HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 11:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Stinson School Lofts | ? | 4 fl | Complete

Stinson's got his eye on Stinson for development

October 27, 2008
Rob Faulkner
The Hamilton Spectator

Stinson Street School's farewell party had many highlights: the memories of former students, 100-year-old slates to sign, an attic as big as a barn with 94-year-old graffiti, and a question.

What next?

Its mahogany doors opened in 1895 near Wentworth Street South. It's slated to close at Christmas, as its kids go to the new Queen Victoria elementary school nearby.

Hamilton public school board director of education Chris Spence said a sale of the property will take months. It has to be offered to public bodies like the city. Then developers get a crack.

And that's why Saturday's party had a special guest.

Developer Harry Stinson, nondescript in an army-style jacket with pockets, toured a building he says is unlike any you can buy in Toronto. He's thinking condos, but isn't making any decisions yet.

"It's the name on the front of the building, that's what it is," he jokes, about the metal "Stinson School" letters on the school's brick that peek through conifers to the street.

The developer doesn't know if he's related to the schools namesake.

"To me the building has all the elements of The Candy Factory" -- Stinson's famous Toronto loft project hailed for its jaw-dropping industrial architecture.

Anyone who walks by is stunned by the beauty of the school and the view of the escarpment, he says. And it's down the street (1.6 km) from the GO station, he adds.

"You are surrounded by a mixed bag of housing, but clearly, at some point, grand homes," adds Stinson, who lives in Hamilton, and failed to secure financing for his $9.5-million offer on the Royal Connaught.

At the school he'll have to ensure the costs of repair and condo conversion don't match the cost units can sell for. He admits this part of the city has challenges but is not impossible.

One thing he is cautious about is its layout: The classrooms (7.6 m by 10 m) may be too small to split into two units, yet too large to sell as singles. The original building has five classrooms built for 50 students on floors one and two, which open onto expansive foyers.

Barbara Sikora, 80, recalls attending Stinson for kindergarten in 1933, and learning how to count using coloured sticks.

"I only got the strap once, one on each hand, and it stung... (for) talking I guess," says Sikora, who hopes the school will become residences.

Caretaker John Lane says whoever buys it needs to invest. The boiler is on its last legs; a 1914 addition to the south would require a second elevator. The gym is from 1959, the library from 1978.

John Aikman, who runs the public school board archives, said one idea may be to use Stinson as home to the archives now at former Vincent Massey school on the Mountain. Aikman, who attended kindergarten at Stinson in 1947, said it will require a lot of work even if it's not converted to condos. A tree is growing out of the front of the school's brick wall; a window in the uninsulated attic is broken; it's not as easy to heat a building as it was in the days of cheap coal.

The building is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, so it's more difficult for an owner to alter.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:31 PM
Closed account

haha...hey, I called this a few months back. Why not? Stinson buy Stinson. I'd rather have him do it then some group of jokers like the stiffs who butchered the old Spec warehouse on King William.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 3:20 PM

I love going through that area of town... lots of potential!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:11 PM

i want brock to move there from the briarwood school.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:33 PM

I think there's a 50/50 chance that this school will sit empty for quite a few years until all of a sudden there's a ton of young families moving to South of Main St. demanding that Stinson be reopened.

Anybody want to bet?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
I think there's a 50/50 chance that this school will sit empty for quite a few years until all of a sudden there's a ton of young families moving to South of Main St. demanding that Stinson be reopened.

Anybody want to bet?
I'd take that bet. They've already built a replacement school for Stinson, so there would have to be a big, big uptick in families with young kids.

As much as I'd like to see that happen I can't see that big an uptick.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:38 PM
I am a typical

Living in the school you went to is very popular.

A similar development here, however, was quashed by NIMBYs, who wanted the building to remain vacant so that they could use the vacant land as a "park". They didn't understand that the developer requested only half of the land (the part with the school on it) as part of his development, the rest would be the city's property.

How big is the school? Any pictures?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 6:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

photo from flar......
Stinson School

From Stinson phototour
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153938

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 6:32 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
I only wish.
We used to go there all the time in Portland. The place was awesome.
I think there are 2 or 3 locations in Portland, all in old schools. Very cool and great for urban neighbourhoods losing a school.
Hamilton always seems to get stuck with vinyl townhomes or nothing.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 8:27 PM

A microbrew would great for this building and location. Hamilton does not have any as far as I know. Pretty sad for a city our size.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 9:54 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Hamilton does not have any as far as I know. Pretty sad for a city our size.
A Hamilton motto...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:37 AM
Wiki Ricki

The Stinson neighbourhood was named after a Thomas Stinson who, according to the Dictionary of Hamilton Biography was a merchant, banker, landowner. He was an extensive landowner in not only in Hamilton but as well as Chicago, St. Paul, Minnesota, and Superior City, Wisconsin, a city which he named. The Stinson neighbourhood is bounded by Main Street East (north), Charlton Avenue East (south), Victoria Avenue South (west) and Wentworth Street South (east). Landmarks in this neighbourhood include St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church.

I wonder if Harry Stinson is related?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 3:31 AM
20 Stories Tall

I was wondering what this thread could possibly be about. Now I know.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 1:28 PM

Stinson School Lofts | ? | 4 fl | Proposed

Stinson unveils new Hamilton condo project
Paul Tipple
5/18/2009

Local developer Harry Stinson has another project in the works.

He is proposing to turn the former Stinson Street Junior Public School into loft condominiums.

The school on Stinson Street was originally built in 1864 and closed last year.

Stinson says his offer to purchase the building has been accepted by the Hamilton Public School Board, but he's still waiting for the deal to close.

Hey it worked for Allenby School just off Locke Street!

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 5:03 PM

"Stinson" count: 6

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 5:03 PM

pix

Pix by Flar on SSP:

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 5:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's a lovely building.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 4:25 AM
Raising the Hammer

^The Allenby lofts are really nice.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 5:23 PM

There is an old historical building, probably former industrial, on Alanson Street which was turned into lofts years ago. Not a big building but I think the project went off successfully. I think they were built in the late 80's to mid 90's I can't quite remember. Anyway it likely shows there is a market for lofts in that area, and those are backing on to the tracks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton