HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I know someone who lives in the building next door on LSD and I'll have to ask about the situation. Yes, that building has long been known as a hot bed of unhappiness, and I remember having to hear about the lobby wars a few years ago. They complain about everything. On the other hand, those units on the north wall are clear through from East to West, so they have both lake and city views. It looks like the window on the North/East corner isn't blocked, and the other one on the North/West is insignificant in the greater scheme of things. IIRC, that's a bedroom that also has West facing windows. So, the views aren't really impeded. Don't know about the building behind, I've never really thought about it.
That was RPD 196 and it is the reason we have a hard expiration date an all PDs.

It was approved for a high rise in 1978, but the applicants did nothing with it for 18 years. When they approached Ald Bernardini in 1996, asking about it, he said it wouldn't fly and needed to be renegotiated.

Back then there was no hard and fast date for expiration. The ordinance said;

"...developed as a unit, whether contemporaneously or within a proposed extended period of time commensurate with the character of the proposal but in no event to exceed 20 years"

The applicant took that to mean they had 20 years to do something.

The city's position was that the rights were lost if they did not start right away or negotiate a delay.

They did not start drawing up plans until the alderman informed them of his intention to strip the PD designation and they did not submit those plans for Part II until the day after the downzoning ordinance was introduced.

It culminated in several years of court battles and in the end the applicant lost

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Decided to walk from Logan Square to Grand Avenue.

I figured it would be easier to go to the pictures than having them here.

Nice to see the foundation work going on at Tandem Apartments across from Spoke Apartments

https://imgur.com/a/KQP89PR
Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
There has got to be a better solution to addressing plenum space than covering it over in those cheap composite panels. There are two other developments exactly like this within blocks (that True Food kitchen or whatever it is looks particularly bad--it feels like there is more opaque material than glass).

Totally agree

Also, A similar type of development nearby still has vacant storefronts. They must be confident or have tenants lined up to lease already?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
admittedly i'm now old and out of touch, but i'm confused by the "Antietam" branding signage in that rendering.

what business enterprise would possibly want to associate its brand name with the bloodiest day in US history?
Don't worry. In the event it actually has that signage the professional protestors will scale the building to rip it down while on their way to the other protest. Might have to wait for them to Google it first though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
admittedly i'm now old and out of touch, but i'm confused by the "Antietam" branding signage in that rendering.

what business enterprise would possibly want to associate its brand name with the bloodiest day in US history?
Perhaps the developers visited a certain trendy establishment in Detroit?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:

Nice to see the foundation work going on at Tandem Apartments across from Spoke Apartments

That was a badass tour, thanks. Big news on that Tandem project. I'm shittin a brick right now

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:55 PM

Anyone have a map of TOD developments in Chicago? Not of where it’s allowed but where buildings actually get built?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:08 PM

That Tandem project is going to have a nice impact on the area.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:32 AM
Chicago

200 W Randolph

July 9, 2018

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I was in Wicker Park on Saturday. Did some walking on Milwaukee myself. I was impressed over the number of small infill projects. The kind that don’t get much notice but will keep the fine grain going.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Thanks. I was in Wicker Park on Saturday. Did some walking on Milwaukee myself. I was impressed over the number of small infill projects. The kind that don’t get much notice but will keep the fine grain going.
Lots of this type of development happening on Fullerton in Logan Square (Damen to California) as well. The city is really booming right now. Very interested to see the 2020 Census numbers as crime keeps trending down and relocations keep being announced.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Lots of this type of development happening on Fullerton in Logan Square (Damen to California) as well. The city is really booming right now. Very interested to see the 2020 Census numbers as crime keeps trending down and relocations keep being announced.
It'll be more interesting at the community area level than city level IMO at this rate. Of course, it's hard to tell, but I think you won't see much overall growth, but if you hone in on places like Near North Side, West Town, Lakeview, etc then you will see some decently solid growth. We've already seen it from the 2016 ACS. Unfortunately the 2017 ACS that allows us to calculate these things isn't released until December - but I guess at the city level the 2017 ACS is released in just over 2 months.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:40 AM

It's not much, but an image in the Crain's article about the new Damen station shows the United Center parking lots as future mixed-use developments. If plans are currently in the works, then this would be major boom for the Near West Side. I would imagine an immediate land rush of anything west of Damen

Source: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...n-line-station

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:08 AM
TL;DR

^ That area's already been filling in. Interesting, unplanned mix of of market-rate and non-market housing developments. Still plenty of vacant sites to build on, but it definitely feels much more cohesive and despite the vacant lots, it's pretty much lost the bombed-out feel it had 20 years ago.

Heck, Madison was notoriously obliterated by the King riots, but between Hoyne and Western there's only like 4 or 5 lots that have yet to be developed and North Clybourn Group just keeps slapping up buildings.

And yet, you can still buy a semi-decent rowhouse there for $250K

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 9, 2018

https://chicago.curbed.com/2013/4/1/...200-w-randolph

?????

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:23 PM

that article is from 2013...safe to say its dead i think

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ That area's already been filling in. Interesting, unplanned mix of of market-rate and non-market housing developments. Still plenty of vacant sites to build on, but it definitely feels much more cohesive and despite the vacant lots, it's pretty much lost the bombed-out feel it had 20 years ago.

Heck, Madison was notoriously obliterated by the King riots, but between Hoyne and Western there's only like 4 or 5 lots that have yet to be developed and North Clybourn Group just keeps slapping up buildings.

And yet, you can still buy a semi-decent rowhouse there for $250K
Yes, yet the biggest holdouts are going to be the owners of those large parking lots next to UC. The only solution is to go vertical with multilevel garages

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:01 PM

Nm

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
that article is from 2013...safe to say its dead i think
Yes, it was killed way back then when the new CNA building was announced. They decided to keep and refurbish the garage for now. That's just fine with me as it's a pretty big structure and will make an excellent spot for a supertall or something in 15-20 years once all the excess land in the area has been mopped up.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:28 PM

when Damen opens I am hopeful the money will grow too large for the lot owners to ignore

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development