallest building, this one is the most unique...
Well, I wouldn't go that far, save for the tiara, there's not that much the building has to make it "unique" along the line of Chi Spire, Museum Plaza, and Sig. Tower (yes, I meant to throw in MP b/c you can't deny it is one very unique "city's tallest").

Don't get me wrong, I really love the design altogether, I just think the "tiara" is the only thing that makes this building different. Congrats Cincy! It'll be great to see Louisville's MP and Cincinnati's QCS rising around the same time. I might have to take a trip up there once things really start moving. I don't really see why people find this tower ugly, but to each his own I guess...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:12 AM
i like stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatis View Post
... because Lexington is chock-full of skyscrapers and is putting them up left and right.
how does this pertain to Lexington but what I was trying to say that Cincinnati deserves better. It's personally my favorite city but go ahead bash Lexington if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:19 AM
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
how does this pertain to Lexington but what I was trying to say that Cincinnati deserves better. It's personally my favorite city but go ahead bash Lexington if it makes you feel better about yourself.
I never bashed Lexington. I apologize if I misunderstood your response. I took it as "they're finally getting a new highrise" (which it is about f*cking time), so it came off that you sounded like you were from Chicago or something ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive