HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I drove by McPherson today, I hadn't really noticed the school before and was thinking it was a great spot to be redeveloped. Then I got home and saw this.
Most of the schools sit are fairly large pieces of land, and all could be ripe for redevelopment. I'm going to add all the schools mentioned in the report to my map for reference.

The report mentions replacing Holy Heart. Is the new West End high school the replacement for Holy Heart, or is there going to be two new high schools?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 5:45 PM

I think there will be two. I'm thinking the new Holy Heart will go on the Grace Hospital site.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 11:31 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Indeed, with those schools shutting down, there will be some excellent chances for redevelopment in St. John's. I think the next few years will present an excellent time to be building in the city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 3:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I wonder if some of the schools might be converted into something else, or if they will just be demolished instead.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Most of the schools sit are fairly large pieces of land, and all could be ripe for redevelopment. I'm going to add all the schools mentioned in the report to my map for reference.

The report mentions replacing Holy Heart. Is the new West End high school the replacement for Holy Heart, or is there going to be two new high schools?
I have been enjoying the many posts identifying potential areas for development and it is quite obvious that there are indeed many good spots available. One that has interested me since the days when I went there to watch my sons play soccer is the whole area of Bishops, Booth, and Fieldien Gardens. You could develop a whole neighborhood of mixed used housing with some fabulous views.

There are a number of school sites that present interesting possibilities, I J Samson and McPherson to name two. It would be good if the existing buildings could be adapted for reuse but that would depend on the economics.

I don't agree with developing existing open space such as softball or soccer fields, those type of amenities can enhance neighborhoods.

It is pretty obvious that there is enough open/undeveloped space west of the Delta to build several large towers as big or bigger than the Fortis proposal. Unfortunately, the people with the money don't seem to think so.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 1:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

All the available land from the school sites ideally should be redeveloped as highrise (10 storeys or reasonable density) buildings, since there is a limited amount of available land. I know highrise is not a favourable word in St. John's, but all the claims of traffic problems etc. are utter nonsense, as this occurs in other cities without problems. In fact, absolute high density reduces vehicular traffic by inducing more pedestrian traffic.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 30, 2010 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
All the available land from the school sites ideally should be redeveloped as highrise (10 storey or more) buildings, since there is a limited amount of available land. I know highrise is not a favourable word in St. John's, but all the claims of traffic problems etc. are absolute nonsense, as this occurs in other cities without problems. In fact, absolute high density reduces vehicular traffic by inducing more pedestrian traffic.
Agreed. I really noticed this during a conference I attended in Halifax at Dalhousie. Spring Garden Road, which is essentially in the "heritage" area of downtown Halifax, is lined with mid/high rise apartment buildings and condos. The volume of traffic on that street is quite low, I'd say less cars than on any downtown St. John's street. At the same time, pedestrian traffic on the streets themselves is very high, a very walkable neighborhood.

At the same time though, I confide in my car when moving around St. John's because of the poor drivers. I'd rather be hit by a car while in a car than be hit in a cross-walk. In contrast, the people in Halifax are much better drivers than here, they actually stop at cross-walks. It makes for a much more comfortable walking experience

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
At the same time though, I confide in my car when moving around St. John's because of the poor drivers. I'd rather be hit by a car while in a car than be hit in a cross-walk. In contrast, the people in Halifax are much better drivers than here, they actually stop at cross-walks. It makes for a much more comfortable walking experience
I don't no. My aunt was in Halifax for 5 days last year and there were 4 people knocked down crossing streets while she was there. She couldn't believe how people there wouldn't stop at cross walks. I haven't spent enough time in Halifax myself to know if this is really the case or not though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 5:41 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

More people are killed in vehicles than as pedestrians, I think it is only around 10% compared with vehicle accidents. People have to learn how to make room for both; speed bumps, wider sidewalks, crosswalks with lights etc. on major streets.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 PM

There's been a fire at the Fortis Building parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 2:43 AM

Quote:
There's been a fire at the Fortis Building parking garage.
Source? It's probably extinguished now, is it?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:07 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I guess the fire was of little consequence then?

Re: The approved in principle 6 storey condo development approved on Tiffany Lane, referred to in an above post:

Quote:
Regarding Item #2, (Proposed Six (6) Storey Condominium Building, 41 Tiffany Lane), it was moved by Councillor Hann; seconded by Councillor Hickman: That the Committee’s recommendation of Approval- in-Principle subject to the conditions outlined, be approved.

Discussion ensued during which Councillor Hanlon noted that area residents have concerns about the proposed development and therefore she would like to see a public awareness meeting held prior to granting approval. Councillor O’Leary agreed, noting that a similar application was put forward in 2005 and it would only be right to engage the public.

the proposed development is a permitted use that is in compliance with all requirements of the A2 zone and does not require public notification or an LUAR.

The main motion to Approve-in-Principle the proposed development subject to the conditions outlined, being put was carried with Councillor Hanlon dissenting.
His Worship the Mayor indicated that a public awareness meeting can still be arranged.

http://www.stjohns.ca/upload/minutes...larMinutes.pdf

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:59 AM

Hope we see a picture.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:17 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Hope they build a building too.

More on amalgamation:
Quote:
An updated report on the amalgamation of St. John's, Mount Pearl and the urban portion of Paradise will be in the hands of St. John's City Council sometime in January. Mayor Dennis O'Keefe says the city commissioned the $30,000 study to update a report conducted five years ago. O'Keefe says amalgamation is a big part of the capital city's future plans and the document will provide them with all sorts of information, including the economics of amalgamation. He says it will shed light on what would happen with taxation, property assessments and making the area more competitive with other cities and towns within Atlantic Canada and nationally. O'Keefe believes amalgamation is inevitable and, while some support it in St. John's, there are also people in favour of it in Mount Pearl and Paradise
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...0887&popular=1

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:28 AM

^ $30,000 study no wonder they're in the hole.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:46 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think this is the proposed building at Kenny's Pond:

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalwdWhV5Hk

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:09 AM

How did you ever find that?

Looks like a pretty good condo, I'd rather something more modern looking but I still think it's better then a lot we see here.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:57 PM

Wow. Is it 1980?
I do like the building though. I'd like to see a whole bunch of them go up in that area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
Wow. Is it 1980?
I do like the building though. I'd like to see a whole bunch of them go up in that area.
I was thinking the same thing, the video seems like it's ancient but it's not.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 3:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
How did you ever find that?

Looks like a pretty good condo, I'd rather something more modern looking but I still think it's better then a lot we see here.
I came across it before, but I think it is for the old proposal, the new one may have changed (not sure). Anyway, IMO that is a very good design, not dated, and would no doubt be very exclusive. It would be competitive in any upscale area of a large Canadian city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's