HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 AM

HAMILTON | Residences of the Royal Connaught | ?M | 36/24/21/14 FLOORS

A rendering showing the restored Royal Connaught Hotel and the 36 floor tower:

Source

Source

New rendering showing the restored Royal Connaught Hotel, the 36 floor tower, and the 24 floor tower (Released Feb 2013):

Source

royalconnaught.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Royal Connaught to re-open by 2015: Owners

Teri Pecoskie
Mon Jan 21 2013 18:16:00

"The Royal Connaught will be re-inhabited as early as 2015, according to the hotel’s owners.

In a news release Monday, Ted Valeri and Rudi Spallacci say part of their proposed 700-unit condominium development is expected to be built and ready for occupants within the next three years.

The initial phase of the project is expected include 135 units constructed behind the original façade of the two existing Connaught buildings. The suites range in size from 530 to 1,190 square feet and start in the high $100,000s.

“People see the Royal Connaught as their hotel,” Valeri said in the release. “Our plans for the project are to bring it back and make people proud of this iconic address once again.”

Valeri and Spallacci say they plan to open a presentation centre for The Residences of Royal Connaught in the hotel’s three-storey lobby this summer. The centre will later transition into the building’s main lobby and reception area.

They couldn’t say when the rest of the proposed development – which is projected to include a tower featuring several hundred condo units, parking, commercial space and restaurants at the corner of King and Catherine Streets – will be complete."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The abandoned Royal Connaught Hotel as it sits today:

Source

Last edited by thomax; May 15, 2015 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:48 AM
Urban Fanactic

Why do all these amazing proposals happen after I move from Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 1:09 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Looks like 33 or 34 floors. I'm guessing around 115 - 120 metres. Looks great too!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Why do all these amazing proposals happen after I move from Hamilton.
Look on the bright side... If you ever move back, there will be a bunch of new condos to choose from, lol.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:36 PM

Update

New rendering:

Source

CBC Hamilton - Paul Wilson: Royal Connaught architect says "it's got to be full bore."

"So there are to be three towers beside and behind the Connaught – 36 storeys, 33 storeys, 24 storeys. They will fill all but a corner of the block bounded by Main, King, John and Catharine. There are to be 708 units in all.

There is still the possibility of a hotel component for the complex. But, as Harrison pointed out, "in Hamilton right now, residential is a reasonably easy sell."

Parking was a major challenge in the design. There will be two levels underground and seven camouflaged levels above, accessed from Catharine Street.

About 135 of the units will be in the old 12-storey Royal Connaught itself."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:02 PM

Royal Connaught | View Magazine Online Edition

by Darrin DeRoches
February 28 - March 6, 2013

"Downtown Hamilton is still humming with activity and the latest announcement from the owners of the Royal Connaught is really exciting. The developers, Rudi Spallacci and Ted Valeri have owned the property for over a decade and they have had some false starts but this plan seems to be the right one for the times. They are planning on three additional towers being built at 36 storeys, 33 storeys and 24 storeys tall. With a total of 708 units when they are done building their new project but most importantly a saved historical building as its foundation. They are planning on opening the grand foyer of the Royal Connaught this summer with all the plans laid out. The biggest question is will the project actually move forward and I can answer that with a resounding – yes!

These developers have done a ton of projects in the city and they know exactly what it takes to get it done. They are starting with the existing structure and selling one tower at a time. The demand will be there once the product is released. The beauty of this project is it can go in stages and finance itself as it grows. Sure, we are not Toronto where they just build it and it gets filled up, we will build then sell and then build some more. The demand and market conditions will dictate the pace but the final results will be magnificent. A heritage building as its anchor and a new 36 storey building will change the landscape of our city just as the original building of the Royal Connaught did when it was erected.

The addition of all of these new people living downtown, with the other projects already being built, will be a huge change to our downtown. I am getting inquiries on my downtown commercial listings from all over the place. Toronto is obvious, but also Kitchener, Peterborough and Oshawa companies as well. A commercial space put up a for sale sign this week and had four showings before it hit the market. They are asking nearly triple the price of what they bought it for 12 years ago and they will get close to their price. Downtown will fill up in the next five years and there is a lot of opportunities for those who can look ahead.

I was speaking to a real estate agent about it and his response to these announcements was “who is going to buy them?”. Hamiltonians will buy, people from outside the city will buy, and investors will buy to rent out. We are one of the last “affordable” cities in the Golden Horseshoe and these condos are going to be the perfect fit for breathing new life into our downtown. Rumour is they may still incorporate a hotel in the project and I really hope they do – it would be the perfect project with that mix – old and new – condo and hotel. V"

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:55 PM

First sign of The Residences of Royal Connaught is up:

Source

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:22 PM

Some advertisements from 180 Marketing showing the interior renderings. Bigger renderings will be released once sales start.

Source

Source

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 5:48 PM

More progress! A new banner up at the Royal Connaught.

hamiltonecdev
Source

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 11:22 PM

The restoration of the Royal Connaught has begun!

Bobcat working today at the Royal Connaught:

Source

Also the project is changing a bit. Along with a restored Royal Connaught, there was originally supposed to be 3 new towers @ 36, 33, and 24 floors with a 7 storey parking garage at their base, but beanmedic posted this yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
Received in the mail: Notice of Public Hearing for Application for Minor Variance.

Highlights:
  • 4 phases
  • 14 storey addition to existing structure
  • 4 storey parking structure
  • interior reno of existing structure
  • construction of 36 storey tower 1 with 239 units
  • construction of 24 storey tower 2 with 131 units
  • construction of 21 storey tower 3 with 104 units
  • max height 117m
Although 1 tower was cut down in height, the new 14 storey addition will make up for what was lost and there will now basically be 4 new towers instead of 3. The total number of new floors the original 3 towers would have added to the location was 93, but now the total is 95.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 12:09 AM

I'm struggling to figure out how these 4 towers will fit onto such a small site. are there any aerial images I can see to look at the site plan?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 12:32 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'm glad that the tallest has remained the same height. Of course I care more about the quality than the height.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'm struggling to figure out how these 4 towers will fit onto such a small site. are there any aerial images I can see to look at the site plan?
I haven't found any of the official site plans yet, but some should be released soon.

I used Google Maps to outline some of the options of where the new buildings & addition might be built. The location of the 36 & 24 storey tower are in the right location, we know that from the rendering in the first post of this thread. The location of the 21 storey (formerly 33 storey) tower and the new 14 storey addition are still unknown. The 21 storey tower will most likely go in the remaining space next to the 24 storey tower. The 14 storey addition could either be built on the shorter 3 storey part of the hotel or the very top of the hotel.

Original Photo Source: Google Maps

Original Photo Source: Google Maps

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:36 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quick question, is the 14 storie addition 14 more stories, or and addition to make it 14 stories?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Quick question, is the 14 storie addition 14 more stories, or and addition to make it 14 stories?
It is 14 more stories on top of what is already there. If it is added to the top of the Connaught it would make it a 26 storey tower and if it is added to the shorter 3 storey part of the hotel it would make a 17 storey tower.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 6:08 PM
Urban Fanactic

The Residences of Royal Connaught condo addition at Main Street East and Catharine Street South.

Photo by me.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:08 AM

Last edited by thomax; Feb 17, 2015 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:04 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive