HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Glad you liked it. Yeah it's great and hopefully bodes well for future food/beverage offerings of similar quality.
I live in Mesa (and have a rental property near downtown Mesa) and am really interested in the developments in the area. I walked around downtown for a while and was really impressed. In addition to 12 West I also went to Chupacabra Brewery. It was my first time going there also. They have a really impressive beer list also and were pretty busy. I wanted to walk by The Grid lot but ran out of time.

While I like what's going on in downtown Gilbert, Mesa feels more authentic with its mixture of stores, coffee shops, offices, government buildings, and bars/restaurants as opposed to only having bars.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I live in Mesa (and have a rental property near downtown Mesa) and am really interested in the developments in the area. I walked around downtown for a while and was really impressed. In addition to 12 West I also went to Chupacabra Brewery. It was my first time going there also. They have a really impressive beer list also and were pretty busy. I wanted to walk by The Grid lot but ran out of time.

While I like what's going on in downtown Gilbert, Mesa feels more authentic with its mixture of stores, coffee shops, offices, government buildings, and bars/restaurants as opposed to only having bars.
Gilbert has become an east valley entertainment district like Mill or Old town but Mesa is more of a genuine suburban "downtown"

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Gilbert has become an east valley entertainment district like Mill or Old town but Mesa is more of a genuine suburban "downtown"
Speaking of Gilbert, the Town released a RFP for the NW corner of Elliot and Gilbert Rd. It was home to a church later converted to a boys and girls club before they moved a block over. I am happy to see this empty lot go. The Town's redevelopment plan for the area called for a office mid-rise over parking and a grocery store...but we'll see what the developers respond with. Proposals are due in March.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah, Chupacabra is great too, and seems to pack a crowd in the small ~900 sf space.

Completely agree with both of your comments about Downtown Mesa. I love that it still has the Milano's music store and the Linton-Milano piano store, the Nile, banks, law offices, comic book store, tattoo shop, book store, the Mezona boutique, hell even a shoe repair store and a typewriter store. Like you say, at least the vestiges of a real downtown. Hopefully if/when it beefs up its nightlife options it can maintain or even strengthen the non-food-and-beverage retail. They really need to start packing the empty lots and parking lots between University/Broadway/Country Club/Mesa Dr. with apartments.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:11 PM

Construction begins on $75M Mesa 'opportunity zone' development

Quote:
Construction began Monday on the Grid, a $75 million mixed-use development in downtown Mesa, which will include three types of housing, Class A office space and a restaurant.

The building is being developed by Palladium Enterprises, whose principals are Karrin Taylor Robson and Tony Wall. It will be built on and around an existing city of Mesa-owned parking garage as a public-private partnership with the city.

The building will sit on 3.3 acres near Main Street and Mesa Drive.

The project is in a designated “opportunity zone” and will be developed using money from a qualified opportunity fund, Wall told the Business Journal earlier this month when discussing plans for the project.

The Grid's first phase is expected to open in late 2020.

“We will bring morning, noon and evening dining. It will be a great place for meeting and socializing and will mesh beautifully with the existing businesses and restaurants currently operating on Main Street,” Wall said in a statement.

In total, the development will have 14,000 square feet of office space, 75 micro-units, 15 three-story rowhomes and 196 luxury apartments.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

Grid's website: https://thegridinmesa.com/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:14 PM

Giant master-plan development approved at virtual Mesa hearing

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...t-virtual.html
Quote:
During a virtual hearing Monday night, Mesa City Council approved the 1,200-acre Hawes Crossing development.

With 102 speakers in support during the virtual hearing, Council voted 6-1 on what is the largest master-planned community to be approved in the Valley during the past 11 years, said Jordan Rose, founder of Rose Law Group, who represented a group of dairy farmers during the past four years in their efforts to sell the land to a developer.

It also is one of the most complicated deals, with the final development agreement involving 52 signatures, 17 farmer families and the Arizona State Land Department.

"With 52 different entities plus the State Land Department involved with this innovative master plan, it was definitely complicated," Rose said. "It was also incredibly rewarding as these 17 farming families have designed something that will leave a powerful legacy."

She said it was an honor to represent these farming families. Her father was the farmers' lawyer when she was growing up in Ohio.

"The city of Mesa now controls 900-plus acres of land that you could see was unfortunately transitioning to slum," Rose said.

The dairy farmers will enter into discussions with developers, she said.

"They intend to move their cows off the land shortly, and absent the virus delays we should see development in the near term future," she said.

The development, with a little more than half the acreage dedicated to commercial development, is expected to create 55,000 jobs in Mesa.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:21 PM

Mesa will annex dairy farms and county land for Hawes Crossing development

Better info on the AZ Central article

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...nt/4835516002/
Quote:
Mesa will annex dairy farms and county land to make way for a planned mixed-use project called Hawes Crossing in the southeast corner of the city.

After four years, numerous studies and dozens of plan iterations, the City Council voted Monday to approve Hawes Crossing — but not without significant debate.

Council members faced the option to annex the land and rezone more than 1,200 acres for redevelopment or stick with the status quo, in which case the dairies would likely try to expand to stay financially viable.

The council voted 6-1 to approve the Hawes Crossing annexation, rezoning and redevelopment plans. Kevin Thompson, whose district covers this area, cast the lone "no" vote.

Approval means Mesa will annex nearly 1,000 acres of what is currently Maricopa County land. The plan is for the dairy farm families and the state land department to then sell their properties to a developer to build the massive, master-planned Hawes Crossing.

Jim Boyle Jr., the lead dairy farmer, praised the plan. "We should all be proud of it as landowners and I think the city of Mesa should be proud to have worked with us to create something that I think is going to have a really long-lasting legacy," he said.

‘A very controversial vote’

Hawes Crossing has stirred strong opinions since it was first presented in March 2016.

The dairy farmers want to sell their land to move to more rural areas or retire. After locating to Mesa in the 1970s, they say their equipment is aging and they need to invest in upgrades and more cows or rezone their land to sell and move.

Many homeowners who live near the dairies supported the change. They said, in emails and comments, that they're tired of the smells and flies and eager to have more employment and activity in the neighborhood.

But other neighbors worry about building more homes instead of just commercial, employment and entertainment options.

Mesa's Economic Development Advisory Board and the Mesa Chamber of Commerce opposed the project because of concerns about residential growth near Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport and in a corridor flagged for employment, industrial and commercial growth.

But airport officials have maintained the development does not contradict their plans.

“Barbecues and jet fields don’t mix,” Thompson previously told The Arizona Republic.

Thompson said housing encroachment ultimately will hurt the airport, one of Mesa’s biggest assets, as future residents will complain about flights over their homes. The project falls within the Elliot Road Technology Corridor, which the city has sought to develop as a tech-focused jobs hub.

“It’ll be a very controversial vote,” Councilman David Luna said beforehand. He said he weighed economic development, concerns about the employment corridor, access to power, airport encroachment and residents' feedback.

The city received more than 125 "blue cards" in advance of the council vote, where Mesa residents recorded their support or opposition to the development. Support far outweighed opposition with 102 residents submitting comments or registering their support of the project and 25 opposed.

The council vote initially was scheduled for late February but was postponed so that Jordan Rose, the attorney representing the dairy farms, had more time to get all 52 parties to sign off on the development agreement. She said she thinks the development involves the most parties of any in Arizona history, with collaboration from 17 family landowners, 52 individual stakeholders and the state land department.

‘The definition of opportunity’

Supporters view Hawes Crossing as a once-in-a-generation opportunity to do something great with the land, and a chance for the dairies to sell and move on.

Rose called the council vote "historic."

All of the county land, currently home to dairy farms and junk storage, will now be city land for economic development activity, she said. "This is the definition of opportunity for Mesa."

The plan went through 29 iterations to appease as many concerns as possible, Rose said, and the stakeholders remained committed and involved throughout.

"I doubt there have been any other development projects in state history where 52 property owners stayed together, listened to the community and changed land-use plans to allow for airport and community support," she said.

Three recent tweaks reflect feedback from the Planning and Zoning Board and Thompson. They include:
  • No houses will be allowed within 200 feet of Elliot Road (except for apartment buildings with living higher than the first floor) to provide only commercial frontage to the corridor.
  • An easement for utility and power.
  • More airport disclosures for future residents via street signs within the development and in homeowner documents and leasing offices.

'Merely paperbacks instead of really great novels'

Not all were satisfied. The main concern remained the airport just two miles away.

"I still have an ominous worry about the whole thing," said Tim Boyle, a Planning and Zoning Board member, explaining that adding more houses inevitably will impact the airport's growth. He worries Mesa isn't thinking big enough or far enough into the future.

"This could be the second Sky Harbor. Are we thinking of the city in those terms? Are we thinking of Mesa being similar in prestige to Phoenix in 50 years?" he questioned.

Rose said the plans provide for an "unprecedented amount of disclosure" to protect the airport.

Mayor John Giles said the airport is adequately protected and that it would not be good city planning to prohibit housing on a swath of more than 1,000 acres. Giles "enthusiastically supported" the case.

Thompson said one of his main responsibilities on the council is to protect the biggest asset in his district — and one of the city and region's biggest assets: Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.

"I see nothing but complaints being created," he said.

Thompson described parents grilling in the backyard with their children in the pool when suddenly a huge aircraft is 1,000 feet above their heads. As time goes on, they'll complain and the airport may have to limit its carriers, flight paths or flight times. He wished the area could be all jobs and no homes.

With an Apple facility at one end of the Elliot Road Technology Corridor and Google set to open down the road, Thompson said the entire corridor could have been fully tech-oriented and a "thriving employment corridor" with manufacturing, hotels, restaurants and entertainment. He envisioned a jobs hub with people commuting to Mesa to work there.

"Mayor, in your State of the City (address), you touted the fact that Elliot Road was now 'bookended' with Apple and Google. So why now would we want the books in between to be merely paperbacks instead of really great novels?" Thompson said during Monday's public hearing.

Project partners donated to council

The Republic's review of campaign finance reports shows that key players in the Hawes Crossing project contributed to several council members' reelection campaigns when the development was under consideration in 2018 and 2019.

Three dairy farmers contributed a total of $2,250 to Luna's 2018 campaign.

Rose gave council members Luna, Thompson, Jen Duff and Mark Freeman a combined $3,050 in 2018 and 2019, according to campaign finance reports.

Councilman Jeremy Whittaker, who has criticized developer campaign donations in the past, said this showed the project would easily pass. "They've paid off the whole council," he told The Republic before the vote.

Rose, in response to The Republic's query, said her donations were unrelated to the project. "You can look at any city in the state and you'll see I'm very supportive of council members throughout the state and have been for 20 years," she said.

Luna and Thompson told The Republic that campaign contributions do not sway their votes. Both said many see donating as a way to guarantee access to council members.

Luna said people for and against the project have donated to his campaign and it doesn't impact his vote. "I'm listening to them as well, I want to make sure I make the right decision," he said.

"I think it's bad all the way around if you allow campaign donations to start influencing your votes," Thompson said, adding that he hopes that's not the case in Mesa.

What will Hawes Crossing look like?

The development eventually will sit west of Ellsworth Road from the north side of Elliot Road to the south of Warner Road. Rose has said it'll be "Mesa's first true mixed-use master plan."

Plans for Hawes Crossing allow for the following land uses:
  • 493 acres for residential use.
  • 389 acres for employment use.
  • 204 acres for mixed-use.
  • 183 acres for commercial use.
  • 8 acres for offices.

The council-approved zoning changes allow for residential in an area that was zoned for light industrial, agriculture and mixed-use.

Early plans in 2016 called for 83% residential and 17% nonresidential. In response to concerns, it was eventually lowered to the current ratio of approximately 44% residential and 56% nonresidential or employment, Rose said.

City planners have said the project will provide more than 12,000 housing units and more than 55,000 jobs, a jobs to housing ratio supporters say will benefit the area.

The land falls within one of Mesa’s opportunity zones, meaning investors and builders could obtain significant tax breaks for investing in the project.

The next step is for the property owners to accept bids from developers, commercial, industrial and home builders interested in purchasing the land and building Hawes Crossing. The developers would have to comply with the approved zoning plan.

Sketches of the development show a theme of “milk and metal” to pay tribute to the land’s dairy history. The color scheme would be largely white with steel and aluminum features.

Plans depict templates for office buildings, stores, industrial buildings and mixed-use structures with shops on the bottom and apartments above. The development calls for open space, parks and trails.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:42 PM
self-important urbanista

A redevelopment of the Sycamore/Main park-and-ride site was announced several years ago, but nothing ever happened. It looks like the land has been sold to someone else who has their own plans for it. I believe this is the site just east of Safeway on the north side of Main. When light rail opened in 2008, a big park-and-ride and transit center was needed for what was then the eastern terminus of the line. Now that light rail extends to Gilbert Road, that land can be put to other uses: https://www.connect.media/california...f-development/

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A redevelopment of the Sycamore/Main park-and-ride site was announced several years ago, but nothing ever happened. It looks like the land has been sold to someone else who has their own plans for it. I believe this is the site just east of Safeway on the north side of Main. When light rail opened in 2008, a big park-and-ride and transit center was needed for what was then the eastern terminus of the line. Now that light rail extends to Gilbert Road, that land can be put to other uses: https://www.connect.media/california...f-development/
Thanks for posting. That Park/Ride really needs some redevelopment, the parking lot is huge and underused for the reasons you mention. “[A]n iconic 200-unit multifamily complex in the heart of the City of Mesa" doesn't inspire a lot of excitement. But it sounds like that's just the plan for the 4-acre parcel this buyer bought, and the bulk of the Park/Ride can still get further development later on. Mesa has had such a hard time attracting non-subsidized development along the light rail that I'd be happy with most anything over nothing.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting. That Park/Ride really needs some redevelopment, the parking lot is huge and underused for the reasons you mention. “[A]n iconic 200-unit multifamily complex in the heart of the City of Mesa" doesn't inspire a lot of excitement. But it sounds like that's just the plan for the 4-acre parcel this buyer bought, and the bulk of the Park/Ride can still get further development later on. Mesa has had such a hard time attracting non-subsidized development along the light rail that I'd be happy with most anything over nothing.
So I think the parcel they bought (which fronts Main St.) there were plans for a subsidized housing project. The City was skittish about having so much subsidized housing in that part of town. Then later, I thought the City had a whole program for the rest of the Park and Ride, it was suppose to be a mix of senior living, hotel, apartments and I thought space for a University presence. I guess that never panned out? I haven't heard anything from the City about the current status of the P&R.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:53 PM
self-important urbanista

"Despite objections from downtown advocates, the Mesa City Council approved a zoning amendment that removes an obstacle to a huge redevelopment project on a vacant car dealership site."

https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...953464492.html

The big issue seems to be a requirement for ground floor retail. I'm glad the city council saw fit to relax that. Ground floor retail is great when there is the demand for it, but when it's mandated in excess quantities, the result can be the blight of empty storefronts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:54 AM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/h...n=ReviveOldPos

Sometimes Gilbert really impresses me. It’s little “Main Street” Heritage area always has me rubber necking whenever I pass through. Will certainly liven this sleepy East Valley town.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 11:35 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Sometimes Gilbert really impresses me. It’s little “Main Street” Heritage area always has me rubber necking whenever I pass through. Will certainly liven this sleepy East Valley town.
What's impressive about this project is that it will be the first time that somewhat urban development has extended north of the Western Powerline Trail. Up until now, I have considered that multi-use path the northern boundary of Gilbert's Heritage District (aka downtown Gilbert).

Speaking of the path, construction of the bike/ped bridge over the Union Pacific tracks just west of downtown supposedly started just a few weeks ago. This project will fill an infrastructure gap, connecting the heart of Gilbert to Chandler, Mesa, and Tempe to the west.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
What's impressive about this project is that it will be the first time that somewhat urban development has extended north of the Western Powerline Trail. Up until now, I have considered that multi-use path the northern boundary of Gilbert's Heritage District (aka downtown Gilbert).

Speaking of the path, construction of the bike/ped bridge over the Union Pacific tracks just west of downtown supposedly started just a few weeks ago. This project will fill an infrastructure gap, connecting the heart of Gilbert to Chandler, Mesa, and Tempe to the west.
Oh wow I didn't realize they were doing that. That will be great, it was always annoying to walk the bike across the tracks there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:21 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Oh wow I didn't realize they were doing that. That will be great, it was always annoying to walk the bike across the tracks there.
Yes, it was supposed to start this month with completion in February 2021. Next time I'm in Gilbert, I'll have to take a look and see if there's progress. Although a grade crossing would have been quicker and cheaper, the risk-averse railroad wanted a bridge. Thankfully, it looks like it will be an attractive one bundled with some nearby improvements to the path.

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/Home/Compo...s/News/3173/17

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

I ate at Barrio Queen when I was out there last a few weeks ago. I had known that Gilbert was building the Yard and few other spots, but I had not been there since their completion. I have to say, Gilbert is becoming one of my favorite town centers. I can't wait to see this new development get completed.

Quote:
Yes, it was supposed to start this month with completion in February 2021. Next time I'm in Gilbert, I'll have to take a look and see if there's progress. Although a grade crossing would have been quicker and cheaper, the risk-averse railroad wanted a bridge. Thankfully, it looks like it will be an attractive one bundled with some nearby improvements to the path.

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/Home/Compo...s/News/3173/17
I have actually been in contact with the Town of Gilbert project coordinator on this bridge. He had let me know that the construction contract was to start on May 20th (having moved back a few times from the original completion date of late 2019). I did a ride on the Powerline Trail on May 19th and there were no indications that work had commenced.

I sent an email my contact to get verification if construction has started. I really hope so as this was always aggravating to carry my bike across the tracks!

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jun 18, 2020 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:14 PM
Skyriser

I don't even know how long it's been since I've driven through downtown Gilbert but it's completely unrecognizable on Streetview. The two blocks of annoying 25 MPH is now some place I wouldn't mind going out of my way to check out next time I'm in town.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:55 PM
Modulator

Here's the response I received from my Gilbert contact about the Powerline Trail rail bridge:

Quote:
We have started construction, finally. Yahoo! For most of the project the trail will not be affected as the construction will be happening south of the trail to clear power lines. We are hopeful the bridge will be open for use by next February and if the universe finally stabilizes we hope to have an opening party. Thank you for your continued interest and excitement. As always I’m hear if you have further questions.
I am going to have to make a trip to the multi-use path this weekend and check it out

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:02 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Here's the response I received from my Gilbert contact about the Powerline Trail rail bridge:

I am going to have to make a trip to the multi-use path this weekend and check it out
Great news. That time of year will be much cooler than now, so maybe I'll get ambitious and ride all the way from Arizona Mills (the western end of the path) to Gilbert.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:35 PM
self-important urbanista

Overview of projects in downtown Mesa:

https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...2a6f6f4de.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest