HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 11:36 PM

Mexico City - Random - Oct. 2010

So this past weekend I had the privilege to visit Mexico City with my boyfriend (who is Mexican). I've compiled completely random, disjointed photos of my trip and since there are so many I really don't have the time to point out where and what, but I hope you still enjoy. My bf has some friends that live in an insanely opulent penthouse in an area called Polanco, and the experience was just amazing. I got to see a side of Mexico City most tourists don't get to see, and that is the world of ridiculous wealth, bodyguards, limos, drivers, classism, etc. However, I also got to see the "real" Mexico City which was poverty-striken, quite dangerous, historic, beautiful, ugly, etc. Let's just say I love this city and I definitely have a special place in my heart for it. It really reminds me of a fusion between Los Angeles and Bangkok-->gone Mexican. Here's a Lonely Planet excerpt (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/mexico-city):

On a crisp October evening, families crowd the Zócalo to look at tombstones. Rows of these mock monuments stand on a carpet of colored sawdust strewn with marigolds and painted skulls.

French poet André Breton famously called Mexico the surrealist country par excellence, and the capital seems to revel in its strangeness. The world’s third largest urban area (by some estimates) fills a highland basin 2240m above sea level, so you might already feel a bit light-headed upon arrival. Often described as a malevolent maelstrom of unbreathable air and rampant crime, the city nevertheless impresses visitors as a wonderfully weird and welcoming world, and captivates them with its year-round springlike climate, bubbling street life and abundant cultural offerings.

Like any great metropolis, Mexico City presents a mosaic of scenes. One moment you’re knocking back tequila at a grand old cantina, the next you’re grooving to world-class DJs on a rooftop terrace. Breakfast on tamales and atole (a drink made from corn) from a street corner vendor, dine on fusion cuisine by one of Polanco’s acclaimed chefs. After an afternoon spent sharing the anguish of artist Frida Kahlo, watch masked wrestlers inflict pain on one another at the lucha libre (wrestling) arena downtown. To be sure pollution and crime remain real concerns for Chilangos, but since the turn of the millennium, there’s been a palpable sense that the capital has turned a page. Rather than heading for the apocalypse, it now seems destined for a renaissance.

DSCN7732 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7733 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7740 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7741 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7742 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7758 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7776 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7780 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7783 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7784 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7785 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7788 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7791 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7795 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7796 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7797 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7801 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7807 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7814 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7818 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7825 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7826 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7827 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7828 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7829 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7830 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7832 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7833 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7834 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7836 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7837 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7839 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7840 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7841 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7844 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7846 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7857 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7859 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7868 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7875 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7895 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7900 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7903 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7904 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7906 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7907 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7915 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7919 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7921 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7924 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7926 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7932 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7940 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7947 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7951 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7954 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7964 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7983 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7993 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN7994 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8025 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8033 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8038 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8043 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8049 by destroy_create, on Flickr

DSCN8051 by destroy_create, on Flickr

Last edited by destroycreate; Oct 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:20 AM

Great photos!

I've never had a desire to go to Mexico, but I've always been fascinated by Mexico City, and for me, that would be the place in Mexico to visit. It looks like a city I would like.

Is your bf a Chilango?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
them bones

One of the best trips I've ever taken...

Great photos of a great city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Great photos!

I've never had a desire to go to Mexico, but I've always been fascinated by Mexico City, and for me, that would be the place in Mexico to visit. It looks like a city I would like.

Is your bf a Chilango?

I fell in love with the city, but honestly, my experience could've been vastly different had I not been surrounded and guided by Mexicans who know the city in and out. I think if I had been alone I would feel quite vulnerable and overwhelmed, and might've missed out on the true essence of the city. At the same time, I can only recommend it for a visit - it's just so massive, cosmopolitan, fashionable and frenetic all in one. It's probably one of the most surreal cities I've ever been to, I don't even know where I can compare it to.

My bf is from Baja :-) Our friends who we were visiting however are Chilangos.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:32 AM
International

bueno, pero la verdadera pregunta es: ¿cómo va tu español?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:02 AM
Have no regrets

I can see the similarity with LA, (massive highways, car culture, hills, mountains, valleys, spanish style mansions, polycentric etc). I've had mixed feelings with mexico city ever since I visited. The west side is full of mansions on the hill tops, office districts with elegant towers (Santa Fe, Interlomas, Bosques de chapultepec etc). Then you have the east end which is by far the largest slum I've seen to date. The class divide is no joke. The historic core has some great neighborhoods with drop dead gorgeous architecture though. Great pics man.

Btw, although Mexico city is quite the big city, geographically, it's metro area is smaller than many american cities (contrary to popular belief) like the bay area for example.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:09 AM

Precious. You and your boyfriend are suuuuper cute! Oh, and so is El Ciudad de Mexico!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:11 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
I can see the similarity with LA, (massive highways, car culture, hills, mountains, valleys, spanish style mansions, polycentric etc).
While I agree with the rest of your observations, how does having the world's 5th highest-ridden and America's 2nd-largest Metro system constitute having a "car culture" ...? Sure, there are lots of taxis, colectivos, buses, et al, but judging from my visits, I'd tend to think actual automobile ownership isn't all that high.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:20 AM
BANNED

You said it feels dangerous, but one would not guess that from the photos. Is violent crime limited to certain areas? The areas you showed don't look like ones in which violent robberies and shootings would occur.

Is your dude from NY? He looks like someone who used to post on WNY.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:22 AM
Closed account

Wonderful photos. It's great that so much of the city has been preserved. I recognized some of city core from my family's visit there when I was only 13. We stayed right on the Zocalo at the Majestic Hotel, with rooftop views of the snow covered volcanoes south of the city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
While I agree with the rest of your observations, how does having the world's 5th highest-ridden and America's 2nd-largest Metro system constitute having a "car culture" ...? Sure, there are lots of taxis, colectivos, buses, et al, but judging from my visits, I'd tend to think actual automobile ownership isn't all that high.
Honestly, it's really only (from what my friends tell me) the poor and lower middle class that use the Metro. From what I could see, MC seems to be a very sprawly, its layout, while dense, is very reminiscent of Bangkok - anybody who is middle class and especially those with money definitely will not be riding the metro/bus and like Americans, Mexicans tend to have a thing for cars. I'm not saying that Mexico City is completely autocentric, but it certainly didn't feel 100% walkable in any way. It appeared quite polycentric and detached from different areas. Like there would be pockets of great walkable neighborhoods and then stretches of long, infinite roads that would link them. I was surprised to see that many areas, like the Posh area Polanco in the photos, didn't have many pedestrians on the street.

RobertWalpole - I was lucky in the sense I was with Mexican friends who had their own cars so I was sort of being chauffeured everywhere and we took taxis everywhere. I mean, I really, really stick out in Mexico being a tall blond and I got attention everywhere I went, so I don't know that I'd have felt very safe walking around on my own.

However, MC felt MUCH more human than what we read about and see sensationalized in the media. In the "nice" areas (Bosques, Santa Fe, Lomas, Polanco, La Condesa) I really didn't feel vulnerable at all and I had a hard time seeing where exactly this random street crime happens. Though I have a lot of Mexican friends of affluent backgrounds (I have to say this because a person who is from money in Mexico will live an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT existence/lifestyle than someone else from a different social class) who say that the risk of getting kidnapping is a FACT of life. If you're middle class and above, you run that risk everyday of your life. Each one of my Mexican friends has a family relative/friend who has been kidnapped before...:/ But I think as long as you use caution and don't walk around in random areas at night you'll be fine.

To put something in perspective, by day Alan and I walked around in the "good" areas feeling just fine, but in the Historic Center etc. that felt slightly shady. Anyways, we got hungry late at night and wanted to head down to the 7-11, and being it was 11pm, as we walked out of the hotel immediately we were approached by hotel officials who insisted we not go out by ourselves....7-11 was no more than 1.5 blocks away. They literally got a security guard with a gun to walk us to the 7-11 (a 45 second walk!) because they didn't feel it was a good idea. This was in an area that to me seemed perfectly fine, so...I don't know...it's complicated!

Last edited by destroycreate; Oct 15, 2010 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:21 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the information.

It's a shame that such a beautiful city is so unsafe.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:30 AM
them bones

I didn't find it unsafe. I wouldn't go out alone at night in most areas, but during the day there's not alot to worry about.

You just have to be smart about things, like most places.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 6:06 AM
Have no regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Judging from my visits, I'd say Mexico City indeed has a car culture. Not only are cars all over the place, they're literally all over the sidewalks blocking the way, as seen in the pics posted. This is common throughout the entire city. What also surprised me was the abundance of car oriented developments in transit rich areas; the place practically caters to cars.
And even though it does have an extensive subway system, MC still falls short when we take the metro area into consideration (e.g. Buenos Aires blows it out of the water when it comes to rail). As mentioned, the subway is mostly used by poorer residents and is in fact losing ridership with continued upward mobility as public transit is usually associated with the "poor".

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:38 AM

Some nice scenes in here. I really love the skyscraper with the antenna.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
Illustrator, editor

Thanks, nice tour of an exciting city! I'm surprised you said that the metro is for the poor and lower middle class only, cause a mexican friend told me that the meto is the safest way to get around the city so I thought it was good enough for everyone. I have been told that the taxis are really unsafe and I know 2 people who visited MC that were robbed by the taxi drivers!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:20 PM

Cool photos. . .

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 5:38 PM

Never seen much of Mexico City before. Great photos, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Thanks, nice tour of an exciting city! I'm surprised you said that the metro is for the poor and lower middle class only, cause a mexican friend told me that the meto is the safest way to get around the city so I thought it was good enough for everyone. I have been told that the taxis are really unsafe and I know 2 people who visited MC that were robbed by the taxi drivers!
It's strange, we took taxis and I was nervous about that because I'd heard the same thing too from people. But I think there are several different kinds of taxis in MC, and I think the "Sitio" taxis are the ones that are safe to go on in.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:47 PM
reticulating splines

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/...ef546cd5_b.jpg

Now that's pretty cool.

Mexico City seems actually a good model of how "car culture" and public transit can compliment each other, and one for cities like LA and other U.S. Sun Belt metros to learn from.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos