HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:59 PM

Fibroblast Tower | 570 m | ? fl | Vision/Concept

Vision & Concept by: DPAI Architecture Inc.

Quote:
Introducing our Fibroblast Tower design:

This prosthetic intervention was designed to begin the healing process of the Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO designated World Biosphere Reserve which acts as both a connector and divider within the city of Hamilton. Viewed as a barrier to travel and the movement of goods, this land formation has been scarred with roads, paths and funicular railways in attempts to overcome travel challenges.

A fibroblast is a type of cell that manufactures and maintains connective tissue. It plays a critical role in an immune response to a tissue injury and the healing of wounds. Our fibroblast design repairs the escarpment's surface which has been damaged, providing safe and functional transit for both humans and wildlife.

Fibroblast bridges the existing dysfunctional relationship wherein the escarpment has become a symbol of the City’s political and environmental shortcomings. The tower stands to reconnect through healing and to acknowledge the fragility and importance of the ecosystem in which we live.
- DPAI Architecture Inc.
Quote:
Quote:
Fibroblast is a prosthetic intervention that is designed to begin the healing process of a natural ecosystem, the Niagara Escarpment. Seen as a barrier, the residents of the City of Hamilton, Ontario have attempted to conquer this World Biosphere Refuge by scarring its surface with roads, paths, and funicular railways to overcome travel challenges. The result is a dysfunctional relationship where the escarpment has become a symbol of the City’s political and environmental shortcomings.

Fibroblast Tower by DPAI Architecture Inc.
Quote:
Quote:
Playing the same role as its namesake, Fibroblast functions as a connective scar tissue, bridging the infrastructural and socioeconomic divide created by the escarpment, as well as the environmental wound created by existing roadways.

A fibroblast is a type of cell that manufactures and maintains connective tissue; the structural framework in animal tissues. Besides their commonly known role as structural components, fibroblasts play a critical role in an immune response to a tissue injury, and the healing of wounds. Fibroblasts produce collagen, a primary component of scar tissue.

Quote:
Quote:
The Fibroblast Tower plays both a practical and symbolic role in healing the practical, physical, social and political divisions that the escarpment exacerbates. It accommodates pedestrian, automobile and public transportation, while connecting cycling infrastructure above and below. It reconnects the wildlife highway and provides new bird habitats to support the natural ecosystem. It allows the escarpment to live, breathe, and erode as a living landform, in harmony with the animal and human inhabitants that live near or on it.

Quote:
Quote:
The habitable environments in the tower provide democratic and universal access to multi modal transportation, recreation, and spectacular views for all residents, regardless of ability or whether they live in the upper or lower city. More importantly is allows opportunities for upper and lower city dwellers to commune with one another on many different levels. As the tallest free-standing structure in the region, it will be visible from many vantage points on land and water more than 100 kilometers away. It serves as an important symbolic landmark of a newly unified, connected, and healing city.

Quote:
Quote:
Waterfall between the two levels of the path. The upper pod acts as the intermediate metro station while the lower pod functions as an open air market.

Quote:
Quote:
The wild life corridor weaves through the paths but is completely inaccessible from them. Only hikers along the Bruce trail have access to it.

Quote:
Quote:
Interior view looking up into the bird sanctuary from the top platform of the tower accessible by the public.

Quote:
Quote:
Tower plan: The tower functions both as a vertical public park, and as an extension of the escarpment’s natural ecosystem. The pods that surround each level of the tower function not only as observation platforms, but also as pools and planting beds with enough depth to accommodate the root system of a large tree.

Quote:
Quote:
Tower section: The tower functions both as a vertical public park, and as an extension of the escarpment’s natural ecosystem. The pods that surround each level of the tower function not only as observation platforms, but also as pools and planting beds with enough depth to accommodate the root system of a large tree.

Quote:
Quote:
Plans of park pods along the path.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:39 PM

Is this something that is actually planned?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:44 PM

I absolutely love this the more I read through it and see the ecological benefits, the nature corridor, active transport, bird sanctuary etc..... such an amazing idea rooted in nature and community building

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice concept, however, could you imagine the number of support beams from the ground to the base it would require? lol LOTS.

I like the wildlife corridor and the tower idea. The two circles is a little too much.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:40 PM

Too big, too much for my liking. A scaled down version might work.

Last edited by NortheastWind; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
Is this something that is actually planned?
No, it's just a concept. Architects do it all the time to test out new ideas.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:19 PM

This is a great concept. Not exactly realistic as shown, but could be adapted into something practical to build and maintain.

When we wonder about an iconic structure to define Hamilton, this begins to answer the question.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:22 PM

Also needs a better name. "Fibroblast Tower" is not inspiring nor does it roll off the tongue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:24 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Coolest concept I have seen in many many years! I hope some aspects of this could really be implemented, would be a defining tourist attraction on top of the environmental benefits!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
Also needs a better name. "Fibroblast Tower" is not inspiring nor does it roll off the tongue.
haha..I thought the same thing

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Coolest concept I have seen in many many years! I hope some aspects of this could really be implemented, would be a defining tourist attraction on top of the environmental benefits!
agreed….would be such a cool landmark because it would be unique to Hamilton and celebrate our natural escarpment feature, while improving quality of transportation, nature and social gathering spots above and below the escarpment in the centre of the city. I've long wondered why we don't take advantage of our escarpment. I mean it's 2019 and there's still not a single restaurant with patio overlooking the Mtn Brow….incredible.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
Fibroblast sounds like a high-fiber cereal. The tower would be what you sit on when it begins to work.

Really neat concept. More unique than the giant ferris wheel a number of places have. More functional than the idea of the big honkin' fountain in the harbour that Bratina had touted years ago (and apparently Mayor Fred had had that thought too, according to Ms. MacIntyre)

Though the funicular looks like a bit of a wild ride, despite what appear to be self-leveling cars. And that wildlife corridor seems to be supported at the ends and only a few places in between; lots of mass there with the structure + the trees and greenery + the soil and its moisture. But I'm being too practical... perhaps we'll have anti-gravity technology when this is feasible and approved by city hall and the Niagara Escarpment Commission.

The ramps are cool and would be useful, despite not being realistic. They'd be extremely popular. But with more safety features.

Not sure I'd spend much time looking upward into the bird sanctuary though.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:31 PM

Could you imagine trying to get this project through city approvals?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:05 PM
Hamilton Historian

lol where would the water be coming from for the waterfall part? Would it only work when it rains..?

Also how would this react to snow loads? I just picture parts of this collapsing during a 100 year storm lol..

still.. I do love the imagination of it and the cris-crossing paths is something I have dreamed of in hamilton forever - adding tiered enjoyment of the city. I definitely think they are one the right TRACK - cuz I love a lot of the outdoor amenities they offer through this - I'd love to see something like this implemented in some way. We definitely need some sort of giant landmark to make us stand out.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:23 PM

I think taking this idea and just making some sort of walkway/deck out from the escarpment would be feasible - although that is iffy considering the way the escarpment is receding

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton