HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 11:58 AM

How much would a modern 40 floor skyscraper cost?

So I was wondering how much would constructing a modern day 40 floor skyscraper with an average floor height of four meters for a total of 160 meter height?

If other dimensions are needed, assume a length and a width of about 40 meters for an area of 1600 square meters and facade looks similar to the masonry used in Woolworth Building.

Could this be done with a budget of 200 million?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:07 PM

Not quite "let me google that for you" territory, but almost.

1. Find recent skyscrapers around 160m tall(which webpage might be useful for that, hmm...)
2. Google the names you find
3. Get results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Fenchurch_Street

Same height, 200 million pounds. I'm sure you'll find American examples if you dig a bit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i think the biggest issue in cost would be were you plan to build it. certainly some places will allow you to throw up towers with few or no cares about safety, quality materials, living wages or workers rights. those kinds of things are going to cost ya.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:53 PM
Never Dell

Google will confuse you. Costs can be reported in many ways. Or they're purely marketing.

At four-meter floor-to-floor heights, you're talking offices, and very high ftf at that. With offices, there can easily be a range of multiples in cost depending on what you're referring to.
--Is land included?
--Is financing included? Often developers quote costs at time of payment, like calling your $500,000 mortgage $800,000...it's about image.
--Design costs?
--What about tenant improvements? Or is it just the core and shell building?
--Is the exterior terra cotta or some sort of cheaper prefab...realizing the Woolworth point.

After all that is figured out, I'd guess a 3:4 cost range that can accommodate a typical range of systems etc. Not including land which can vary much more.

(I'm not an expert in any of this...just a marketing guy for a contractor that builds towers of that height.)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i think the biggest issue in cost would be were you plan to build it. certainly some places will allow you to throw up towers with few or no cares about safety, quality materials, living wages or workers rights. those kinds of things are going to cost ya.
I thought for the location Helsinki and how it'd be nice to have at least one proper skyscraper in my country. And I chose Woolworth style architectural style because thay way it'd look similar in style to the other buildings of the city.

And it'd be a combination of lower several floors being a shopping centre and middle and high floors being a combo of residential and the top floor having a restaurant-cafeteria.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzuris View Post
So I was wondering how much would constructing a modern day 40 floor skyscraper with an average floor height of four meters for a total of 160 meter height?

If other dimensions are needed, assume a length and a width of about 40 meters for an area of 1600 square meters and facade looks similar to the masonry used in Woolworth Building.

Could this be done with a budget of 200 million?
I'm pretty sure labor cost is the biggest factor. The cost of labor varies greatly on location, e.g. Chicago would be all UNION, China not so much.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:47 PM

Labor is the biggest cost, so it's HIGHLY dependent on location. Land costs are also a big factor in certain locales.

In Midtown Manhattan, you aren't building a 40 floor office tower for anywhere close to $200 million. The land alone will cost far more than $200 million.

In Guatemala, sure, with money to spare.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:04 PM

Helsinki is a tough challenge... One - not economical to build something that tall in almost all the city area, except perhaps the very very center, which leads us to: Two - Almost impossible politically to build something that tall in the city center(too historical).

So you'd need to be willing to make a big loss on the building itself, and have enormous political capital to push it through protests, petitions, opposition parties and so on...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:13 AM
Casagranda

Building high-rise buildings is a lot of money. Only raw materials cost a lot of money, if equipped with modern furniture, the higher the cost.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggkruka View Post
Helsinki is a tough challenge... One - not economical to build something that tall in almost all the city area, except perhaps the very very center, which leads us to: Two - Almost impossible politically to build something that tall in the city center(too historical).

So you'd need to be willing to make a big loss on the building itself, and have enormous political capital to push it through protests, petitions, opposition parties and so on...
Well there is a 16 floor limit on the downtown area, but there are few areas where people have schemed to build 10 20-40 floor buildings, so in this area I guess one moor forty floorer wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:40 AM

Well I did investigation and the tallest you can build in any spot in Helsinki is 39 floors. So I guess that's the limit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:16 AM
Red October standing by

doesn't this really depend on the city and location? a 40 story tower would be cheaper in say, Nashville or Houston than New York. the cost of land plus costs and complexities of contstruction would vary.

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture