HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:53 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
No one comes to work here anymore.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:15 PM
A gruff individual.

262 views and not a single response? Calls for a bump!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 12:02 PM
Red October standing by

great shots, soundtrack and tour. what was this? i'm looking forward to getting back to Asheville.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 1:31 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
great shots, soundtrack and tour. what was this? i'm looking forward to getting back to Asheville.

-
Why not try to to guess? There are a couple of good clues pictured...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am a typical

I have a room full of fan corpses, too. Damn things are built like shit, of which I see you also included photos!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 1:44 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I have a room full of fan corpses, too. Damn things are built like shit, of which I see you also included photos!
Why yes, yes I did in fact.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:51 PM
Community Guy

so very cool

urban exploration needs to pick it up

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 8:24 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Nice. Looks like that office has taken a long weekend off.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 10:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

looks like asbestos town (which i understand and love..the exposed insulation wall wasn't asbestos).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 11:47 PM
Fourth and Main

I think this property is a church storage building? I didn't know the original house was built-around by the construction workers in the 1920's. The Folk-Victorian house roof in the middle is an amazing find! I would love to know more about the original home. Again, an amazing find!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 2:15 AM
Bah!

Cool tour!
Looks like my house at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 3:50 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I think this property is a church storage building? I didn't know the original house was built-around by the construction workers in the 1920's. The Folk-Victorian house roof in the middle is an amazing find! I would love to know more about the original home. Again, an amazing find!
That's actually the roof of a church that dates to 1847, and it's all that remains of that building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 9:33 PM
The City

Wow, talk about entropy..

What kind of business was this and when did it close down?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 11:36 PM
Honored Member

I'm guessing it's commercial laundry.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 3:58 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
I'm guessing it's commercial laundry.
Yep. Did you guess from looking at the pictures or did you read it on the other thread where I posted a link to these pictures?

To anyone who was interested, I believe it closed sometime in the early 90's. Not sure though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 11:28 PM

I've missed your tours of Asheville. Glad to see you got out of your funk and picked the camera back up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:28 AM
Uncle Grandpa

I felt like such a voyeur watching that for some reason. In a bigger city that place would have been picked clean. Was there still copper to be found? I noticed that one light bulb was still lit. How was that possible?

Probably the coolest photo thread I have seen here in my 5 years at SSP. The "soundtrack" made it all the better.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:31 AM
Uncle Grandpa

BTW, I just saw your location. Not too far from the setting of the greatest film ever. Monrovia Mall= Dawn of the Dead.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:41 AM

Neat! Love Asheville!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 3:33 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I felt like such a voyeur watching that for some reason. In a bigger city that place would have been picked clean. Was there still copper to be found? I noticed that one light bulb was still lit. How was that possible?

Probably the coolest photo thread I have seen here in my 5 years at SSP. The "soundtrack" made it all the better.
There were several bulbs lit, but that's only because the church that owns the building has to keep the power on. They go in every day to pump water into the sprinkler system in case of a fire, and that's how I and my friend (who was pictured taking a picture of me) got in. The caretaker told us that aside from that and some storage, they leave the building to fall as it may. They have problems now and then with the homeless getting in -- which would not be a problem except that they start fires -- and with people breaking in to have sex. That latter included a large group of men, and I can rather see the appeal -- nothing gets me randy quite like the smell of mildew and the knowledge that I'm breathing in millions of black mold spores with every inhalation.

And is it Monrovia Mall or Monroeville Mall? I want to be accurate when telling how far away I am from the zombie apocalypse. I've been doing that all year -- putting down how far away I am from something or other. In January, it was Times Square in New York. In February it was the site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago. This month... zombies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos