HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:26 PM

Much closer to Salt Lake than Ogden, but Davis County stuff usually goes in this thread so I'll put it here. This is a project on the corner of Center Street and Highway 89 in North Salt Lake. It looks like the corner building is maybe office, and the wings are multifamily (with additional multifamily in the back). There is quite a bit of infill apartments, townhomes and high density single family going in along Highway 89. I think that is a good use for that stretch, as it is replacing a lot of run down buildings and used car lots.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 12:01 AM
Space Magi

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:10 AM

USU Design Center

Is the Cache Valley thread deleted?

Here's something proposed up at USU in Logan:

https://www.sparanomooney.com/design-center

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:43 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is the Cache Valley thread deleted?

Here's something proposed up at USU in Logan:

https://www.sparanomooney.com/design-center
Nice. I didn't know they wanted to build on that field. Makes sense though, and that bridge will be really nice to have in the winter.

Considering the huge growth in engineering majors (mostly in Mechanical and Aerospace at USU, from what I hear), I think that would have been a good spot for a new engineering building. Unless they tear some of those old dorms down or build on a parking lot (and parking sucks already), there really isn't any space for more engineering buildings.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Nice. I didn't know they wanted to build on that field. Makes sense though, and that bridge will be really nice to have in the winter.

Considering the huge growth in engineering majors (mostly in Mechanical and Aerospace at USU, from what I hear), I think that would have been a good spot for a new engineering building. Unless they tear some of those old dorms down or build on a parking lot (and parking sucks already), there really isn't any space for more engineering buildings.
It’s for the consolidation of the University’s design programs and resources, potentially into a new “College of Design and Environment” something or other at USU

Landscape Architecture
Environmental Planning (future urban design/geo design program rumors)
Bioregional Planning/Design
Outdoor Product Design (has seen astronomical growth)
Interior Design
Residential Landscape Design
Future Permaculture Design Program
Potentially a few others.

That piece of land was a land swap with the Mormon church, there used to be a chapel on it but they traded it for a similarly sized parcel a few blocks north.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:42 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Took some pictures of the new ride being built at Lagoon this past Friday (July 3rd):

576D505B-52B1-47E3-9B08-DC2CB60035BD by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr

8B797259-D530-4B83-984F-B94C9AEC22DF by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr

BCEDEED2-67AF-41E1-8B05-BB19138E6883 by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr

Last edited by Reeder113; Jul 6, 2020 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:50 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Took some pictures of the new ride being built at Lagoon this past Friday (July 3rd):

576D505B-52B1-47E3-9B08-DC2CB60035BD by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr

8B797259-D530-4B83-984F-B94C9AEC22DF by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr

BCEDEED2-67AF-41E1-8B05-BB19138E6883 by Reed Eriksson, on Flickr
A, That is the worlds cleanest job site and construction supplies and construction equipment is off frame or B, noting is happening and construction is on hold.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 11:12 AM

This looks like something being built at Universal City. Lagoon isn't that cute regional amusement park I grew up with anymore.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:24 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
A, That is the worlds cleanest job site and construction supplies and construction equipment is off frame or B, noting is happening and construction is on hold.
I thought the same thing. Seemed abnormally quiet for such a large construction project. It WAS a holiday weekend, so maybe they were off work. But that doesn't account for all the missing materials. Unless they're behind the structure. I hope they can finish it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 5:06 PM

It's not slated to be completed until the 2021 season. Lagoon is calling it a game changer. The video preview looks very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29p_rrnweg

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 5:47 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It's not slated to be completed until the 2021 season. Lagoon is calling it a game changer. The video preview looks very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29p_rrnweg
If it's anything close to that, it's going to be awesome. My worry is that the line will be UNBELIEVABLY slow. If it only fits 4 people per car, and each car has to go through each of those scenes....yikes. I mean, I get that several cars can be on the track at once, but still. It'll be a slow line.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 3:34 AM

It seems to me that I-15 reconstruction between Layton and Ogden has stalled. Progress has seemed really slow, particularly recently. And today I did see anybody working at all. I don’t know if 11:00 am is lunch time and that explains why no one was working but I hope they wrap this up before winter. Anyone have info on this?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
It seems to me that I-15 reconstruction between Layton and Ogden has stalled. Progress has seemed really slow, particularly recently. And today I did see anybody working at all. I don’t know if 11:00 am is lunch time and that explains why no one was working but I hope they wrap this up before winter. Anyone have info on this?
The work appears to have slowed because it is primarily bridge work and that work primarily happens overnight. Its just safer for the workers with less traffic.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:26 PM

Thanks for the info. It looks like they scheduled reconstruction through 2021 also

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:30 PM

Also on a side note. Areas of Ogden, not necessarily downtown Ogden, are getting some 3-4 story Apartments off 12th street and I think I saw one around 7th and Washington also. There are a lot of dense residential projects going up all over Ogden at the moment. Does anyone keep tabs on these? Nothing very special but a lot of movement happening here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:44 PM
Space Magi

Weber State added a mechanical engineering major fairly recently and now a new engineering building is under construction.
https://www.weber.edu/east/noorda.html

This is in addition to their beautiful (fairly) new science building, football complex, outdoor equipment building, and public safety building. WSU seems to be really growing and improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Also on a side note. Areas of Ogden, not necessarily downtown Ogden, are getting some 3-4 story Apartments off 12th street and I think I saw one around 7th and Washington also. There are a lot of dense residential projects going up all over Ogden at the moment. Does anyone keep tabs on these? Nothing very special but a lot of movement happening here
Yeah, I've noticed some new developments as well. Lotus has been doing some good things with old buildings downtown and I think there's a large new apartment building near the 24th Street viaduct. I can't find much information online though outside of some major NIMBY activity in North Ogden.

There's a also new brewery in Ogden going up near Slackwater called Ogden River Brewing. Rooster's recently opened a new brewpub called B Street on the other side of the freeway/river/railyard from downtown, and I hear that Ogden's Own Distillery ("Five Wives" etc.) is opening a new, much larger operation there too. With these plus Talisman and UTOG in mind, I think Ogden has the best social drinking culture outside of SLC/SSL in the state.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 8:57 PM
Space Magi

Sorry for the double post, but I did some digging and found something big that we seemed to have missed. Ogden is in the midst of creating/adopting a new master plan called "MAKE Ogden," developed by Design Workshop Inc. of Denver. Here's a link to the website.

There's a lot of detail for the longterm vision in the draft plan, including analysis on land uses, public perception, new zoning and design standards, and the like. Here is a map and some renderings from the main document. Interestingly, one of the documents makes mention of Denver's Union Station and bringing some of the ideas and lessons from that to Ogden's Union Station (paging Hatman!).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Yeah, I've noticed some new developments as well. Lotus has been doing some good things with old buildings downtown and I think there's a large new apartment building near the 24th Street viaduct. I can't find much information online though outside of some major NIMBY activity in North Ogden.

There's a also new brewery in Ogden going up near Slackwater called Ogden River Brewing. Rooster's recently opened a new brewpub called B Street on the other side of the freeway/river/railyard from downtown, and I hear that Ogden's Own Distillery ("Five Wives" etc.) is opening a new, much larger operation there too. With these plus Talisman and UTOG in mind, I think Ogden has the best social drinking culture outside of SLC/SSL in the state.
The Ogden Standard Examiner is pretty good about reporting developments in the area. Of course one of us would have to pay to subscribe to the online edition.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:49 PM

Thanks for posting that info Atlas. Sometimes we forget about Ogden, but there's a lot of character and potential in it. Glad to see that they have a strong vision tying into those assets.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 11:45 PM
Space Magi

Logan announces reduced downtown revival plan
https://cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar...#comment-43354

So after a NIMBY coalition seemingly defeated the previous plan for the Emporium in Logan, they are scaling the project back and axing the housing and parking garage components. Complaints were (of course) centered around parking and the "historic" nature of the Emporium:

The Plaza 45 building looks nice and historic to me, but the Emporium? Really? Maybe I'll tune into the meeting on Sept. 8th so there's at least some YIMBY presence. Here's one of the images I could find of the previous development proposal:

Presumably, the building on the right side is no longer part of the plan. Unfortunate, if you ask me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West