HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:02 PM

KIWI Condos on King William | ? | 14 fl | Complete

Mixed-Use residential/commercial project at 212 King William Street. Occupies the entire block from Ferguson to Jarvis Street.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:17 PM
Hamilton Historian

ok so I am confused.. is this going in the parking lot space or are they tearing down the 225 king william building to build this?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:41 PM

I know there's a lot of parking lots to build on but there's nothing special about that metal building. There's been talk about building an entertainment district on some other parking lots in the area. This would be good infill.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:36 PM

That would be amazing there..

Now hopefully the parking lots by Catharine and king William / Rebecca get filled in one day and that block will look good!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:01 AM

Yes, it'll be nice to see some of those lots filled. However, this proposal looks like it would be better suited to Upper Middle Road than downtown Hamilton. So, it's good news but hopefully there's still more to come from a design perspective.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:09 AM

White always looks bad and will not age well, other wise this is fine if unremarkable. Downtown condos are always a good idea

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:55 PM
Hammer'd

Not the best design but its good to see some parking lots getting built on.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Not the best design but its good to see some parking lots getting built on.
Yeah but if they get filled with these type of low rise buildings, it's better to keep the parking lot empty and wait till someone proposes a solid one like a tall office building with condo units on top..

Last edited by Rg2016; Apr 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg2016 View Post
Yeah but if they get filled with these type of low rise buildings, it's better to keep the parking lot empty and wait till someone proposes a solid one like a tall office building with condo units on top..
Hamilton is not Toronto. Highrises shouldn't be everywhere in downtown. I would like to see some lower rise buildings is this area, with some entertainment and restaurants. I visited Dallas years ago and they had a similar district in their downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Hamilton is not Toronto. Highrises shouldn't be everywhere in downtown. I would like to see some lower rise buildings is this area, with some entertainment and restaurants. I visited Dallas years ago and they had a similar district in their downtown.
We're gonna be heading that way anyway, if we want to end suburban sprawls, up is the only way to go.. plus theres a lot of space near the tim hortons stadium for these low rise, or near the locke st condominium, those are the ideal spots for it, not directly in the core.. but a few of these wouldn't hurt..

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:38 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Ya that's very suburban looking. It's like clip art for builders...skip the architects and buy a kit.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:49 PM

The renders come from my work covering the file: https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2017/...ication-filed/

The application is subject to Design Review, I expect we'll see more draft-like renderings at early stages as developers budget for further work after DR.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:33 PM

^Cheers.

Yeah, I suspect this is just a stock image. All that stucco and plastic and grey and blue makes me want to be sick, though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:43 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Calgary has lots of similar buildings going on in their downtown. Not amazing, but it's good to get some more parking lots filled in.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 1:05 AM

I don't mind the scale at all, but the design is all over the place. I count 5-6 different finishes? I think it just needs to be simplified /dialled back by about 45%.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 9:36 PM

So wonder how far the design has come - render on the Inlet shows something like a highway interchange hotel:

http://theinletonline.com/hamilton-d...oom-mid-rises/

seeing though the developer is capable of building something really nice like these units in Oakville:

http://www.melroseinvestments.com/pr...all-residences

Hope the designs revealed this week will be vastly superior from what sits there now:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/212...!4d-79.8608859

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:03 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post

seeing though the developer is capable of building something really nice like these units in Oakville:

http://www.melroseinvestments.com/pr...all-residences

omg those are GORGEOUS! Why can't we build things like that here? Why does everything architecturally opulent always just have to be in snooty ol' oakville?

And also why do I now feel like hamilton is just plain ol' not TRYING when it comes to masonry craftsmanship? I mean oakville is beautiful.. yes it's snooty, but beautiful.. and their architecture reflects that..

I mean tourists don't come for geometric shapes and steel and glass - every city has that - they come for the craftsmanship - heck that's half of hamilton's appeal, and why movies are shot here, because of all the old architecture. That style attracts tourists... Imo the William Thomas building - a combination of old and new is one of the best bets. Glass buildings look dated after a while.

And yes I realize that's where the money is, but STILL! Lol..

hmm..

"The Randall Residences is a new condo project by Rosehaven Homes. Prices starting from $1,800,000 to $3,000,000+, The project carries a total of 36 suites at 4 storeys. The Randall is estimated to be completed in 2017 and will be currently under construction at 300 Randall St in Oakville."

http://www.condoroyalty.com/the-randall-residences

Ah. They are basically condo mansions. Looking at the floor plans is unbelievable!

I must say the opulence is dizzying!

Last edited by Chronamut; May 7, 2018 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:52 PM

That building is beyond tacky and I can only imagine the kind of people who bought there.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 5:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That building is beyond tacky and I can only imagine the kind of people who bought there.
Personal opinion my friend - you like glassy and modern - some of us like elegant and traditional.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:38 PM

Those are the definition of trashy suburban developments. There's one in downtown Burlington that makes me cringe every time I see it.

Stucco on stucco on stucco. Random mishmashes of design elements thrown on for the hell of it. Vaugely "European" in the broadest and most unoriginal sense. They're the McMansions of condo developments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton