HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:56 PM

I don't even need a specific brand! Just a car wash that can wash my cars without using abrasive techniques. I used Jackson's once at Tatum and Cactus and was pretty unhappy with the pricing. It cost me about $35. Pit stop comes to my house for $40.

There used to be a Danny's Family at 43rd and Glendale that I really liked, bonus that it was in a Will Bruder building, but that one is now an automated wash.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:44 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Surprised there's not a Danny's Family in Central Phoenix somewhere. All the other chains can go to hell for all I care.
There used to be a Danny's at 20th Street & Highland. Then, the whole chain imploded when the owner was convicted of knowingly hiring undocumented employees. Most Danny's locations became Jacksons car wash locations. With the new ownership and name, I found the upselling became more intense and the service degraded.

Last edited by exit2lef; May 24, 2019 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:10 PM
Skyriser

Danny's had a decent upsell but nothing was ever unneeded. Going there for years kept our family's cars in great condition. I forgot they went out of business...didn't they have that weird deal from the La Paz County IDA?

I'm not really sure how you make that business work without hiring undocumented workers in retrospect. If immigration policies worked businesses like Danny's would exist and the middle class would have a maid, sort of like Dubai but without $10 lettuce and slave labor.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 9:08 PM

Big Solar farm being built in Coolidge.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...anned-100.html

Quote:
A Florida energy company paid close to $15 million for over 1,000 acres in Pinal County for a new solar power project.

The 100-megawatt project will be the largest solar farm in Pinal County and one of the largest in the state, said Coolidge City Manager Rick Miller.

“This is a desirable location for solar,” Miller said. “We are also working with two other companies looking to do large-scale solar projects in the area.”

Scottsdale-based Saint Holdings sold 1,027 acres to a company called Saint Solar, an entity controlled by Florida Power & Light Co., the principal subsidiary of NextEra Energy Inc., according to real estate database Vizzda. The land sold May 15 for $14.8 million, according to Vizzda.

Representatives from Florida Power & Light have not yet responded to questions seeking more information on the project.

The solar project is north of the planned $1 billion, 2,000-job manufacturing plant for Nikola Motor Co. and its hydrogen-electric trucks.

Saint Holdings LLC also sold the land to Nikola for its facility and to California-based Lucid Motors, which is planning a $700 million electric car plant in nearby Casa Grande.

The company still owns more than 10,000 acres in Pinal County, said Jackob Andersen, president and CEO of Saint Holdings.

“This is huge. This is a big deal,” Andersen said. “This is great for Arizona, the region and our green footprint.”

The land for the solar project is south of Highway 287 on Steele Road, east of Highway 87 and the Union Pacific railroad tracks. It’s right by irrigation canals, with two power lines that run across the property, Miller said. See a map of the property in the image below.

“The future North-South Freeway Corridor runs through a portion of the property,” he said. “It’s in a location that we don’t anticipate any development on in the near future.”

he land is also close to substations owned by Arizona Public Service, Salt River Project and Pinal Central, Andersen said.

“We’ve been hugely busy talking to various users” interested in the land, Andersen said. “Just the fact that Arizona and the governor have done such a great job getting shovel-ready sites in the area, other neighboring cities can’t compete with us. It’s a diamond in the rough.”

The next step in the process is a site plan review, which includes detailed construction drawings of what’s planned. Then permits have to be issued, which will take at least three to four months, Miller said.

“The city has always been supportive of renewable energy projects,” he said. “This will generate sales tax, but won’t be a big employer. This is probably a pretty good conversion of farm land that will be good for the region in power, and it will be a lot of construction jobs over a 6-9 month period.”

A recent report noted that the state's solar industry has contributed more than $9 billion to Arizona's economy.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 1:14 AM
self-important urbanista

Final (although technically still unofficial) results for Tuesday's city council election were just posted. Carlos Garcia's victory over Michael Johnson for the District 8 seat has been confirmed:

https://www.phoenix.gov/results

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:33 PM

Interesting article on the original Phoenix Bakery building being moved to the Phoenix Zoo:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...x-zoo-11303764

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:14 PM

Not much new here but this guy is really pushing his film studio.

I think this would be great hope it happens:

http://azbex.com/film-television-cam...sed-in-peoria/

Quote:
Paramount, Sony and NBCUniversal are just a few of the entertainment companies that could be coming to the West Valley, if all goes according to plan for a local group.

Ruben Arizpe, CEO and founder of East Scottsdale Consulting Inc. recently told Peoria Times he and his business partners are looking to develop a 130-acre film and TV studio campus called Diamond Sky Studio Complex at Loop 303 and Lone Mountain Road, near Peoria’s Vistancia community.

In addition to 24 stages, Arizpe said the plans incorporate a “city walk,” which would serve as a sort of entertainment and retail district comparable to Universal CityWalk.

While there’s much to be anticipated, there’s a catch: the project is not yet set in stone with the city or state, and further negotiations are needed.

Bringing Hollywood to the Desert

According to East Scottsdale Consulting Inc.’s website, it is “laying the groundwork to bring Hollywood to the desert.”

Initial plans called for 16 stages, but Arizpe felt it had to be upped to 24. And Sony Pictures would be involved in the design of the studios, he added.

Diamond Sky Studio Complex’s companion “city walk” area, as described by Arizpe, would have shops, bars, restaurants and theaters.

Additionally, to accommodate children, plans call for an area he called “Gamer’s Row.” It would feature a virtual reality/arcade area on the first level, as well as space for fast-food eateries on the second level.

Other features of the “city walk,” Arizpe said, would be a small water park, a Ferris wheel and a hotel/office building. Arizpe said plans also call for a Bourbon Street-like area with restaurants and bars.

Where the entertainment and shopping district meets the production campus, he said, would be four stages to host game and talk shows.

Moving Forward

Before the proposed campus can move forward, Arizpe and his partners are looking to get the city of Peoria and Gov. Doug Ducey officially on board.

He said talks with Peoria officials have been ongoing for about a year and a half, but nothing formal has been agreed upon.

When contacted by Peoria Times, city officials provided the following statement:

“Mr. Arizpe has shared his plans with the city and it is our understanding that he is trying to pull together his project team and secure financing. While the city is always interested in projects that create high-quality jobs or bring in new industry, this project is in the very early stages and the city has not entered into any formal agreements.”

Arizpe, however, said partners in the realms of funding, construction and development are already secure, though investors are still being sought. But he admitted proof that the project is legitimate and feasible is something Peoria officials have yet to see.

As of print, Arizpe said he and his partners are on the brink of reconnecting with Peoria officials to get plans moving forward. That includes the acquisition of land for the development.

If all goes according to plan, construction on the campus, Arizpe explained, would be divided into three phases, starting with six stages that could be filled as they’re built. Modeled after Universal Picture’s designs, he explained, the stages would have offices.

In full, however, the 24-stage-plus- “city walk” campus would take 18 months to construct. As soon as all involved parties come to an agreement, Arizpe said, he and his partners would be ready to commence construction in as little as a month.

Arizpe estimated the project’s cost is $200M. The first two phases would cost $50M each, while the final phase would cost $100M.

And while Arizpe is hoping everything works accordingly with Peoria, should discussions falter he is considering other areas in Goodyear, Phoenix or Glendale, across from State Farm Stadium.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:22 PM
MAPAZ

Phoenix Union Station for sale.

(Changes coming to ownership, development, and potential preservation for the venerable 1923 depot)

Big preservation alert
By the ROGUE COLUMNIST
JUNE 11, 2019
https://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue...vT-oN3VfZ-_SIs

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPAZ View Post
(Changes coming to ownership, development, and potential preservation for the venerable 1923 depot)

Big preservation alert
By the ROGUE COLUMNIST
JUNE 11, 2019
https://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue...vT-oN3VfZ-_SIs
I dont have much faith but with the Airport burying the Rail lines to the east, the plan for Commuter on the books and the Growth Downtown I really hope we can bring this station back to life.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont have much faith but with the Airport burying the Rail lines to the east, the plan for Commuter on the books and the Growth Downtown I really hope we can bring this station back to life.
Hope so too. Would love for the City to buy it and put some money into it if they could do it right, but not sure they can, especially with the uncertain makeup of the City council.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 1:07 AM

The Tucson train station has become a restaurant and market.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The Tucson train station has become a restaurant and market.
Looks like they spent ~$2m to buy the station, and ~$3m to rennovate it in 1998? If Phoenix could spend those amounts (adjusted for inflation) seems like a no-brainer.

https://www.greatamericanstations.co...tucson-az-tus/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:50 AM
self-important urbanista

I still don’t see the beauty in Union Station the way Talton does. To me, the stucco walls and tile roof resemble a thousand suburban subdivisions. Nevertheless, if the city can do anything with this building that might help bring Amtrak service back to Phoenix and set the stage for commuter rail, then the investment would be worthwhile. The odds are the tough though. Waring and DiCiccio will oppose this from the right, and I wouldn’t be surprised if newcomers Garcia and Guardado oppose it from the left.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:11 AM
Modulator

Dumping the Bay Area for Phoenix?

Congrats Obadno for being first quote of the article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...re-you-go/amp/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Congrats Obadno for being first quote of the article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...re-you-go/amp/
getting paywalled

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

Again all the unnecessary hate for Gilbert, especially if you haven't managed to been out there lately with all the development that's been happening but whatever I'm unmoved

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:48 PM

Yay Obadno!!! Haha

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Again all the unnecessary hate for Gilbert, especially if you haven't managed to been out there lately with all the development that's been happening but whatever I'm unmoved
I dont think my comparison was off at all. People move out to suburban areas and act surprised when they are suburban areas. I dont hate Gilbert when I get married Im heading out there for my white picket fence house and suburban bliss, believe me.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:35 PM

Interesting article on the effect of the likes of Opendoor on real estate markets in Phoenix.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fut...57036?mod=e2tw

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:38 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest