HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I would be very surprised if a 1000' building were to be built here even with a booming economy. Things were booming here about 5 or years ago and very little in the way of tall buildings were developed and built. Lot's of 30-40 residentials and a few smaller office towers.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I would be very surprised if a 1000' building were to be built here even with a booming economy. Things were booming here about 5 or years ago and very little in the way of tall buildings were developed and built. Lot's of 30-40 residentials and a few smaller office towers.
Maybe, but what caused two of them to be built in 1990?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
well in that case, then chicago has only ever built one 400m skyscraper (sears tower) in its entire history.

it's an extremely rare roof height in the US outside of NYC.

heights that tall simply don't make much economic sense in the US outside of manhattan (and even then.....).

you'd need a healthy dose of ego to pull it off anywhere else.
Yes but Chicago has built one, with another started( yes the Spire which was later discontinued), and now the possibility of Tribune East. Although we cant include Trump Tower in this discussion because of its spire, Chicago has proved that it can. My choice for a city outside of Chicago and N.Y would be Los Angeles, probably due to its enormous size. Also how many 400m has N.Y built to roof.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Sure but 400 meters isn't what it used to be.

I know they don't make too much economic sense but as you said that's where ego comes into play. Tribune East in Chicago has a shot doesn't it? Why would the developers be trying to build it at that height if it wasn't economical? (Or rather a balance of ego and economics)
I take it you were not here for the very long and painful ride that was the Chicago Spire development.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:24 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I take it you were not here for the very long and painful ride that was the Chicago Spire development.
Tribune East is a more realistic height with more legit people behind it, hopefully a recession won't kill it either.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but what caused two of them to be built in 1990?
Banks which no longer exist. First International Bank was absorbed by Wells Fargo (Wells Fargo Plaza) and Texas Commerce Bank was absorbed by Chemical Bank which in turn was conglomerated into JP Morgan Chase (JP Morgan Chase Tower)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Tribune East is a more realistic height with more legit people behind it, hopefully a recession won't kill it either.
True, I have no idea who's backing the Tribune thing but the Spire was always a mess looking back. I mean you had an amateur developer with no history who was really just a finance guy and an architect who was well known for bankrupting his clients. Combine it with the great recession, it was never meant to be.

Not sure I agree that the tribune height is more realistic though. Only New York seems capable of building those insane real estate towers and right now that situation is imploding because they overbuilt and the pandemic.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jersey City.

I think its a very realistic possibility. Meets the OP's requirement of excluding NY and Chicago.

A mixed used, with residential functionality, mimicking the success of 99 Hudson once the stronger cycle comes onboard.

I'd say LA out of all the other U.S. cities bar Chicago or NY or JC.

Can't knock out Seattle either... given the great success there with residential and general influx of class-a office... its something to ponder.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:29 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Jersey City.

I think its a very realistic possibility. Meets the OP's requirement of excluding NY and Chicago.

A mixed used, with residential functionality, mimicking the success of 99 Hudson once the stronger cycle comes onboard.

I'd say LA out of all the other U.S. cities bar Chicago or NY or JC.

Can't knock out Seattle either... given the great success there with residential and general influx of class-a office... its something to ponder.

Sorry should have added JC, since it's basically an extension of New York

Quote:
Banks which no longer exist. First International Bank was absorbed by Wells Fargo (Wells Fargo Plaza) and Texas Commerce Bank was absorbed by Chemical Bank which in turn was conglomerated into JP Morgan Chase (JP Morgan Chase Tower)
Right, but who's to say another company can't do the same, Salesforce in SF and Comcast in Philly are good examples, despite not being 400 they are quite tall.

Quote:
True, I have no idea who's backing the Tribune thing but the Spire was always a mess looking back. I mean you had an amateur developer with no history who was really just a finance guy and an architect who was well known for bankrupting his clients. Combine it with the great recession, it was never meant to be.

Not sure I agree that the tribune height is more realistic though. Only New York seems capable of building those insane real estate towers and right now that situation is imploding because they overbuilt and the pandemic.
Golub & Co

https://golubandcompany.com

Yea NY is in a different league, but if it can build several can't Chicago at least build one? (Not counting Vista since it's not quite 400)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Are you saying you don't think Tribune will be built then?
I don't know what I think regarding that specific proposal.

I'm just saying that Chicago's track record with 400m (roof height) proposals in the past isn't all that great.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I don't know what I think regarding that specific proposal.

I'm just saying that Chicago's track record with 400m (roof height) proposals in the past isn't all that great.
Yea, it's hard to know, hopefully the universe aligns just right for it. And again, the 2008 recession was responsible for killing a lot of Chicago's supertalls.

I guess just because it's approved and Golub is an experienced firm I remain a little (cautiously) optimistic. I also try to remain optimistic that if that doesn't go through Chicago will see another building that size someday.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:18 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

No US city other than NYC or Chicago will be building a 1312'+ tower for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:27 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

I guess just because it's approved and Golub is an experienced firm I remain a little (cautiously) optimistic. I also try to remain optimistic that if that doesn't go through Chicago will see another building that size someday.
I sincerely hope they can pull it off too.

But I was born in 1976. I've literally been waiting my whole freaking life to see my beloved city construct another mega-tower like Sears, but every. single. time. one gets proposed, our hopes get dashed. Even after construction started, in the case of the spire.

Forgive me for being a bit jaded.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:52 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I sincerely hope they can pull it off too.

But I was born in 1976. I've literally been waiting my whole freaking life to see my beloved city construct another mega-tower like Sears, but every. single. time. one gets proposed, our hopes get dashed. Even after construction started, in the case of the spire.

Forgive me for being a bit jaded.
I don't blame you for being jaded, but I see it as more of a possibility in the future because while the Sears Tower is huge, it's not at all what it used to be, same way a 300 meter building seemed impossible for most places back in the 1970's but are now pretty commonplace.

It's nice that Chicago aims high though, even if it doesn't follow through with a lot of its proposals. This is actually true of most places anyway, think of all the never built projects in Dubai and East Asia, they shoot for the moon, usually miss but every now and then one happens. Hopefully Chicago gets lucky again.

New York probably has the best track record honestly... it's amazing how they follow through with so many supertall proposals.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Wasn't Tribune postponed until 2021/2022 if I recall?

Hopefully the market improves because if the Manhattan luxury market is any indication, the slow down (and in other metros with ultra-luxury), I'd imagine given the exclusive nature of Tribune, with its apartment and condo functionality... it would suck if its downsized.

Maybe on that development, its best if they really wait. Q4 2021 would be optimistic, but we also have this Fall coming up, and the uncertainty that awaits.

I'd hate to see a down sizing occur, so if 2021/2022 is not realistic, I wonder how long they would be willing to wait. Either that or change the functionality up/design modifications to not rely so much on that niche/exclusive market.

Or they could just take the risk, and build it at the end of 2021 in hopes that the market will be ripe when its finished in like 3-4 years.

For whatever reason, I've noticed Chicago developers are very risk mitigation heavy in thier decorum. Let's pray to the Universe that it doesn't go the way of the Chitown Spire.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:59 AM

Even if anyone was motivated to build that tall in Miami, the FAA would never allow it. Just getting the FAA to approve 1049 foot buildings took inter-government negotiations with the FAA and over the loud disapproval of airlines. So Miami is out.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:00 AM
DENNAB

Quote:

Hopefully the market improves because if the Manhattan luxury market is any indication, the slow down (and in other metros with ultra-luxury), I'd imagine given the exclusive nature of Tribune, with its apartment and condo functionality... it would suck if its downsized.

Maybe on that development, its best if they really wait. Q4 2021 would be optimistic, but we also have this Fall coming up, and the uncertainty that awaits.

I'd hate to see a down sizing occur, so if 2021/2022 is not realistic, I wonder how long they would be willing to wait. Either that or change the functionality up/design modifications to not rely so much on that niche/exclusive market.

Or they could just take the risk, and build it at the end of 2021 in hopes that the market will be ripe when its finished in like 3-4 years.
Correct, I think 2021/2022 was the timeframe we were given.

And yea, the design of that building is pretty amazing, I wouldn't be too upset if it got downsized to 1250 something but obviously its current height (or even topping Sears) would be way better.

I guess if that falls through the Thompson Center, if redeveloped could yield a really tall building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Even if anyone was motivated to build that tall in Miami, the FAA would never allow it. Just getting the FAA to approve 1049 foot buildings took inter-government negotiations with the FAA and over the loud disapproval of airlines. So Miami is out.
Airports and the FAA likely ruin the prospect of a 400+ meter building for a lot of US cities honestly. Miami never follows through with its supertalls though, let alone a 400+.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It was never intended to start construction until the redevelopment of the existing Tribune property was completed, so "postponed" isn't really the correct word to use.

As of the last public statements on the timeline from the developer, they were saying summer 2022 for construction start on the big tower. However, that was pre-covid, so who knows how that will impact the project's timeline/scope/viability.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:55 AM
Rundberg & I35

All it would take would be a billionaire or CEO with an ego.....so it could be any city really. Wouldn't surprise me to see a Texas native billionaire take a shot at building an 1836 ft tower (Texas Independence).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 4:47 PM

I don't foresee Philly breaking 400 meters, but there is a long term proposal part of the Schuykill Yards project that is a supertall at 334 meters. https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...l-pro.2174764/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions