HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 3:58 AM

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 12:14 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Ooooh. I like that wood.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:31 AM

Rudy Hulst Commons | 6/10/16 by TerryCookeHCF, on Twitter

Larger Size:

1430 Main St. East | ? | 6 fl | Under Construction ---> Rudy Hulst Commons | ? | 6 fl | Complete

Last edited by thomax; Jun 11, 2016 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:46 PM

People have moved in. Looks like they just got to finish the main floor/room that faces main st.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 10:40 PM

Looks like their next project will be in the north end near James and Picton. I hope some of the design sensibilities carry over!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 6:33 PM

The official name is Rudy Hulst Commons.

From the website....(http://indwell.ca/projects/2)

Construction is finished!

Rudy Hulst Commons consists of 47 permanently affordable apartments in Hamilton's East End, which opened late spring 2016. Indwell's new head offices are on the ground floor and lower level.

Rudy Hulst Commons has redeveloped a former used car lot at east Hamilton’s most significant crossroads, Main Street East & Kenilworth Avenue. This area has seen years of disinvestment, but is once again becoming a centre of economic and cultural activity. Recent investments, including Indwell's Dr. John M. Perkins Centre, are revitalizing properties that have long been vacant or derelict.

To donate to this project go HERE. And go HERE to see regularly updated photos of the construction from our webcam.

Isaac Neven biked 800 kms in August 2014 to raise funds for this building in his neighbourhood. Go HERE to learn how Isaac helped to reduce homelessness in east Hamilton.

On June 12, 2014, The Hamilton Spectator published a great article on this project. See it HERE.

Stay tuned for information about a Grand Opening tentatively scheduled for June 17, 2016.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ings-1.4758636

Here's the secret to living in a 390-square-foot apartment
Turning micro-apartments into chic spaces is a game of illusions, expert says

When Chris Sabaria first got the keys to his 390-square-foot apartment, he didn't know what to do with all the space.

The 57-year-old previously lived on the streets. Before that, he moved between a rooming house, a shelter and even did a brief stint under a bridge in downtown Hamilton.

"I'm so comfortable here," the one-time landscaper said, referring to his tiny apartment that is roughly the size of two-and-a-half parking spaces. "It's everything I ever prayed for."
Sabaria's contentment is a promising sign for the increasing number of people looking to micro-apartments as a viable solution to the city's affordable housing crisis.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:35 PM

I lived in a smaller apartment than that in Germany years ago. But for Indwell it really makes sense to make them small to get the most bang for the buck. Interestingly the city doesn't have a minimum apartment size, but they had a minimum average size or at least that's what I remember from a project I'm involved in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton