HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:34 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Refrigerated eggs are a NAmerican thing. The protective coating is washed off them to reduce the risk of salmonella so that they must be refrigerated, as I understand it.
Yes, but the protective coating also prevents salmonella from penetrating the egg. It's basically two different ways to achieve the same goal, although I've heard arguments that the non-washed/refrigerated approach forces farmers to keep their chickens in a cleaner environment than in North America.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Since we're talking retail, this pissed me off: I went into Banana Republic the other day and they said : Oh our fittign rooms aren't open right, now but you have 45 days to return it".

If I can't try it on, what's the point of going into a store? I could just order it online have it delivered right to me and if it doesn't fit, return it. I have not heard of any documented Covid transmission from trying clothes on. The whole thing was ridiculous.
A friend wanted to try on/buy some running shoes but they wouldn’t let him try them on in the store. So he bought his intended size, went out to his car, tried them on there, and when they didn’t fit quite right, he went straight back into the store to return them, which they allowed.

It didn’t make any sense to me. A friend who works in a mall told me the retailers don’t want people lingering in a store any longer than needed, so trying on and browsing is discouraged. And they wonder why retailers are suffering!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
A friend wanted to try on/buy some running shoes but they wouldn’t let him try them on in the store. So he bought his intended size, went out to his car, tried them on there, and when they didn’t fit quite right, he went straight back into the store to return them, which they allowed.

It didn’t make any sense to me. A friend who works in a mall told me the retailers don’t want people lingering in a store any longer than needed, so trying on and browsing is discouraged. And they wonder why retailers are suffering!
Things amongst retailers don't seem make sense at all, even malls themselves. I've been to some malls where the washrooms have their Dyson hand dryers taped off or signage saying due to covid these dryers are not in use, please use paper towel supplied and then another mall in the washroom it will say due to covid please use the hand dryers.

The not lingering I can understand as at smaller stores some of them have capacities of 2 people and stores want all customers to get in so get em in and get em out I guess. Maybe they could communicate the why they can't try it on in the store better to customers.

I was at a Winners today and its the first one I have seen where they have removed racks of clothes to provide more space for customers, the space between the racks is normally very close and you can easily bump into people but there was a good 10+ feet between the racks.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Yes, but the protective coating also prevents salmonella from penetrating the egg. It's basically two different ways to achieve the same goal, although I've heard arguments that the non-washed/refrigerated approach forces farmers to keep their chickens in a cleaner environment than in North America.
That is my understanding as well, at least wrt Europe. On the other hand, I've had eggs in Latin America that I had to wash myself ...

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jan 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:05 AM
ハルウララ

Vancouver-based Triple O's enters Greater Toronto Area, with plans to open 30 Ontario locations

"The first location (at 1520 Courtneypark Drive East) opened on March 2 in Mississauga. The opening had been originally planned to open in 2020 but was delayed by six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It'll be followed by another one on Zenway Boulevard in Vaughan, slated to open its doors in April. Other Ontario locations will be in Toronto, a second spot in Vaughan, and one in Hamilton. In addition, the company will also operate its On the Go Truck, a 30-foot mobile restaurant.

The company has ambitious plans to open a total of 30 locations in Ontario over the next five years.

In addition to free-standing locations, Triple O drive-thru shops in Ontario will be located at Pioneer and Ultramar gas stations (owing to the company’s relationship with Parkland Fuel Corporation)."

https://www.straight.com/food/vancou...ario-locations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:44 PM

So this is a fast food/take out version of White Spot?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So this is a fast food/take out version of White Spot?
Much smaller menu. Basically just the White spot burgers. They are very common in the lower mainland attached to the convince store at the Chevron gas stations with a small sit-down area and drive throw.

There burgers are much better than most other fast food burger places and at about the same price point.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:53 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Triple O's bacon and cheddar burger is my jam. I always order one when I return home.

They make a decent poutine as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:46 AM
sick transit, gloria

I’ve never had Triple O’s but one of my fave podcasts out of Vancouver (Blocked Party) talks about it all the time. Very excited to try!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Vancouver-based Triple O's enters Greater Toronto Area, with plans to open 30 Ontario locations

"The first location (at 1520 Courtneypark Drive East) opened on March 2 in Mississauga. The opening had been originally planned to open in 2020 but was delayed by six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It'll be followed by another one on Zenway Boulevard in Vaughan, slated to open its doors in April. Other Ontario locations will be in Toronto, a second spot in Vaughan, and one in Hamilton. In addition, the company will also operate its On the Go Truck, a 30-foot mobile restaurant.

The company has ambitious plans to open a total of 30 locations in Ontario over the next five years.

In addition to free-standing locations, Triple O drive-thru shops in Ontario will be located at Pioneer and Ultramar gas stations (owing to the company’s relationship with Parkland Fuel Corporation)."

https://www.straight.com/food/vancou...ario-locations
That's very interesting. Difficult to tell how that chain will do in the GTA and Hamilton. It's pretty competitive in those parts and the Triple O's name isn't likely known by most people. I'm surprised that they didn't start in cities like Kitchener and London which tend to be often used as test markets for Southern Ontario. The Mississauga location will sell lots of chicken sandwiches due to its demographics.

I've been to BC a number of times but have yet to go to a Triple O's. But I have been to White Spot a number of times and tried their burgers and sandwiches which are the same ones Triple O's has. My favourite is the Salmon burger but I don't think Triple O's has it on their menu. I will say that the burgers and especially the fries impressed me at White Spot. White Spot is very good in my opinion for a chain restaurant. I like how they promote BC grown food.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
That's very interesting. Difficult to tell how that chain will do in the GTA and Hamilton. It's pretty competitive in those parts and the Triple O's name isn't likely known by most people. I'm surprised that they didn't start in cities like Kitchener and London which tend to be often used as test markets for Southern Ontario. The Mississauga location will sell lots of chicken sandwiches due to its demographics.

I've been to BC a number of times but have yet to go to a Triple O's. But I have been to White Spot a number of times and tried their burgers and sandwiches which are the same ones Triple O's has. My favourite is the Salmon burger but I don't think Triple O's has it on their menu. I will say that the burgers and especially the fries impressed me at White Spot. White Spot is very good in my opinion for a chain restaurant. I like how they promote BC grown food.
Looks like they also recently opened a Calgary location. I find it odd they would jump to Ontario and not slowly move western by hitting Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg next. Either way a positive move.

Found their press release for the new store. Looks like it was intended to open last year but was delayed due to COVID.

https://d15u2cc0ghnorb.cloudfront.ne...-Final-003.pdf

Interesting facts from the press release:
- They already have 71 outlets in Canada and Asia.
- They have a goal of going into most Canadian markets.
- They also plan to bring the Trip O food truck service to Toronto. You see it around Vancouver in various places.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 10:17 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I had to go into the office over the Christmas break to pack up some stuff and was able to check out the new Farm Boy at College Park. It's quite small but seemed to have a good selection and makes quite efficient use of the space. Much better than the Sobey's it replaced. One thing I noted is that the aisles didn't have the COVID direction arrows most places have (and are largely ignored!).

It's interesting to see two small format urban grocery stores in the same complex. I'd probably shop at the Farm Boy almost daily if I were back in the office...
St. Catharines got a Farm Boy store (a little over a year ago I think). If it wasn't for covid I'd check it out even though it's nowhere near me
What makes them different from other grocery stores?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
St. Catharines got a Farm Boy store (a little over a year ago I think). If it wasn't for covid I'd check it out even though it's nowhere near me
I see a Farm Boy “coming soon” sign in the window at Queen’s Quay Terminal but the Farm Boy website doesn’t say (other then 2021) when it’s going to open. (I often stay in that area when I visit Toronto). I wonder when it’s going to open. I wouldn’t mind checking it out when it does.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know how widespread Market Fresh was before it went under, but Farm Boy is similar. Rustic decor. Focus on fresh produce, meat, sea food, deli. Good selection of meals to go. Products from smaller companies. No toiletries, soft drinks or pharmacy items. No cleaning products or pet food.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I once saw Farm Boy described as a cross between Whole Foods and Trader Vic’s.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:19 AM
Great White Norf

Thanks for the info, guys

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:05 PM
recession proof

Farm Boy is a waste of time. Save your money and get most of the same things at Freshco and Sobeys.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Mostly store brand stuff (like Trader Joe’s). They often have good local produce and more Canadian meat or fish selection.

IMHO baked goods are better than you will find in other supermarkets.

Prices for produce are competitive. You will usually pay a premium for hipster store brand versions of things.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:06 PM

There's a Triple O's in Hong Kong, didn't realize it was not yet in Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:28 AM

White Spot is such an institution in BC, I am curious if it will have the same take in Ontario. I agree with what others said, expansion to Alberta would've been way more of a slam dunk than out to Ontario. But the food is good, it's classic comfort food and has a niche for that here, I go with my mom every week still.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada