HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
[...]

I think that early on Hammel & Denker ran the United States Hotel on Main Street for Louis Mesmer...
My notes have it that the partnership of Henry Hammel and Andrew H. Denker were lessors of the U.S. Hotel in 1874, and, ca. late 70s, owned the future site of the Wilcox Block at 2nd and Spring, which indeed they sold, via E.F. Spence, to Wilcox.

For Henry Hammel: ca. 1828-1834, born in Hesse; 1850, came to the U.S.; April 19, 1856, he and partner Marcus Flashner purchased the Bella Union; April 18, 1857, published (Los Angeles Star): “Mr. H. Hammel having disposed of his interest in the Bella Union Hotel, and being about to leave this part of the State, [those indebted are requested to pay up]”; Hammel evidently sold out said interest to J.B. Winston; December 31, 1859, officer of the new Teutonia-Concordia; 1860, present in L.A. as a cook at the Bella Union with savings of $2,000 and real estate valued at $4,000; ca. 1862-1863, managing (and residing at) the Bella Union Hotel, his co-manager being John King; January 3, 1863, published (Los Angeles Star): daughter born on December 31, 1862, in L.A.; November 14, 1863, published (Los Angeles Star): chosen as trial juror; April 23, 1864, published (Los Angeles Star): on the Grand Jury; 1865, to Kern County; 1869, returned to L.A.; February 1, 1869, in partnership with Henry Bremerman, leased the U.S. Hotel from Louis Mesmer; 1870, present in L.A. as hotel keeper with savings of $2,000; then as above for Hammel & Denker; September 3, 1890, died, at which time the family residence was at 7th and Grand.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Re: Martin Pal's post above. That's Zarkov's rocket ship from "Flash Gordon" (1936). So this must have been a promo [?] for the movie? In which case the words are probably "Greetings from Mars."
Cheers,
Earl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
I submit this is NOT from the Olympics although it may have been at the LA Colosseum. Those are football yard markers. Bet this was a USC homecoming parade! Maybe the images were actually inspired or connected with the '36 Flash!

No wonder I've never seen this photo before connected with the 1932 Olympics!

What you both say makes perfect sense now. Also, the fact that they're referring to a "Homecoming" game. Since it was labeled 1932, I guess I thought it was just referring to a trip to Mars or something. I went back to that website, which is selling this and similar as stock footage and photos and don't see a way to correct their page headings of this being related to the Olympics.

(I wonder if someone actually bought their footage to use in an Olympics documentary could at least get their money back if they discovered that info is false?)

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys View Post
That would be Beal's Cut in Newhall near the Newhall pass. Yeah, the plaques have been missing for some years. There's some interesting history around that area.

Andys
Thanks Andys for the update....most appreciated. I was last up there over 30 years ago. Memories.!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
I was merely trying to clarify which ships were which in the movie series.

The ship being towed in the Colosseum is Dr. Zarkov's ship, which took the good Doctor, Flash, and Dale to the planet Mongo.

The ship without the "ammunition belt" detail around its midsection belongs to Ming the Merciless and/or his minions.
E, don't discard your secret decoder just yet. It may come in handy to decipher some of the most recent spate of random images. Hard to distinguish the ships since that mishap with one of Ming's experimental ray guns. Next time I will wear approved safety apparel. I promise.

The Flash/Buster Crabbe connection or inspiration is unmistakable. Tangentially, not only did Buster attend 'SC, but "bronzed" in '28 and took home the gold in '32, both for swimming. He was doubtlessly familiar with this stadium, probably on many levels. For all we know, the rocket float may have been related to his campus fraternity. One would "imagine", as the float's signage suggests, Buster had access to as many strings as those used to suspend the model for some of the "realistic" action shots used in the series. Similar to the moveable Kong head and torso, this could have easily been part of a traveling ad campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
No wonder I've never seen this photo before connected with the 1932 Olympics!

M, I suppose it is easy for anyone to recognize the crowded stadium equipped with both a well marked track and field, and conclude this was the '32 Olympics. That said, toward the end of the footage is a football goal post. Although exposure to Ming's ray gun may have blunted my memory, I don't think football was an Olympic sport in '32 and the pictured goal was likely removed for the games. The stadium has remained remarkably well preserved over the years, so that even today, it could be an easy stand-in for '32. They mystery date for the homecoming is probably found by perusing the campus newspaper, or by using Earl's decoder.

1932 Buster Crabbe, George Kojac, Ray Ruddy and Johnny Weissmuller
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics42/00055917.jpg

1944 - Buster paying a traffic fine. (Probably for failing to possess valid registration for his rocket ship!)
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics33/00051398.jpg

Speaking of reaching escape velocity.

Oh My!

Quote:
On April 5, Lake was tagged driving 45 mph in a 25-mile zone. She was given the option to pay the $50 fine or serve 10 days in jail, in addition to having her license suspended for 20 days. Lake was among 300 people caught during a police campaign to catch traffic offenders.
1944 - Veronica Lake
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00106/00106294.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; May 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Although exposure to Ming's ray gun may have blunted my memory, I don't think football was an Olympic sport in '32.

And still isn't!

Photo of a deleted scene from A Christmas Story!

That's Ralphie with his "official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time!”

There's no existing footage of that, but you can read the entire scene HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Sam Jones, the actor who played Flash, lived in my bungalow on Hancock Ave before I did. (actually, there was a tenant in-between, a bodybuilder that might have been a hustler)

Many times I would have people knock on my door looking for one or the other.

...and then?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Thanks Andys for the update....most appreciated. I was last up there over 30 years ago. Memories.!
30 years is a long time; suburbia has grown. Lots of changes! I've lived in Canyon Country for 39 years; still remember the local McD's having a hitching post out back. For an interesting historical collection, go to: http://www.scvhistory.com/

Andys

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:30 PM

I don't think I've shown Julius Shulman pictures of apartments for a while, so here's The Centinela. Images are from "Job 3593: Albert Greenfield, The Centinela, 1963".

Up the ramp, you'll find this pool.

Some of the apartments had direct access to the pool.

I originally thought this animal might be a goat, until I realized that a white patch on the back of the dog's neck was making me misread the shape of its head!

All from Getty Research Institute

The Centinela is still standing at 2643 Centinela Avenue, Santa Monica, and even the original lettering appears to be intact.

GSV

The Centinela is made up of two similar (identical?) blocks separated by the pool and garden. The rear block is slightly higher than the one at the front.

Google Maps

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think football was an Olympic sport in '32
Football was a demonstration sport at the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles:

The above images are all from the 1932 Summer Olympics Official Report (part 4), available at the LA84 Foundation.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Football was a demonstration sport at the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles:

The above images are all from the 1932 Summer Olympics Official Report (part 4), available at the LA84 Foundation.
Thanks for the fascinating link. There are detailed descriptions of training venues at many of the local High Schools and local Athletic Clubs. The women at the Chapman Park Hotel were served "distilled" water. Not surprisingly the community went all out inviting athletes to Wrigley Field to watch baseball and the Hollywood Bowl for a concert. There were a number of Olympic's related dinners at the Biltmore and other Hotels.

Although I suspected that football may have been "demonstrated" as had baseball, for some reason I did not associate it with the '32 Olympics. Strangely, Pop Warner provides tickets to Jim Thorpe in the Thorpe '51 biopic, but Warner's connection with the event was never clear. At least as far as football, his role is now clarified.

Returning to the original subject, when Zarkov's Rocket appeared at the Coliseum. You you have established the possibility that a picture of the arena with football hallmarks does not automatically eliminate it as being taken around August 8, 1932 the date of the demonstration game. However, there are reasons why the photo is probably from a later date and time, not the least of which is the 1936 release date of the FG serial and the reference to "Homecoming" as part of the float. Interesting to note that the image you provided of Olympic Football is at night, while the flotilla appears to be daylight. Admittedly, it could have been a late kickoff before sunset.

The Trojans were co-national champs in '32. The X Olympiad ran in July and August. The football season did not start until September 24 that year. Homecoming would have occurred later. FWIW, here is some color footage of the 'SC Campus in the '30s. It includes some glimpses of the Shrine Auditorium. http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...q.jpg~original

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:04 AM

Garages on W. 6th St.

Quote:

Tonight's 'mystery' location (somewhere along 6th street)

http://www.josephbellows.com/artists/philip-melnick/#14

Philip Melnick

6th St., Los Angeles CA, 1975

vintage gelatin silver print

11 x 14 inches
__

Does anyone recognize these tiny garages? (I imagine they're long gone)
I remember seeing these on 6th Street as a kid in the 1950s. They were garages belonging to probably a 4-plex and were on the north side of 6th somewhere between Wilton and Manhattan Place. Google Street View shows them as gone.
_______

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:20 AM

American Football
Ebay

Can anyone identify these familiar locations?

Silverlake area?

October 1947 (Note lengthy stairwell/sidewalk at far left and large, light colored structure, left of center.)
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c39138bb44d5d100_large

Terraplane on Micheltorena St., August 1932

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/33176

Micheltorena from Sunset, August 1932
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll44/id/90207

Whitley Heights?

November 1947
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/bc14394dbc89e38c_large

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 27, 2017 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS1911 View Post
I remember seeing these on 6th Street as a kid in the 1950s. They were garages belonging to probably a 4-plex and were on the north side of 6th somewhere between Wilton and Manhattan Place. Google Street View shows them as gone.
Thanks WS1911. I was getting tired of driving the google-mobile up and down 6th street.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
[SIZE="4"]Some history of the BJ Company.....The man whose initials remain part of the company name was Byron Jackson, a pioneer-inventor who, in 1872, founded the Byron Jackson Company. The firm designed and manufactured pumps and other equipment for miners and farmers, including the Jackson Feeder, a major labor-saving device.
I just happened upon this snapshot tonight on ebay.

April 1931_____Vernon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PHOT...MAAOSwurZZH1uE

Does anyone know where in Vernon this plant of the Byron Jackson Co. was located?
__

CBD's info (at the top of this post) was in a reply to a post about a Bee Jay Machine.
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=20810

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 27, 2017 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:45 AM

I just found another one.

California-Oregon Papers Mills, Vernon CA 1931

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-PHOTOGRA...sAAOSwJH1ZH2lJ

__

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:

April 1931_____Vernon

Does anyone know where in Vernon this plant of the Byron Jackson Co. was located?
__

CBD's info (at the top of this post) was in a reply to a post about a Bee Jay Machine.
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=20810
Can't address Vernon; but adding some even earlier history to CBD's post (I thought the firm might have had an earlier presence in So Cal; but no): "Byron Jackson, the youngest of a family of eight, was born in Norwalk, OH in 1841. At the age of 19, Byron and his family emigrated to the Sacramento Valley portion of California [maybe prompted by the onset of the Civil War?]. Byron opened a shop in the Woodland in 1872. The business was moved to San Francisco, CA in 1879 at 625 West Sixth Street. Shortly after, a sales office was opened on Market Street." http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=2168

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 5:03 AM

Thanks for the additional information odinthor. I appreciate the help.

Here's one more for tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1935-Los-A...UAAOSwsXFZI3nt

and the writing on the back.

It appears to say......

West Adams - Orange Bl #360
Bank of America NT & SA
Circa 1935 - 37

but West Adams doesn't intersect with Orange (now Wilshire)

so there's that.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 27, 2017 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:16 PM

Well, ER, W Adams does intersect with Orange Drive.... The Orange you are thinking of was Orange Street, which, yes, did become the downtown extension of Wilshire (in 1924).

I believe what it says on the back is "West Adams-Orange Br[anch] #360--this was at 5133 W Adams, nwc Orange, which seems to be gone.... Looks like before it was demo'ed it was the House of Carpets (late '50s), then a branch of Golden State Life Insurance ('60s--its "West Los Angeles Office").

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 27, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS1911 View Post

I couldn't see any likely buildings to match e_r's picture on Historic Aerials, so I thought I'd drive that section of W 6th Street with the Googlemobile. Along the way, I found this interesting building which I believe is new to the thread. Assuming that the numbering hasn't changed, 4001 W 6th Street was built by Safeway Stores Inc in 1941. There's a 1967 signage BP for a restaurant whose owner is listed as Mr Pocket Billiards. More recently it's been the Story karaoke bar (below, possibly after it closed), and now the Hourglass, complete with very dark paintwork which doesn't suit the building as well.

GSV

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:

April 1931_____Vernon

The 1932 CD lists the Byron Jackson Co at 2150 E Slauson Avenue. The earliest aerial view available is 1952.

Historic Aerials

There were a few changes to the layout between 1952 and 1972, but it's remained fairly constant since then. The view below is looking south. If I've got the right location, I think it's most likely that e_r's picture shows the top-left corner (bottom-right of the image above) before the full-length building was added along Laura Avenue at the back. The angles of the sloped roof of the lower part of the building seem to match, and the 1952 image appears to show the larger building with a similar design.

Google Maps

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:59 PM

How annoying !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I don't think I've shown Julius Shulman pictures of apartments for a while, so here's The Centinela. Images are from "Job 3593: Albert Greenfield, The Centinela, 1963".

How annoying to have cars going by - night and day - just below your rooms. In addition the garage looks very big and motors roar when climbing the ramp. During the early 1960s cars were still sacred stuff, no one would think this was disturbing.
Another thing : "centinela" means "watchman" in Spanish. Bad joke for a spanish guy above this entrance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos