HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 2:13 PM

All 21 girders along the 174 flyover have all been installed over 4 nights. The flyover will bring trains from the north side of the 174 to the south side before proceeding towards Orleans in the east end.

https://twitter.com/AllanHubley_23/s...08492196696066

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 7:23 PM
A Better Place

The Strathearn stop of Edmonton's Valley Line SE LRT. The planned operational date is 'end of the year'.

My own image

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:54 PM

New Trillium rolling stock. Stadler Flirts from Switzerland.

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...15732106641408

Final look with dcals:

For more info: https://otrain.railfans.ca/trains/stadler-flirt

The Trillium Line will also run coupled Alstom LINTs from the current fleet.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:40 PM

The brand new Greater Québec City's transit system that will be unveiled by the government of Québec next monday : The ''REC'' - Le Réseau Express de la Capitale

Source : https://www.fm93.com/nouvelles/polit...de-la-capitale

Yellow = Reserved bus lanes on the south shore
Blue = Reserved bus lanes on the north shore (±100km)
Orange = Tramway
Green = the 3rd link tunnel project = cars + transit system (to be determined yet)

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:58 PM

Not a fan of Le REC. Sounds like Le Wreck.

Seems similar to the Reseau Structurant previously proposed, at least route wise.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not a fan of Le REC. Sounds like Le Wreck.

Seems similar to the Reseau Structurant previously proposed, at least route wise.
I still don't know what to think about this proposal yet. I'll wait and see all details...
Not a fan of ''REC'' aswell. Even in French it sounds weird for some reasons.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
I still don't know what to think about this proposal yet. I'll wait and see all details...
Not a fan of ''REC'' aswell. Even in French it sounds weird for some reasons.
I agree. I think Réseau Express La Vielle Capitale (REV) would have sounded alot better. REV sounds like a fast engine accelerating, not like something breaking.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:59 PM

I like how the REC map is meant to evoke the Montreal Metro map!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I like how the REC map is meant to evoke the Montreal Metro map!
Same colours too, with Orange being the backbone and Yellow (as one of the ones) crossing the River.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 5:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I have to admit to being curious how Quebec City’s longer LRT line, with underground stations, is apparently cheaper than Hamilton’s all above ground LRT plan. $3.3 billion vs $3.4 billion.

(Has this been discussed before and I just missed it?)

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:14 PM
Community Guy

A few Valley Line SE by Kaizen on SRC

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...4#post-1691467

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:28 PM

Next time I'm in Edmonton I might take that route just for the views!

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:48 PM
Community Guy

Indeed. Coming down the hill towards Downtown is one of the best views of they city/valley out there.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:09 PM

Stage 2 fly-over update video from the City of Ottawa posted today.

Video Link

Presentation deck from today's presentation and audio available on O-Train Fans.

https://www.railfans.ca/news/o-train...co-may-18-2021

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:22 PM

It will be interesting to see the time-lapse of the bridge construction for the YEG LRT.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 9:28 PM
Community Guy

The new LRT bridge in the bottom left which has a tunnel feeding it from Downtown and then up Connors hill (top left) and heading SE.

https://twitter.com/ExploreEdmonton/...11751064231936

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:38 PM

New renderings of Ottawa Stage 2 stations were recently released. For the most part, they maintain the general look and feel of Stage 1. The slopped/angled roofs have been dialed down, but are still present. Clean and modern. The stations still have the metro vibe as opposed to traditional light-rail for the most part. Here are a few highlights.

Stage 2 East.

Trim, the eastern terminus, currently an existing park-and-ride. The station will feature washrooms and retail.

Jeanne d'Arc, a local station in the median of the 174, with entrances on both sides of the overpass. Convent Glen one stop east will be quite similar. Jeanne d'Arc is an existing bus "station" (stops on the on/off ramps) and Convent Glen will be new.

Montreal, in the 174 highway median with entrances on both sides of the underpass. This should become a secondary transfer station for urban east-end bus routes. The stop currently exists in some form, but will become far more prominent and important post-Stage 2.

Stage 2 West.

Westboro, a current Transitway station to be converted. Serving one of the most urban and complete neighborhoods in Ottawa, numerous new towers are proposed and u/c in the immediate area.

Kichi Sibi, the next station west. Today the glorified Dominion "station", it also serves the Westboro area and Westboro Beach. The new station will have far more presence, which should help elevate its ridership potential.

New Orchard. Along with the very similar Sherbourne one stop east, these will close a long standing rapid transit service gap between Dominion (Kitchi Sibi) and Lincoln Fields. Built as open air trenched stations within the Byron Linear Park cut-and-cover tunnel, the stations will serve a mix of low, medium and high density along a former streetcar route.

Lincoln Fields, a major west end transfer between buses and rail, along with cross platform transfers between out-bound Lines 1 and 3. Washrooms and retail will be included.

Stage 2 West Line 3.

Pinecrest, currently a "bus stop" type station along the Transitway, it will serve as a local station with bus transfers.

Bayshore, today a major bus hub at the Bayshore Shopping Centre (top 3 Ottawa malls), it services a high density area. More towers are proposed with direct link to the station. Much of the existing station will be re-purposed for the rail infrastructure, similar to Blair.

Moodie, the western terminus serving as a major west suburban bus transfer, but no park and ride. The station is also near Abbott Pharmaceuticals (200 meters) and the new National Defence HQ (former Nortel HQ, roughly 1 kilometer). Bus shuttle services are expected between the station and DND, along with MUPs in order to deal with the "last mile". A light maintenance and storage yard will be built a few hundered meters west towards Kanata.

Stage 2 West Line 1.

Algonquin, the south-west terminus. One of the original Transitway stations, a roughed-in tunnel was built a little over a decade ago to accommodate the future O-Train expansion. It serves Algonquin College, Ottawa's largest applied arts and technology public college, along with City offices, a library, theatre space and other smaller office buildings.

Stage 2 South.

Bayview, the transfer station between Lines 1 (3) and 2. Significant expansion is underway that includes a second platform (to be used for redundancy), a new entrance to access the expanded main platform and a pedestrian bridge to the future Trinity Centre complex, which will feature Ottawa's tallest towers by far (65, 56 and 23 floors) and a large retail concourse.

Corso Italia, an infill station south of Bayview. Thousands of new mixed-income residential units are planned in the immediate area, along with a new school and expanded community centre.

Dow's Lake, currently know as Carling. Significant TOD has gone up over last last decade+ and far more coming. The station will also serve the new Ottawa Civic Hospital, replacing the (by then) over 100 year old facility a few blocks west. The station will only undergo minor upgrades, such as new dual elevators (replacing the singal elevator from 2001) and platform expansion to accommodate the longer trains. Fingers crossed for a major expansion as part of the Civic Hospital build.

Carleton University, the busiest station on the line today (when it was open) and likely into the future until the norther three stations start competing. The access tunnel will be widened, a new tunnel for future use (link to the campus's tunnel system) is being added and the platform is set to be expanded.

Greenboro, the south terminus since 2001 and only fare paid transfer between Line 2 and the South-East Transitway. The only upgrade will be the expanded and enhanced platform.

South Keys, an existing Transitway station and new Line 2 station. It will be the transfer point between the Airport Link and main Trillium Line. Transfers to the Transitway are also possible, but not within the fare paid zone.

Boewsville, the station in a field surrounded by a park and ride and bus loop.

Limebank, the southern terminus with washrooms (and retail?) It will be at the heart of a new TOD community. No park and ride.

These were only a handful of the new Stage 2 stations. For nearly all available renderings from ever station, I recommend visiting https://otrain.railfans.ca/the-stations, which provides a much better layout and description compared to the City's website.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:48 PM

Just based on my glances at the renderings, I'm pretty impressed. They look like they are being designed and built with a reasonable budget in mind and there aren't many obvious attempts at penny pinching. The major stations/terminus stations in particular look good.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

What an awesome post! Bravo!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just based on my glances at the renderings, I'm pretty impressed. They look like they are being designed and built with a reasonable budget in mind and there aren't many obvious attempts at penny pinching. The major stations/terminus stations in particular look good.
I'm happy that Ottawa has for the most part taken the Vancouver approach of building a cost-efficient, but functional system. Full grade separation using what's available, elevated, trenched and surface where possible and tunneling where necessary.

REM and the Ontario Line seem to be taking this approach as well. Too often we see over-built or under-built lines in Canada (massive low-ridership suburban underground stations in Toronto and Montreal for example) or a weird mix of both (Eglinton Crosstown).

Our system is certainly not perfect, high platform's along the Confederation Line would have been best, for example. For the most part though, I'm quite satisfied.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada