HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:24 PM

I am too I just happened to come across that post and I though how often does someone actually have to eat crow because a development actually happened! You handled it like a champ!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Via Judy Marsales:

Second Floor: 5,000 sf @ $22.50/sf
"A Class Amazing Office Space in this new build... Fully accessible building. Underground parking. Elevator access to roof top terrace. Occupancy May 2014."

Ground Floor: 1,000-5,000 sf @ $22.50/sf
"Retail space available below 20,000 sq. ft. of office space. Terrific location on James North between Cannon & Wilson."
Both listings were dropped to $18 per square foot in August but it may have been in error: The ground floor listing is back to $22.50 per square foot.

Last edited by thistleclub; Dec 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 6:16 PM

$18 per square foot is pretty cheap. I wonder what the catch is.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 6:54 PM

^ lack of interest @ $22.50/sq. ft ??

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
$18 per square foot is pretty cheap. I wonder what the catch is.
lack of character

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 12:49 AM

^Probably. If I were looking to set up shop on James N I'd be seeking something with character. Something I could put a little love into. If they struggle to fill this building, it's just more evidence of the importance of old buildings in the rejuvenation of urban centres.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 10:47 AM

Glad to see this project is coming along. At first I wasn't sure about the design, but now I've warmed up to it. I'm glad they're using brick, which will fit in nicely with the colours of the street. To be perfectly honest, I'm glad its a little bit more modern. As for the glass tube thing, I think there is potential to make it look really cool. I'm not sure what the design of the interior will be like, but if it was open up to the top, it'd be sweet to see some sort of modern hanging light fixture in there. It'd look pretty awesome at night. Something like this would be cool, but obviously on a much larger scale to take up the whole space.

I also think that instead of running brick all the way down, using a surface like glazed tile or stone on the brick portions underneath the signage would be nice. A historical material used in a modern way. Something with impact.

Does anyone know how long construction should last on this project?

Last edited by davidcappi; Oct 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:45 PM

For the tube part of the building, I can see them putting horizontal lights running up the building that change colours (rainbowzz). That would be nice to see at night.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 1:19 AM

Sent an email to the developer asking some general questions about the property, and they said they had an art plan in place for the building, but are still working on finishing the details. Maybe some sweet graphic design on the glass tube? I'd be into that.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 5:16 AM

Walked by today and peeked through the fence. They've got the entire property dug dow about 14 feet, and support walls along the north, east, and west side, with partials on the south minus a slope for work trucks to get down into the pit. They've also got some sort of system rigged up in the pit as well. I'm happy to see this moving forward. I wonder if they'll be working through the winter.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:52 PM

The crane is going up this morning! It astounds me that this building makes economic sense at only 3 storeys considering it has underground parking and requires a tower crane to construct!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:00 AM

Snapped this picture about two weeks ago. This corner is going to look really different with a building there. Can't wait! The actual size of the building is really large. It takes up the two lots on the corner, and the one behind as well. Hopefully they use a similar brick that they used on the townhouses near City Square. The red brick will really complement the streetwall, and should wear nicely over time.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:44 AM

Sounds good. Cheers for the pic.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:14 PM

Also next door at LEON FURS, a renovation is underway and I hear the owner will open a bookstore.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:08 AM

Do you think there's much in the way of renovation happening at Leon's or are they just giving it a good hoovering?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Do you think there's much in the way of renovation happening at Leon's or are they just giving it a good hoovering?
Don't know how much of a reno, but they've been at it a little while, so more than just a hoovering, IMO. Maybe even past a Dysoning.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:11 AM

The storefront portion has been covered up for a while now with scaffolding, and much of the exterior above the windows and doors was removed, right down to the structuring.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:16 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah, its definitely more than a Hoovering. They ripped the front of the ground floor right back to the original iron beams. I hope they restore and re-hang the Leon furs sign.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Yeah, its definitely more than a Hoovering. They ripped the front of the ground floor right back to the original iron beams. I hope they restore and re-hang the Leon furs sign.
I doubt those iron beams are original.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
They would have to do it pretty quick. Overhanging signs are illegal but grandfathered, so no new installations.

I know a guy who was stopped putting signs back on his building after taking them off to clean up the exterior. That was when he said screw it and sold the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton