HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:33 PM

Question What are your favorite things about SF and the Bay Area?

OK, apologies to the L.A. forumers from whom I stole this thread idea, but a recent discussion with a friend about SF's housing costs made me wonder: What are people's favorite things about SF and the greater Bay Area? What makes this such a desirable place to live, especially compared to other places you may have lived or could be living?

The first thing I came up with was: the diversity of experiences in such a small area (the vibrant downtown of SF, urban neighborhoods, smaller towns, parks, beaches, nature, etc.)

I'd be curious what others would add to the list. Forget all the venting...it's time for some positives!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:24 PM
designer&stuff

I live south of SF on the peninsula and one thing I love about the Bay Area is the weather.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:38 AM
Green Berniecrat

^^ I agree. Few other places in the country have weather like we do. It may be cool for the most part, but its a nice cool, certainly bearable. If you want heat, its not that far away either. As some people say "If you dont like the weather, just go down the block." (Refering to the microclimates)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:39 AM
S.F. needs more Neon.

I think the weather is to cold. I do love the Food here. SF has some of the best places to eat, and its kinda beautiful, and lots of good driving road close by.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:29 AM
BANNED

I hate hot weather--the kind that makes you sweat all the time and/or sit inside with the A/C blasting. I love good food and opera. I like tall buildings and crowds of people doing interesting things. I like the ocean. And dark redwood forests. And gorgeous natural scenery.

So why do I like San Francisco? Hard to say . . . .

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:47 AM

Wink what i like about the bay area

What i like about the bay area is the streetcars in san fancisco the hayward hills cause most of the places i go in hayward i always see the hayward hills also most places i go to is accessible by the BART.

http://reggie21.ld.net

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 5:32 PM

It's just where my family has always lived, it's home.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 9:50 PM
Pay it Forward

too many things to mention, but the weather here is heaven on earth. I just returned last night from 2 days of meetings back east and it was a nasty, muggy and sticky mess-complete discomfort. Stepping out onto the curb at SFO was a delight to the senses and the first thing that came to my mind was "its great to be back home".

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 11:59 PM

SF is still "home" for me and I miss it terribly at times, but I'm not ready to move back. In any case, I miss the fooooood. Please somebody send me a care package of Apple Fritters from Bob's on Polk. a decent non Starbucks double capp from Caffe Grecco or Puccini in NB, or some good Chinese food. (some chow fun where they dont use noodles akin to Golden Grain wide egg noodles would be nice), Sigh. I could go on. Ethiopian food. Cambodian. Middle Eastern.

The architecture: Man I miss the architecture. As long as I lived there, I never got tired of looking at the range of architecture styles spanning 100+ years. It's funny how much you appreciate it when you're no longer there and I am rediscovering old things/places on the internet and wondering if they're still there, or reminiscing about stores/restaurants that were there when I first experienced SF in 1982.

The weather? Well, one mans heaven is another mans.... I got so tired of what I felt was a constant wind blowing in my face, or walking down Montgomery and feeling like my 6'2" frame would be blown away. Or arriving into the office in the morning with a hairstyle different from when you left the house. I loved the fog to be honest, it always felt like a protective blanket over the city, but secretly I wished for the sun. SF was never a city that felt good in the heat, but the constant sun and warm weather here has done wonders for me.

I keep saying I 'll be back one day.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 1:48 AM
Operator No. 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I hate hot weather--the kind that makes you sweat all the time and/or sit inside with the A/C blasting. I love good food and opera. I like tall buildings and crowds of people doing interesting things. I like the ocean. And dark redwood forests. And gorgeous natural scenery.

So why do I like San Francisco? Hard to say . . . .
ohmygooses, me too! well, save for the opera bit.

and emphasis on the gorgeous natural scenery. or, take a bicycle ride up skyline and down pinehurst.

really, the weather is a top reason. never humid, and when it's too hot, one can escape to the cooler (with rare exception) coast.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:55 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarii View Post

The weather? Well, one mans heaven is another mans.... I got so tired of what I felt was a constant wind blowing in my face, or walking down Montgomery and feeling like my 6'2" frame would be blown away. Or arriving into the office in the morning with a hairstyle different from when you left the house. I loved the fog to be honest, it always felt like a protective blanket over the city, but secretly I wished for the sun. SF was never a city that felt good in the heat, but the constant sun and warm weather here has done wonders for me.
yeah,
when it gets over 75, I start complaining about the heat-cant stand the stuff-add to that wretched humidity and Im miserable. So I guess Im in the best possible place for my taste-thank goodness

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 10:20 PM

In Los Angeles, although we arent really landlocked, the distances and travel times from the ocean sometimes make me feel as though I am. One thing I love about the Bay Area is that your never too far from the water. Its everywhere, and I love the sea air. I also love the proximity to nature and that you dont have to go too far to be immursed in it. The region's naturally division makes it almost like there are 4 different cities sharing space and I thats certainly an aspect I like. There's Compact urban San Francisco, the milder alternative of Oakland/ East Bay (personally my favorite part), the Suburban center of San Jose, and the resort counties to the north. You also can't forget the proximity to Tahoe, Monterrey/Big Sur, and Yosemite. One thing I dont like about LA is how much of the entertainment industry is involved with the city. I have to say that makes the bay more attractive to me. I am also one of those who perfers the weather patterns up there. I like a mild sun, and a good dose of cold and rain. I find the fog of the city to be a wonderful touch as well. You just cant really beat the food either. There are certainly lots of good resturaunts here, but there is just a little something extra to the food up north. As a region I think it definitly stacks up as many options as its bigger brother to the south. I personally love them both, but the bay is probably my perfered place to call home. I'm sure I will be returning there to live in the future.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 4:09 AM

I agree...it's the water for me. I commute to work on the ferry. Not many cities have that type of public transit option. And, none can match a view of the sun shining on the Golden Gate bridge on a clear blue day crossing by Alcatraz. It's a cliche I know, but seeing the cable cars almost daily is something--and telling people from out of town that I occasionally ride the cable car up to the Fairmont for meetings and not as a tourist is pretty cool, too.

Unfortunately, I count myself in the warm weather camp so it's not the weather that appeals to me. But, I grew up in Minnesota so I won't complain too much about 55 degrees in January here when it is -10 back there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 4:11 AM

Oh, and I forgot. The diversity of the people, too. It's fascinating to have friends from literally all points around the globe. And the fact that, generally, all ethnic backgrounds pretty much get along is heartening for the future of the human race.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:00 PM
Of Heart's Delight

I like the weather in the South Bay: less fog and wind and often higher temperatures. I like the visible presence and contributions of immigrant communities. I like the parks around here, both the swingset and hiking varieties. I love the mountain views. I'm less than a hour from the beach. We have well-developed highways and decent public transit options. There's pro sports either down the street or up the freeway. There's relatively low crime down here. Places aren't run down like Detroit.

It goes on...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 3:33 AM

Though I am not a resident the misses and I go there frequently. We love the variety of the city, each area has it's own personality. The architecture is incredible. The downtown area the best west of Chicago (in my POV). The hills and bay. Golden Gate Park ending at the ocean. The restaurants and local shops throughout the city, and the corner stores.

If we could, I'd live in SF.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:26 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I hate hot weather--the kind that makes you sweat all the time and/or sit inside with the A/C blasting.

BT, then I hope that your able to spend your Summers in San Francisco as opposed to Tucson, since it can get absolutely oppressive down there in the summer with little relief.

Anyway....

My favorite thing about the Bay Area is San Francisco.

And my favorite thing(s) about San Francisco is;

#1 The year round weather is fairly consistent and comfortable..

#2 The waterfront...

#3 The fact that you can get anywhere in the city proper relatively quickly...

Lastly

#4 San Francisco feels like a special place.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 5:18 AM

The weather, definitely. I love having a "rainy" season and a "foggy" season as opposed to a freezing winter and roasting summer. I crack up going to other places where people talk about how nice their fall or spring is (and it typically sounds similar to our year-round temps). The only place in the world that comes close to equivalent weather (that I've experienced at least) is Barcelona.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 6:58 AM

Love how the responses have been trickling in...

I do think the weather is a big plus. It's not perfect, but it may be as good as it gets for me. It's moderate, but still has enough of that seasonal variation I like to have. When it gets too cold, put on a jacket and you're good to go. That's a better problem than dealing with heat and humidity and sweating like a pig.

I read an article somewhere that suggested there's a group of Pacific Rim cities that have a lot in common: Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Vancouver, Seattle, and SF. All places with lots of scenery, vibrant waterfront areas, outdoorsy laid-back populations but still some urbanity as well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:50 PM

Here are my favorites:

1 - Food - I know that others have said this already, but it just seems like restaurants here in the city (and even other parts of the bay area) take culinary dining to the next level. I love the mix of ingredients and the fact that you can get lots of great organic food. I'd put food in SF against NY any day (with the exception of a good Jewish deli).
2 - Culture - Love the diversity here in the bay area. I think that it really promotes the open minded nature here. I sometimes complain that its a bit too green here and maybe it is, but is sure beats the closed minded attitude that I've seen in other cities where I've lived or visited.
3 - Recreation - I'm an avid hiker, mountain biker, kayaker and just about anything outdoors. I can't think of many other areas where you can do this yearround and have such incredible scenery. Sure, when I lived in San Diego, you can do the outdoors stuff as well, but the views aren't as beautiful as here (such as biking across the Golden Gate Bridge, hiking Mt. Tam, etc).
4 - Educated people - I don't know, but I really enjoy being around people that I can have an intelligent conversation with. Now, I found this when I was in college in both San Diego and Phoenix, but in terms of the general population, neither of those places compare. Here, its an entirely different story.
5 - Weather - I'm not a huge fan of the cold, windy, foggy weather of the city (although it does beat the hot-humid weather of the east coast in the summer or the blustery, cold, snowy weather of the east coast in the winter). However, I would say that the weather a little further inland in the bay area (southern peninsula, silicon valley, marin county, interior east bay, etc, is ideal). I personally like it hot and don't mind it if its in the low 100s....just not 110s, like when I was in Phoenix.
6 - Jobs - Not too many other places in the US have such an assortment of high paying, professional jobs (high-tech, consulting, venture capital, investment banking, etc). The only other cities that I think can match or top SF in some of these areas (not all) are New York and Chicago. Now, you can argue that the cost of living negates these opportunities and I'd say that starting out, you'd be right. However, I think long-term, that the opportunities will always provide for a better lifestyle, which is one of the reasons why I moved here from Phoenix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West