HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 3:36 PM
Change is good

thank you The Chemist - I remember that photo, and was hoping to see it in this thread. Just forgot who took it and what thread it was in!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:14 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Montreal seen from Clinton County, New York, USA. 120 Km and still very clear !

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

graup...where have you been?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:39 AM

While some skylines might be visible under ideal conditions from further away, the chance of seeing Calgary from 50+ km away is very likely given the predominantly clear skies and the fact that the land rises in almost every direction from downtown meaning that one is typically looking down on the skyline. I don't have any pictures, but I've seen downtown Calgary from the summit of Mount Sparrowhawk which has got to be 100km away.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
those typical mt rainier looming over seattle photos always boggle me...ive been to seattle 10 times and i have never even seen mt rainier...these photos make it look as though you could ski down it and catch the chair back up at the bottom of the space needle
"Typical" is what is misleading. I lived in Seattle for 4 years as a kid and then another 4 as an adult. Ranier absolutely dominates the Seattle area when skies are exceptionally clear, which is almost never. The same can be said about Hood and St. Helens over Portland and to a lesser extent Baker over the Lower Mainland. I've seen days in Portland when St. Helens, Hood and Adams seemed so close you could almost touch them.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
While some skylines might be visible under ideal conditions from further away, the chance of seeing Calgary from 50+ km away is very likely given the predominantly clear skies and the fact that the land rises in almost every direction from downtown meaning that one is typically looking down on the skyline. I don't have any pictures, but I've seen downtown Calgary from the summit of Mount Sparrowhawk which has got to be 100km away.
At night can't you see ST Calgary from the edge of the rockies along the trans-Canada?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 4:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 6:53 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
"Typical" is what is misleading. I lived in Seattle for 4 years as a kid and then another 4 as an adult. Ranier absolutely dominates the Seattle area when skies are exceptionally clear, which is almost never. The same can be said about Hood and St. Helens over Portland and to a lesser extent Baker over the Lower Mainland. I've seen days in Portland when St. Helens, Hood and Adams seemed so close you could almost touch them.
It's a neat effect. On clear days in Winter, the Sleeping Giant looks so big you think it can't be any more than 3 or 4 miles away, but add some heat and humidity and it seems to shrink away.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:05 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
The picture I posted earlier was from the summit of Mount Bogart, which I believe is in the same general neighbourhood as Mount Sparrowhawk (which I haven't climbed). But I'd guess that Sparrowhawk is somewhere around the same distance as Bogart from downtown Calgary, somewhere around 85-90km.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
At night can't you see ST Calgary from the edge of the rockies along the trans-Canada?
Not quite. You first see the city/city lights - albeit briefly - on the down side of Scott Lake hill which is technically foothills. From Exshaw (the rough edge of the Rockies) until Scott lake hill you are in the Bow valley bottom and cannot see the city.

I have been on a number of peaks where I have seen the city - ones I believe that are farther out than Sparrowhawk and Bogart. I will have to check my notes and figure out which one is the furtherest out.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:35 PM

I guess we have a winner here. I'm starting to feel like, if I squint, I might be able to see Calgary from the CN Tower. Regina obviously gets props for it's visibility to building height ratio .

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 4:15 PM

Regina can be seen from a LOOOOOOONG way out too. In the night time you can pretty much see the city as soon as you leave Moose Jaw. From the east the skyline looms ahead of you for what seems like forever. From far off, the skyline also looks deceptively taller than it actually is.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 2:13 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is the Toronto Skyline from the American side of Lake Ontario, approximately 50km. Clearly it could be seen from alot farther away than that.

by: MLK6615 on flickr.com

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 2:38 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Here is the Toronto Skyline from the American side of Lake Ontario, approximately 50km. Clearly it could be seen from alot farther away than that.

by: MLK6615 on flickr.com
That's a great shot! How many days of the year is it actually clear enough to see from the American side to Toronto?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 3:01 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Off the top of my head I'd say 50% of the time.

Here is a shot of Toronto from Hamilton mountain, distance is approximately 65km.

credit: Jennz World on flickr.com

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
toronto from St.Catharines by Redroom Studios at UT
(www.urbantoronto.ca)

What's the distance for this one?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:24 PM
Cambridgite

I guess this raises the question of whether or not camera zoom should be taken into account when stating whether or not the skyline can be seen by the human eye. From the human eye, Toronto's skyline looks tiny from St. Catharines.

Not sure of the distance across the lake, but St. Catharines is a little over 100km from downtown Toronto when driving.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

On a nice clear day from the human eye you can basically see a bunch of grey boxes, a shiny white dome and a grey tall skinny stick from Hamilton Mountain looking towards Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:38 PM
Website Manager

Victoria from the water to the south, coming in on the ferry from the US.

Pics from http://vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3921

Don't know the distance.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:25 AM

Interesting that the skylines of Canada's three largest cities (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) can be seen while standing on U.S. soil.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada