HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:12 PM

206 King Street West | ? m | 14 fl | Under Construction

Quote:
thespec.com: Developer who saved Hamilton’s Pigott Building back in town with 2 new projects

By Steve Arnold | July 13, 2016

The Toronto developer who turned Hamilton's historic Pigott building into a successful condo project has come back to town.

Vernon Shaw, of King Stuart Developments Inc., is planning two new mixed-use buildings — one in the West Harbour area and one downtown.

The downtown site, at King Street West and Caroline Street North will save the front of a historic building for commercial uses at the street level with "brick and beam" offices above.

Behind will be a 15-storey tower of 100 rental units averaging 550 square feet.

At the harbour, Shaw has acquired land at the southwest corner of Stuart and MacNab streets opposite the new West Harbour GO station.

The plan there is for 75 units averaging 750 square feet. There will be two underground parking levels. The north side of the building will overlook the harbour while the south side will offer a view of Jamesville and the city's changing skyline.

Both projects are still in the planning stages.

Shaw is founder of the Canlight Group of Companies.
Google Street View | 206 King Street West, Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:29 PM

I assume anything historic is under that awful front? What was there before it was covered?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I assume anything historic is under that awful front? What was there before it was covered?
Someone else probably knows more info on it, but I think it's a late 1800s/early 1900s commercial building.

You can see it in this photo. It's the white building on the far left. It had windows all the way up on the King street side...

Vintage Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Someone else probably knows more info on it, but I think it's a late 1800s/early 1900s commercial building.

You can see it in this photo. It's the white building on the far left. It had windows all the way up on the King street side...
It is all brick according to the article, so it must be painted white.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:21 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

New office is good to hear. That's something Hamilton definitely needs to start developping.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:35 AM
It's Hammer Time

Developer who saved Hamilton’s Pigott Building back in town with 2 new projects

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/67...-new-projects/

A Toronto developer who turned Hamilton's historic Pigott building into a successful condo project is coming back to town after 20 years with plans for two new buildings.

Vernon Shaw's King Stuart Developments Inc. has plans to add 175 condo units to the city's housing stock, bringing the number of units proposed or under construction in the core to more than 1,500.

"There's no question in my mind that Hamilton is in the throes of an extraordinary transformation," said Shaw.

The projects are worth a combined $50 million.

Shaw's company has purchased buildings in the bayfront area at the southwest corner of Stuart and MacNab streets, directly across from the new West Harbour GO station, and in the heart of the city at the northeast corner of King and Caroline streets, the current home of Hamilton Store Fixtures. That veteran company is moving to a new location.

The harbourfront building will be transformed into 75 condo units ranging between 500 and 1,200 square feet. The downtown project will see the front part of a historic building preserved as commercial and "brick and beam" offices with a 15-storey condo tower of 100 units rising behind.

Each project, Shaw said, has a different target demographic. The harbourfront building will focus on empty-nesters and people looking to commute to Toronto, while the King Street site will be aimed at young professionals, graduate students and others who prefer living in the core. That building will feature communal items such as meeting rooms and a rooftop patio space.

"We hope there will be a community there rather than just a rabbit's hutch of little units," Shaw said.

Units downtown will be priced in the range of $250,000 to $500,000.

No formal rezoning applications have been submitted to the city yet, Shaw said. From today he expects it will be two years before either building is ready for occupancy.

Shaw said that after the Pigott building project, he "got caught up" in Toronto business and let Hamilton slip from his radar — until two Montreal acquaintances called him about potential opportunities in Ontario.

"I suggested they look very closely at Hamilton and told them what an exciting place it was becoming," he said. "We found these sites and started negotiating, but after a couple of months these guys changed their minds and dropped out. By then I was emotionally committed.

"After that it was just a case of finding what kind of development would be possible there," he said. "Hamilton fell out of the limelight for a while, but has really come roaring back."

Glen Norton, the city's manager of urban renewal, welcomed the idea of buildings targeting different audiences. "They're both needed, we need all types of residential development," he said. "We have to give our citizens a range of choice of housing because of needs and interests change over time."

Norton said Shaw's plan for the King Street building includes stripping away the "ugly brown tin" that now covers it.

"There's a pretty nice brick building under all that tin," Norton said.

The market being targeted by that building, he added, will appreciate the city's proposed light rail transit line.

"Shaw went after this location because he wanted something close to the new LRT line," Norton said. "At that location you couldn't get any closer if you tried."

The proposed LRT system will run along King Street from the Queenston traffic circle to McMaster University. A spur line will run down James Street to the West Harbour.

Shaw is founder of the Canlight Group of Companies.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:12 PM

I always try to wonder how the city looks in the eyes of a visitor. As I drove along King Street this morning, I recognized how much of a blight this metal cladded building is on the streetscape. I only wish Hamilton's renaissance happened 20 years earlier when I was in my twenties, but it is welcomed and this building is going to make a huge difference.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 5:02 AM
Ham-burgher

You can see some of the original brick, in the notch at the back:
https://goo.gl/maps/N5azHAzJVYG2

Looks like it was originally orange-brown, but then painted a light colour at some point.

With the brick and windows restored this could turn out to be a fantastic change for King West.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 5:19 AM

Yeah I'm really excited to see what they have planned. 15 stories is a great height for that corner; it's going to be transformational having that old brick building facing the corner. It will also set some design standards for the lots opposite King.

Considering nobody really knows what the building actually looks like underneath all of that tin, I'd say this is quite exciting.

Last edited by davidcappi; Jul 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 4:21 PM

agree , that will be an awesome project, glad to see it peeled back to the original- nice hidden/preserved gem - and a great project. Also good to see a developer withsome history of delivering a conversion. Get right to it (versus some others - looking at you Connelly, Acclimation, Tivoli,....)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:06 PM

This is a rendering of the condo tower handed to me by the architect himself for 206 King Street West. The windows on the white portion of the tower are subject to change as the developer wrestles with going for a linear or scattered window arrangement.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
This is a rendering of the condo tower handed to me by the architect himself for 206 King Street West. The windows on the white portion of the tower are subject to change as the developer wrestles with going for a linear or scattered window arrangement.

All quiet on this one ?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
All quiet on this one ?
Dare I say I don't hate it...? If it's executed better than the Claridge/Andaz building in the Byward market of Ottawa, then it'll be a tiny victory for the Hammer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post

just finding all these stale-dated projects - no surprise cranes going up on us?

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 4:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Looks like Mother Nature has decided this project needs to get a move on.
(luckily nobody was hurt by this though...)

Pics courtesy of The Spec, their story about today's wind storm.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:34 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Doesn't look bad. Hope it gets decent cladding.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 4:32 PM

That looks really good. I wonder if the rental building behind will be forced to up its game in 2 years with this going up. And the corner lot across the street with the used car lot. There is a lot of opportunity at this corner.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 8:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Great design, love the scattered windows look. Looks like it'll include french balcony too.

Seems like they intend to chop half of the current building, which is fine as long they remove the metal facade and restore the red bricks.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Great design, love the scattered windows look. Looks like it'll include french balcony too.

Seems like they intend to chop half of the current building, which is fine as long they remove the metal facade and restore the red bricks.
That's really my only question about this project- the scale of the drawing seems off by quite a bit. It's a decent sized lot, but a 15 story tower AND the front office space seems like too much building for the amount of room that actually exists there. And it's pretty defined, since the space behind is a public alleyway- not sure what the rules are around that, but I imagine they didn't buy the alley, which extends from its Caroline entrance all the way to Bay Street.

Either the office space will be very shallow or the tower will be very skinny.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:30 AM

I definitely think they'll be knocking down the rear portion, though I expect the Design Review Panel & Council/whoever will ask/push for a full facade save along Caroline as well as King. I saw something in Toronto recently where half of a building was restored, while the other half was demolished except for the facade, and a new tower built up behind the existing brickwork. Something like that might work well here.

On the other hand, smaller office spaces for rent are actually what this city needs A LOT more of. There are tons of huge floor plate offices, but those looking in the 1300-2500sq foot range are struggling to find spaces. This might be what the developer is going for, by creating 2-3 smaller office spaces and leasing them quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton