HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:36 PM

New Salt Lake City women's homeless shelter almost ready despite wet spring

Ashley Imlay - Deseret News - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...et-spring.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Despite difficulties caused by a long-lasting and rainy spring, builders have almost finished the new downtown Salt Lake City women's homeless shelter...

Construction continues on the Geraldine E. King Women’s Resource Center, 131 E.700 South, in Salt Lake City on Friday, June 14, 2019. The wet spring has pushed back the center's opening. Photo By Laura Seitz, Deseret News

...The 60,000-square-foot Geraldine E. King Women's Resource Center will start housing up to 200 women experiencing homelessness by the end of July or beginning of August, according to the Department of Workforce Services, a partner in the projects. June 30 was the original target date for opening all three new homeless resource centers.

The modern, open space will offer supportive services including medical support, life-skills training, employment training and housing navigation, Cochrane said.

It will be operated by Volunteers of America, with lunches and dinners brought to the center's large dining space every day by Catholic Community Services.

Kathy Bray, president and CEO for Volunteers of America-Utah, said the most exciting aspect of the first center is that it will be women-only.

"I think the women are really going to like it and they're going to feel special. And that's part of the healing, and it's part of the empowerment that we're hoping to instill because life has been pretty tough for these women," she said...

Gail Miller Resource Center for men and women

...Meanwhile, the Gail Miller Resource Center for men and women at 242 W. Paramount Ave. is expected to welcome clients about two weeks after the women's center. The third new resource center, on 1000 West in South Salt Lake, is expected to be ready in September. The combined cost for all three shelters is $62 million, the Department of Workforce Services said.

The Utah Legislature appropriated $20 million to fund the construction. Prominent Utah businesswoman Gail Miller pledged to match dollar-for-dollar every donation up to $10 million to help fund the centers. Donations have also included $4 million from businessman Pat King for the women's shelter and $10 million from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for transitional housing.

Shelter the Homeless also continues to seek donations to fund the homeless resource centers. As of Monday, the nonprofit had raised more than $6 million out of its $10 million goal, Cochrane said...Read More @ https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...et-spring.html

The not-yet-finished Gail Miller Resource Center in Salt Lake City is pictured on Thursday, May 2, 2019. Officials announced Thursday they are naming the new homeless resource center after Gail Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/fil...c=6&a=e0717f4c

Last edited by delts145; Jun 15, 2019 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:17 PM

BuildingSaltLake.com - Latest details revealed for project that would add dozens of low-income rentals on S. State Street in Salt Lake City

Taylor Anderson Reports - June 18th - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/lat...-state-street/

...The latest renderings by Salt Lake City-based Method Studio and details provided by the Housing Authority detail what could become an affordable urban, mixed-use residential development that is currently rare in the city (and rarer in surrounding Salt Lake suburbs).

The proposed project would sit on the western border of Liberty Wells less than a block south of 1700 South. It will be near where the Ballpark neighborhood is on the cusp of residential and commercial development that will add hundreds more people to the neighborhood in the coming years, although the Capitol Homes project would far eclipse by size all others in the area...

The existing buildings on the site that for decades was a motel at 1749 S. State St., is set to become a majority-low-income housing project in Liberty Wells.

...The 93-unit project would include 11 units (12% of the project) that are affordable for someone making between 0-30% of a median income (AMI) for the Salt Lake City-Ogden area to afford without spending more than a third of his or her monthly pay. That’s a salary of up to $16,800 for someone single or up to $24,000 for a four-person family.

Another 51 units (56% of the project) would be affordable for those making 31-50% AMI, or up to $28,000 for a single person, and the remaining 31 units rented at market rate, according to the HASLC.

The four-story building would include space fronting State Street for four local businesses to lease, an opening that may prove difficult on the auto-centric road that’s operated largely as a highway...

Rendering of the Capitol Homes Apartments, a mixed-income, mixed-use development planned for 1749 S. State Street. Image courtesy Method Studio.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:40 PM
They all float down here

Too bad - the motel is actually more aesthetically pleasing than the cookie-cutter development that will replace it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Too bad - the motel is actually more aesthetically pleasing than the cookie-cutter development that will replace it.
I was thinking the same thing... at least the largest building of the motel.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:46 PM

I don't see anything special about the current Capitol Motel. Reminds me of something you would stay at on a road trip when Best Western or Motel 6 was full.

I think the positives of having more affordable housing far outweighs any minor aesthetic value of the building.

This is one of those cases where I'll say I'm not sure if ground floor retail is really necessary though. There's already so much vacant retail space on that stretch of State Street.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:30 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The capital motel is ghetto. I remember my dad and his friends use to go there to buy pot in the 80’s. A lot of other drugs were sold there as well.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
What an ugly scar in the mountain.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:55 PM
Engineer

Building permit finally issued for Moda Luxe on 200 E:

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Planning docs here in attachments:

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:49 AM
They all float down here

lmao it's not about the current state of the motel - it's that what's replacing it is, once again, more underwhelming, cookie-cutter development. I don't see why, just because the motel is trashy, we should be completely satisfied with a boring replacement. There's far more trashier buildings on State and at least the main building there has character. I would've loved for them to integrate it into the development.

The problem is that Salt Lake is demolishing all these minor buildings that have character for buildings that probably won't even last 50 years - let alone the length many of these older buildings are lasting.

Think of the initial State Street Plaza development. They tore down two character-rich buildings for a development that didn't even get off the ground.

Sad!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:39 AM

It doesn't seem worth getting into a fight about it, but you're kidding yourself if you think the Capitol Motel has any aesthetic value. I agree that we could do a better job at preserving some of our old architecture, but give me a break. There is NOTHING special about it. I would rather actually have affordable housing.

And sure, the buildings where 255 S. State will soon be going up were torn down for a project that didn't happen, but are you going to tell me that the development as currently planned would not be a great asset to the community? It even involves saving and renovating the old building that's behind it - an old building that does actually have character.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 8:20 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I’d like to preserve Durr Wienerschnitzel building on North Temple, just because there Aren’t many of those classic Wienerschnitzel‘s around anymore. Unfortunately there are so many crack fiend’s hanging around the place I don’t think they will keep it open much longer. I swear there’s a police officer in the parking lot of that place arresting somebody every time I drive by it. Does anybody know if they’re going to tear down the Gateway motel on North Temple? it seems like they have chain-link fence around it. I honestly wish that they would demolishe almost everything on North Temple between I15 and Redwood Road. The only three things I would care to see stay are wonder bread, red iguana and Wienerschnitzel... oh and the fairgrounds buildings along north temple.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:46 AM

Hey, Somebody go rescue that hanging plant in the lower right corner of the structure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post

I was looking at this photo on the downtown rising site this morning. Excited for my hometown and the many projects starting up now and within the next year. One thing that struck me about this photo is how big the Salt Lake City blocks really are in perspective when compared to the typical downtown. This visually expansive section pictured is basically only four blocks from north to south, five if we wanted to count the other side of the COB. Anyway, here's to continuing to look for ways to make Salt Lake's inner blocks cutup, attractive, vibrant and very interesting. I will always say that Salt Lake has been given a great gift for the creative to work with when it comes to it's wide streets and giant blocks.

Maybe this is kind of a benign question, but I'm very curious. We're putting a lot of grayish hues into the palette of the skyline, which is fine. The grays and the blue/gray hues are attractive. Could you all put your amateur (some of you professional) designer caps on for a moment. I'm just wondering if in addition to most everyone's wish of a few sleek new tallest's scattered around the skyline, are there any color palettes that someone thinks should be added to the mix? Kind of like the need to add tops on towers that aren't always flat. I noticed for example how the rose color of the WTC and Chase Towers is a nice variation in the developing crowd. Would rose be too eighties, or is there anything else we're missing??

Last edited by delts145; Jun 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:55 PM

I was in town for the weekend and took a photo of drilling at the Carl's Junior site. Bad photo, but if you look carefully you can see them drilling.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:59 PM

9th south from State Street to Liberty Park

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 8:05 PM

Central 9th update

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:10 PM

How long will it take before we see Tower 8 start rising? I'm still very new to this kind of stuff so I dont know the timelines of everything

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:16 AM

I'm guessing maybe towards the end of summer, but I'm also not very knowledgeable on timelines.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:57 AM

Very cool pics Orlando! Thanks a lot for the great update. Really liking how 9th is coming along. Also hoping 300 West will develop quickly over these next 10 years

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
How long will it take before we see Tower 8 start rising? I'm still very new to this kind of stuff so I dont know the timelines of everything
We will probably see the crane go up towards the end of July.

Liberty Sky, if it breaks ground soon, should see a crane in September. The CCH should be late December or January. 255 is in flux as they want to start soon so it is possible that the first crane will be up by January and the 2nd by April or May of 2020.

We will also see cranes up for the Paperbox project in late September, Moda project on 2nd East in October, and Phase 1 of The West Quarter (Block 67) in November.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West