HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where is the humongous picture of HM The Queen?
It would have been right above where the photographer was standing (north end of the building).

They took it down before the Pan Am Games in 1999 (the arena ultimately closed down in 2004). It's still around town somewhere, I think someone hauled it out during the Jets 2018 playoff run.

I liked it, even though portraits like that were once a common fixture in Canadian rinks, Winnipeg's eventually became a fairly unique calling card in a world of mostly cookie cutter arenas.

Sidenote: when I was a kid, most of the Jets games I watched were from the 7-Eleven $7 nosebleeds way at the top of the picture by those orange lights. That long staircase down to the bottom was somewhat intimidating, you knew a stumble there wouldn't end well.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't get why it's so grainy... you would think the game was played over a hundred years ago and not 25 years back. But nonetheless....
Probably scanned at the time when scanning quality wasn't so great, and they lost the original picture.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Yup... something special about em that is kinda lost now.
They're close up and personal. They were much smaller upon original build and jammed in ~15,000 seats. The Winnipeg Arena had ~9,500 seats upon opening in the '50s.

So there's a much more intimate feeling. It wasn't luxury in terms of seating and concourses, but you were close to the action.

It's not a 20,000 seat arena downsized to 17,000 seats.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sidenote: when I was a kid, most of the Jets games I watched were from the 7-Eleven $7 nosebleeds way at the top of the picture by those orange lights. That long staircase down to the bottom was somewhat intimidating, you knew a stumble there wouldn't end well.
Me too (well late teens actually). The early morning line-ups at 7-11 for playoff tickets were epic!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:29 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...bers-1.6027650

Manitoba finance minister proposes new arrangement for capital funding of IG Field

The Manitoba government has proposed a new agreement to pay for capital projects and stadium operations at Investors Group Field that will supposedly be more "transparent and sustainable" for taxpayers and the Winnipeg Football Club, a news release says.

Finance Minister Scott Fielding believes the proposal will allow all parties to address the "substantial problems" of the original deal, while making sure IG Field remains a "viable and sustainable community asset" in the future, he said in the release.

In 2011, the former NDP government approved two loans to Triple B Stadium Inc., a consortium made up of the provincial government, City of Winnipeg, University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Football Club that owns IG Field. The loans, totalling $160 million, were for the stadium's construction on the U of M's Fort Garry campus, the release says.

The loans were supposed to be repaid in two ways at the same time. First, $75 million was repayable over 25 years based off of redevelopment from the former stadium site in Polo Park. Second, $85 million was to be repaid from 2014 to 2058 from revenue generated by the Winnipeg Football Club.

The stadium was not built as it should have been, however. A lawsuit filed against the contractors in 2015 alleges the stadium suffered from poor or no drainage in some parts, had little or no isolation in some areas and leaked.

The Manitoba government loaned Triple B another $35 million to cover the repairs and pay for the court case that is still ongoing.

Lawsuit alleges Winnipeg's IGF stadium leaky, mouldy
Investors Group Field to get $35M in repairs thanks to loan guarantee from province
Mounting stadium debt keeps pushing goalposts further away from taxpayers, Bombers
Under the original agreement with Triple B, a capital fund was supposed to be created for the stadium. It was to be funded with revenue from the Winnipeg Football Club.

But president and CEO Wade Miller told CBC News on Friday that the capital fund had a balance of zero dollars because the team was putting money aside to fix the stadium's blemishes.

A 2018 review was commissioned to identify and establish capital funding for annual capital costs.

The provincial comptroller, at that same time, reviewed financial data and concluded the loans were not on track to be repaid and that "substantial oversights" in the original deal did not account for annual ongoing capital maintenance costs of the stadium, the news release says.

The Winnipeg Football Club and Triple B complied with their obligations and have made their payments as required, but there remains no balance in the current capital fund, the news release says.

The proposal announced Friday would see the Manitoba government create a capital account of $10 million to fund repairs at IG Field — home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the University of Manitoba football team and Valour FC.

Bombers in good financial shape, says Miller, after province pays off another $82M of debt
New payment deal coming for Bombers stadium, province says
The Bombers would be responsible for managing the account and keeping the stadium in shape, the release says.

The City of Winnipeg would be asked to amend the "legal obligations" of Triple B to allow entertainment funding taxes and facility fees from ticket sales to be spent on things other than construction loan repayment, the release says.

The city would also be asked to let the football club retain money from those taxes and fees in order spend it on, among other things, the proposed capital fund and stadium operations, the release says.

The Manitoba government, meanwhile, would take over the ongoing court case related to "construction deficiencies" and would pocket any money gained from the litigation, the release says.

The proposal announced Friday has been in the works for a couple of years, as the Triple B stakeholders have tried to figure out a way to create a capital fund that will protect the community assets of the stadium, said Miller.

"This is now the mechanism to create that capital fund and get it started," he said.

"Now, we look forward to working with the city to amend the entertainment funding tax grant agreement and then get this across the goal."

The City of Winnipeg's public service will be preparing a report about the proposed modifications to the deal that will be presented to city council for consideration, a spokesperson said. (Jeff Stapleton/CBC)
Tthe CFL season was cancelled due to COVID-19 last year, and the 2021 season has been pushed back until August for now. But Miller says the pandemic did not play a part in the proposal announced Friday.

The capital fund was required before the pandemic started, so COVID-19 slowed down the process of making it a reality, he said.

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman is pleased to see minister Fielding change his position on the deal from when he voted in favour of it in 2010 as the city's finance chair, he said in a statement sent to CBC News through a spokesperson.

Bowman has advocated for changes to the deal in the past, so he sees this a step forward for taxpayers and the Bombers, he said.

The city public service will be preparing a report about the proposed modifications and will present to city council, a city spokesperson said.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:06 PM

^ The province tried to take out the garbage on a Friday afternoon. I'm surprised they didn't wait until the Friday before the long weekend when there would be even fewer people paying attention.

But anyway...this would solve the issue of stadium maintenance and upgrades. But who pays the outstanding loans on the joint? I'm assuming it's the province because... well... who else?

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 8:39 PM

I'm not from Winnipeg, so I'm curious about the old stadium site. The article mentions $75 million of that cost coming from the redevelopment of the old site. Has anything happened there yet that has made any of that money back?

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'm not from Winnipeg, so I'm curious about the old stadium site. The article mentions $75 million of that cost coming from the redevelopment of the old site. Has anything happened there yet that has made any of that money back?
it was made into a large target store but that went belly up with the whole target in canada venture that only lasted a year and a half. it took a long time to redevelop it is now mixed use of 24-7 in touch call centre a mashalls and some other office space and restaurants but the whole area around the old stadium and arena is in a development battle with the city and airport authority over weather it can be developed into highrise residential with retail in the city pretty much maxed out and the area being so close to the airport it could cause issues with noise complaints and letting the airport run 24-7 which is the crux of the dispute.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:20 PM

The redevelopment of the old stadium site was seen as a bit of a sure thing given that it's in the middle of the city's biggest retail district, but a combination of factors really derailed that... retail expansion in that area plateaued somewhat, Target failed, and like thurmas pointed out, proximity to the airport really limited the ability of the developers to do anything with that land in terms of building anything taller and more substantial. It will certainly be redeveloped, but obviously the lengthy delays are really messing with the financing model for the new stadium.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:35 PM

Best stadiums for me are Olympic Stadium in Montreal, BC Place in Vancouver and BMO Field in Toronto I don't care what none of y'all say

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

Best arena to be at though in Canada other than Scotiabank Arena is Bell Arena in Montreal

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Best stadiums for me are Olympic Stadium in Montreal, BC Place in Vancouver and BMO Field in Toronto I don't care what none of y'all say
New Mosiac at Taylor Field in Regina > all of those. I still hate the riders though.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
New Mosiac at Taylor Field in Regina > all of those. I still hate the riders though.

New Mosaic ain't that bad but I rate Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton more than I do New Mosaic

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
New Mosaic ain't that bad but I rate Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton more than I do New Mosaic
Having been to both its not even close, Commonwealth may look larger but the experience is not the same. Mosaic is beautiful, and the atmosphere there is amazing, its designed to be loud. It feels way closer to an NFL stadium IMO.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Having been to both its not even close, Commonwealth may look larger but the experience is not the same. Mosaic is beautiful, and the atmosphere there is amazing, its designed to be loud. It feels way closer to an NFL stadium IMO.
Or you can even say the Stadium in Ottawa is also as close to an NFL Stadium as Mosaic is

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Or you can even say the Stadium in Ottawa is also as close to an NFL Stadium as Mosaic is
Hmm cant agree, it has wide open end zones, its not full seating around the field like Mosiac.

https://www.riderville.com/

Compared to this

https://fieldturf.com/en/

Still better than the crap hole we have in Calgary though..

Last edited by ZeDgE; May 18, 2021 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? In my opinion they're clearly on different tiers from each other, but I'd like to hear your well though-out examination of the two.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is absolutely nothing NFL-ish about Lansdowne in Ottawa. Whatsoever.

This is also true of McMahon, Tim Hortons, Molson and BMO.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:24 PM

IMO Mosaic is the best looking stadium in the country, followed by IGF in Winnipeg, which reminds me of a smaller Century link, and also more like an NFL stadium.

Beautiful!

https://www.bluebombers.com/stadium-history/

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Commonwealth has a certain grandeur coming from its sheer size that only Canada's domed stadiums can match. When it's full (or close to it), it's pretty damn impressive.

My university years in Edmonton coincided with a a run of good attendance for the Eskimos when they had a few sellouts and near sellouts, so I got to experience that a few times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada