HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:48 PM

^^Much simpler and much less expensive ($10million). I will look for renderings.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:22 PM

will be nice to walk under vista to get from lake shore east park to the riverwalk

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
will be nice to walk under vista to get from lake shore east park to the riverwalk
Not sure that will work - seems destined for auto only. Currently there is a big lockable fence separating the riverwalk and lower Wacker. Another around the parking lot under LSD.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Are there any renderings of the riverwalk? The ones to the west had fancy designs years in advance. Now I haven't seen anything for this section.
Here is the document put out by Fleet and Facilities Management of the east riverwalk improvements. If I get time later, I'll extract some of the renderings and post them here.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Are there any renderings of the riverwalk? The ones to the west had fancy designs years in advance. Now I haven't seen anything for this section.
Here are some renderings. It's possible they are outdated. I do worry about the amount of concrete. One thing that stretch east of Michigan used to have going for it was it felt more natural.

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...renderings.pdf

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 7:25 PM
The City

^ Those look nice.

I get the "natural" thing, but to be honest, the east side of the riverwalk looks a bit cheap and backwater to me....especially ever since they upgraded the portions from Michigan Ave on west.

It was due for an upgrade. It's unacceptable that the only restrooms on the eastern portion, for example, are nasty port-o-pottys without running water. Given the dramatic location (core of the city) we are due for some greatness here, and let the "natural scenery" thing be relegated to somewhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Not sure that will work - seems destined for auto only. Currently there is a big lockable fence separating the riverwalk and lower Wacker. Another around the parking lot under LSD.
I'm pretty sure that connection was part of the plan, no?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:50 PM

Forbes has an article on Cedar Street's conversion of the Synagogue on Kenmore in Uptown just off of Argyle into micro-apartments. I went there during Open House a handful of years ago and the main area was definitely in rough condition. Glad it's been renovated and done in accordance with Jewish law too even. They actually donated space for a new Chabad center in Uptown as a result next to the Lawrence red line stop.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/juliabr.../#66e938991950

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
April 24, 2019

Good lord that is hideous... I actually thought this one would turn out decently... I'm dumb

Just looked at the renderings and yeah, this is a freakin con-job. The renderings show MUCH larger windows and more of them

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 1:25 AM
Chicago

1040 W Fulton

April 24, 2019

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Good lord that is hideous... I actually thought this one would turn out decently... I'm dumb

Just looked at the renderings and yeah, this is a freakin con-job. The renderings show MUCH larger windows and more of them
Yea, what the heck? It looks like someone quickly showed the rendering to an amateur architect and then asked them to re-create it from memory...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:08 PM

and it's condos! imagine if you already put your money down based on the renderings, and THAT'S what you got...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
and it's condos! imagine if you already put your money down based on the renderings, and THAT'S what you got...
Good ol' Valerio Dewalt Train. Reminds me of the prison-like north and south elevations of the Godfrey.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post

I don't know if it's the cladding system or what, but a building in Elmhurst just pulled a bait and switch too. The finished product is much rougher, much less refined than the renderings.

Brick, even if boring, at least turns out as actual brick, with a natural asthetic variation. Some of these metal panels look like aluminum foil.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't know if it's the cladding system or what, but a building in Elmhurst just pulled a bait and switch too. The finished product is much rougher, much less refined than the renderings.

Brick, even if boring, at least turns out as actual brick, with a natural asthetic variation. Some of these metal panels look like aluminum foil.
Is it the one north of the Metra station? I was visiting in town last week and it looks like a giant East German housing project looming over the town center. Pathetic design, planning and execution all around on that one.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Brick, boring?! If so, i'll take brick over these tin foil buildings every time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 9:19 PM
Urbane observer

Every time I'm on the Belmont Red-Brown line platform, I marvel at what appears to be the poor workmanship on the metal cladding of the adjacent new building, still under construction.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 9:45 PM

Construction started on eveq condominums

CHICAGO, IL - The developers of Eveq, a boutique condominium community of 32 residences at 14. N. Bishop St. in Chicago’s West Loop, have started construction and released the first interior renderings of the five-story project, which is slated to deliver in third-quarter 2020.

https://www.multifamilybiz.com/Press...ndominiums_in_...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Every time I'm on the Belmont Red-Brown line platform, I marvel at what appears to be the poor workmanship on the metal cladding of the adjacent new building, still under construction.
yea every time i look at this thing it throws my mind for a loop

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Here's an interesting article about that eye-catching red brick building on IIT's campus, along the Dan Ryan. It's vacant, but will be preserved and converted into apartments.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/morning-s...yK_RGfembSMAdQ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development