HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

1020 Upper James Street | 27.5m | 8 fl | Proposed

Quote:
Density by the LINC on Upper James - 12 Storey Proposal for 1020 Upper James Street

By Joey Coleman // @JoeyColeman

May 7, 2017

Royal Living Development Group is applying for rezoning to build a 12-storey, 154 unit apartment building at 1020 Upper James Street a block north of the Lincoln Alexander Parkway.

The proposal is in the early stages of the City planning approvals process, with staff divisions presently reviewing the application.

Wellings Planning Consultants is the planner on the project. DPAI Architecture Inc. is the architect.

Cresmount Funeral Home is presently on the site. The proposal is to demolish the funeral home building, and create an urban form building with setbacks at the rear.
Site:

Google Street View | 1020 Upper James Street, Hamilton, Ontario

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:35 PM

Good to see they want to build much needed apartments instead of condos.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:36 AM
Hamilton Historian

well there goes another beautiful building..

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:06 PM
Hammer'd

Of all the strip malls on Upper James that you could knock over...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:43 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Why is everyone so upset? It's a really generic looking building, maybe a bit historic, but not urban or unique. Basically a historic example of a McMansion.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:22 AM

Biggest loss will be the nice but overly manicured garden.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Why is everyone so upset? It's a really generic looking building, maybe a bit historic, but not urban or unique. Basically a historic example of a McMansion.
As already mentioned, it's a much better looking building than many buildings along Upper James. Replace the ugly buildings and empty lots first and work your way up. That's how you make a bigger impact of transformation to a street/area. At best, this is a lateral move.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 12:46 PM

I thought everyone was being sarcastic lamenting this building. Lol

I'd be happy to see the entirety of Upper James demolished and replaced with mid-rise, and ground floor retail. The street is a horrendous waste of urban space and totally car dominant.

Something like a mid rise boulevard in DC or Denver would be ideal with centre running LRT/BRT

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
As already mentioned, it's a much better looking building than many buildings along Upper James. Replace the ugly buildings and empty lots first and work your way up. That's how you make a bigger impact of transformation to a street/area. At best, this is a lateral move.
And this development will help drive more? It's not replacing something beautiful, it's replacing something meh with higher density. It's an improvement unless the design is really ugly.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 8:47 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I thought everyone was being sarcastic lamenting this building. Lol

I'd be happy to see the entirety of Upper James demolished and replaced with mid-rise, and ground floor retail. The street is a horrendous waste of urban space and totally car dominant.

Something like a mid rise boulevard in DC or Denver would be ideal with centre running LRT/BRT

replacing everything with high rise buildings is not the solution - then you get the cold lightless windy corridors and the heartless feel of toronto - a mix of historic "ordinary" buildings and new is key. Imo.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:29 AM

all of those smaller houses that have been converted to tattoo parlours and manny pedi places along upper james near fennel should be torn down and replaced with low rise with retail .... and the plaza (shoppers etc.) should have had street front entrances or at least windows facing the street

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
replacing everything with high rise buildings is not the solution - then you get the cold lightless windy corridors and the heartless feel of toronto - a mix of historic "ordinary" buildings and new is key. Imo.

I agree on the mix, absolutely. One story boxes surrounded by asphalt on Upper James doesn't really do much for me personally tho.
I find Toronto to be full of charm, grit, historic street walls, etc..... I've spent several days or overnight trips in TO over the years and am always struck at the sterile cold vibe when returning to Hamilton on Main or York Blvd.
Of course we also have some vibrant human scale neighbourhoods that are fantastic. But Toronto has hundreds more.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:37 PM

Toronto's a soulless hellhole. I can say that because there are almost no Toronto posters in this forum.

All joking aside, Toronto's fine for a weekend or a day trip. But living? No chance. Never again.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Toronto's a soulless hellhole. I can say that because there are almost no Toronto posters in this forum.
haha! Some areas certainly are. I'm a big fan of the neighbourhoods. Love spending weekends in Trinity Bellwoods, Roncy, Leslieville, St Lawrence, Evergreen Brickworks, Kensington Market, College etc......

Bay and King...sure, monster glass office towers. But the city's neighbourhoods are fantastic.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Personally I just find toronto too big, the people there just too preoccupied with their own little worlds, and just subdivision upon subdivision of high rise condos.. it does feel soulless to me, hamilton is unique in that it is in the top 10 of places to visit in canada with high density which is NOT a provincial capitol - and I can walk through it without getting that intimidating "bigness" feeling I do walking through toronto - also its close proximity to the escarpment helps too.

As was said above, toronto is nice for a visit, but I could never live there.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 10:57 PM

The preparations for my Granddad's funeral where done at Crestmount...

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:21 AM

^^I agree with both of the above posts - not the funeral one.

Toronto has changed dramatically over the past generation. Some good. A lot bad.

It has become, more than ever, a magnet for people across the country and around the world. The city centre now seems mostly populated by people from other places who live in little see-through boxes high in the sky. The sense of community, the friendliness of Toronto has not disappeared per se but has greatly diminished.

Toronto is now your typical World City. Cold. Unfriendly. Unaffordable. Forever focused southward. In a sense, it's unCanadian - whatever that means.

I'm glad Toronto's there; Hamiltonians are fortunate it's on our doorstep. But, as someone who spent his first 10 years in Toronto, that city feels alien to me now and I always feel a great sense of homecoming when I pull off the 403 at York.

I hope Hamilton continues along its current trajectory but I'm worried about the culture shift that is likely to follow.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:04 PM

i recently moved back to Hamilton after 18yrs in Toronto... there's definitely more of a sense of community here in Hamilton (not to say that Toronto doesn't have its cute areas) but in Toronto the corporate take over of all the cute areas crushes the community feeling and keeps pushing people further and further out
besides the fact that people feel a sense of entitlement when they become a Torontonian (they just need a reminder every now and again that they too are most likely from a small town or suburban hell hole like the rest)

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:27 AM

^I like that.

Yes, it's that dreaded corporate takeover, seemingly at all levels of life in Toronto, that has had such an impact on the city.

And everything I've said about Toronto could be applied to Vancouver and many other major cities around the world. I love visiting Vancouver but to live there would be a terrible mistake.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:30 PM

source

source

This thread needs a name update from 1020 Upper James Street | ? | 12 fl | Proposed to 1020 Upper James Street | 27.5m | 8 fl | Proposed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton