HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
lol
the Spec seriously spelt Rheem wrong?
what else is new??

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

QEW and 403 will have HOV lanes before 2015. All the athletes will be bussed into Hamilton along the HOV lanes. Lucky they'll enter Hamilton through the 403 and not through the Skyway Bridge.

Once they enter Hamilton from York they'll enter to James St to the stadium.

During the Games certain streets will be closed to cars. Much like the World Cycling Championships. I imagine York from Bay to James will be closed, probably will have events on the redeveloped York, and James St North will be closed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 11:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

From CHCH...........the business plan and recommendation will be presented to Council at February 2010. Tourism Hamilton preferred option is the West Harbourfront location and mostly importantly the Ti Cats also prefer the West Harbourfront location.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:59 AM

IMO the waterfront location has a much higher potential of doing good for the area and the city than anywhere else, including the SJAM property.

where did you hear of the SJAM proposal from paleale?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:02 AM
It's Hammer Time

It's Councillor Bratina's idea for the John A McDonald High School.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:09 AM

Would SJAM site be able to accomodate a 30,000 seat stadim, velodrome and practice facility?? Looks kind of cramped. Have to admit that the transport links would be a little better at SJAM, I think. And with Copps across the street, this could be an elite athletic training centre in one neat package.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:26 AM
It's Hammer Time

You'd be lucky to fit a stadium alone at McDonald's property.

I'm 100% for the West Harbourfront location. This is our greatest chance to do a massive brownfield cleanup.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:30 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
what else is new??
And they haven't even outsourced the editing yet.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
BMO Field cost $63 million for 20,000 stadium, it'll cost $102 million for 15,000 stadium.
The $100MM+ certainly sounds better than the ~$60MM for BMO Field, but it still sounds less than substantial.

BMO Field is about as bare-bones a stadium as you can get ---- the stands are alumimum with super-cheap plastic seating. The stadium needs constant upkeep because the stomping of the fans causes nuts, bolts, other fasteners to come loose. I would like to think that Hamilton's main stadium for the next several decades would be much more impressive than that.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:44 AM
Concerned Citizen

The West harbour location would be great. But if they are going to build something for the future, 25 or 30 thousand seats is just not big enough. They should be looking at something around 40,000 seats.

In Regina they are planning a dome stadium at a cost of 400-600 million dollars. I think I read something that said that would get them 45,000 seats.

I'm not saying we need a dome, but if they are going to build something that is going to be around for 50 years, don't chinze on it and build for the future.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
The West harbour location would be great. But if they are going to build something for the future, 25 or 30 thousand seats is just not big enough. They should be looking at something around 40,000 seats.

In Regina they are planning a dome stadium at a cost of 400-600 million dollars. I think I read something that said that would get them 45,000 seats.

I'm not saying we need a dome, but if they are going to build something that is going to be around for 50 years, don't chinze on it and build for the future.
Ticats games rarely have attendance that would sell out a 25,000 seat stadium.

For Grey Cups, Playoffs and Labour Day, bleachers can be added in the end zones.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:04 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post

For Grey Cups, Playoffs and Labour Day, bleachers can be added in the end zones.
That may be true, but if some time in the future they decide there is a need to expand, that expansion would probably cost as much as the initial construction. It's cheaper to put 10,000 more seats in now during the original construction than add them later.

Besides that who the hell wants to sit in end zone bleachers in November for a Grey cup or playoff game.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
Indeed. The Cats haven't had a packed-to-the-rafters season since 1972-73. Average regular season home game attendance from 1978-2008? Just over 20,000.

I support a proper stadium facility, but if a bigger facility (say, 40,000 capacity) is dependent upon investment from the Ticat camp, my initial thought is that they might be resistant to spending $50 milion on a building that would become instantly identifiable as perpetually half-empty.

Then again, Bob Young has already sunk half that sum into the team without gaining any legacy structure at all. And now his organization is taking business cues from... Tourism Hamilton? I guess anything is possible.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 7:43 PM

I think a 25,000 seat stadium is about right for the Cats and Hamilton. Kind of makes each of the games an event in that there are a limited number of tickets available and the team can adjust ticket prices accordingly, if the demand is there.

Again, as others have said above, for the "big" games like Labour Day, playoffs or the Grey Cup, temporary bleachers can be set up to raise total capacity to well over 40,000 maybe 50,000.

Instead of temporary bleachers, maybe they can do the old Ontario Place forum thing with general admission tickets on the grassy knoll in the south endzone.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Besides that who the hell wants to sit in end zone bleachers in November for a Grey cup or playoff game.
The people desperately trying to get tickets for the playoff game sunday?

Or people who love football. I sat in one the last time the Grey Cup was in the Hammer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:35 PM

Why does it have to be bleachers? There are temporary seating systems that have bucket seats. Just look at the top picture of this website.

http://www.eventseating.co.nz/

And any new CFL stadium should have a minimum capacity of 40,000 with the possibility to expand bowl seating and add suites.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 1:15 AM

I am not a fan of the idea of expanding a stadium over time simply because any stadium built that way seems to be on the cheap side and tends to look amateurish or lopsided.

It would be nice if a substantial, symmetric structure with 30K - 35K permanent seats were built.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 2:50 AM

Quote:

Nothing written in stone yet but Regina is contemplating a retractable domed stadium with 33,000 permanent seats and expandable to 45,000 to 50,000 for Grey cups and other events. Hopefully it becomes reality. Great to hear Hamilton is getting a new facility. Now if only we can get Ottawa in the league with a new facility and the proposed new stadium in Winnipeg off the ground. Good news for the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 3:03 AM

The estimated price of Regina's stadium is 350 mil.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughste3 View Post
Why does it have to be bleachers? There are temporary seating systems that have bucket seats. Just look at the top picture of this website.

http://www.eventseating.co.nz/

And any new CFL stadium should have a minimum capacity of 40,000 with the possibility to expand bowl seating and add suites.
You gotta be kidding me.... 40,000!!!!!! You people are NOT realistic. The Tiger-Cats NEVER EVER EVER, draw crowds that would approach that size. Waste of money both now, and for maintenance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton