HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ wow Marothisu you are the Spyguy of building permit data. I have also read elsewhere that real estate investors are going all in on the Bloomington Trail.
Hah, it's good stuff, thanks. Luckily I have a map so it makes everything easier, but yeah there's been a number of new construction building permits not far from the trail. Not like a BOOM but yeah. The good thing is that between Kedzie and California, and north of North Ave, a number of the permits appear to be on vacant lots so there's infill. I know the 24 unit building above is on the corner of Whipple & Armitage, which used to be a church and was torn down leaving a big empty lot there. Now it should be filled in. Good news

Quote:
In other news the Wild Hare club won its lawsuit against the city allowing it to have live bands. When Ald Smith and the Lincoln Park Nimbys lose I always get a chuckle out of it.
I read that yesterday on DNA Info and got extremely angry at one of the NIMBY's comments on them allowing this. This woman belongs in the burbs in a giant subdivision with nothing to do.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...c-lincoln-park
Quote:
"I'm very disappointed. The neighborhood is going to take a turn now," said Carol Cloud, who lives around the corner from the Wild Hare at 2610 N. Halsted St. "It's a destination venue, a hip hop venue."

Cloud said she feared the venue would bring a rowdy element to the neighborhood and even extend the wave of crime in Lakeview south to Lincoln Park.

"We are going to have 260 people added to the mix who come by my home and continue partying," she said.
First of all, a hip hop venue? No, it's reggae and there's a fucking difference. I went to Wild Hare when it re-opened in this location last year and it was totally fine. It was good too and they have beer you will not really find anywhere else - like Carib or Tusker.

Secondly and more importantly though, I am pretty sure Wild Hare existed in Lakeview/Wrigleyville for what, 20+ years? Yeah...Anyway it's great they finally got their live music license. I was waiting for the day.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Im not sure the problem is the amount of Aldermen, but instead a combination of gerrymandering and old school politics. Why the system isn't set up to align with community districts is beyond all reasonable comprehension.
I believe it is. Chicagoans have a closer relationship to their elected officials than other large cities, with 1 alderman per ~60,000 residents in each ward. This has quite a few benefits, but it also leads to the micro-management of development issues and panderhacking. Look at the Wild Hare incident, it really was just a few NIMBYs that Ald. Smith was pandering to. Perhaps I have the wrong belief, but I feel larger wards would lead to less of this micromanagement/pandering in regards to business licenses and zoning changes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Myopic and idiotic,from the very organization that claims to think in terms of millenia and not moments.A slap in the face to the local community and the people whose ancestors built the church.

Reckless and contemptible.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Why would there not be any development along the Bloomingdale Trail cooridor? I'm really curious. It seems to me that this would be a huge amenity for these neighborhoods and that it would attract a lot of development. Especially seeing as how the entire trail has really good transit access.
Sarcasm. The Bloomingdale Trail is a spear of gentrification pointed right toward West Humboldt Park and Hermosa.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 7:40 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Sarcasm. The Bloomingdale Trail is a spear of gentrification pointed right toward West Humboldt Park and Hermosa.
I'm sure it is. My problem (this of course being a bit selfish) is that gentrification in those areas may slow down gentrification in Pilsen, an area that I really want to see "pop" so to speak.

By the way, what ever happened to that highrise project proposed just west of the old South Water Market (the one just west of University Village and just north of Pilsen). I'm guessing, like many other large south side projects, it's sitting there waiting for any hopes of getting financed?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 10:29 PM
TL;DR

I've been looking at apartments in Pilsen for awhile now... so the low(er) rents are fine by me, at least for the next few years. It's closer in absolute terms to the Loop and already has retail vibrancy, which won't happen in West Humboldt for years.

Also, don't forget about the Fisk site. That is due to be redeveloped in the coming years and will be a major change in the area.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Yo. Mr Downtown.
Do you mind if I gleep a copy of this pic to use as wallpaper?

I've been using an old HABS/HAER photo of three Chicago vernacular apt buildings that were torn down to build the West Town Shopping center but I need a change of view.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 12:42 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Yo. Mr Downtown.
Do you mind if I gleep a copy of this pic to use as wallpaper?
Not at all. The photo excursion led to a rather one-sided fight between my face and South Wabash Avenue. A deep, deep pothole flipped me ass over handlebars. After the bleeding mostly stopped and the shock subsided, I decided, well, I'm not going to hurt any worse if I go around under the L tracks and get the picture I came here for.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:16 AM

"Great artists suffer for the people." -Marvin Gaye

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:57 AM

Does anyone know the fate of the exterior limestone facade stones? (icluding the window tracery),much as I despise the fate of the church,it would be an anathema if much of the hewn masonry were to end up in landfill.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimestoneCowboy View Post
Does anyone know the fate of the exterior limestone facade stones? (icluding the window tracery),much as I despise the fate of the church,it would be an anathema if much of the hewn masonry were to end up in landfill.
I don't believe all of the demolition materials like this can legally go into landfill. On many demolition projects I've seen most of the masonry stacked up and resold.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I don't believe all of the demolition materials like this can legally go into landfill. On many demolition projects I've seen most of the masonry stacked up and resold.
Hopefully so,it may be possible to use some of the rusticated quoins into the new church building if they so wish,no doubt some pieces of masonry will find their way into a salvage/stock yard- though it would be unlikely for an owner of such an establishment to take in rose window tracery,as it would not be something sold so readily.

You would be surprised at what ends up in a skip/dumpster in a restoration,alas.

And thank you for your response.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:41 PM

Chestnut & franklin

Fences up @ Chestnut & Franklin (next to MK).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPendleton View Post
Fences up @ Chestnut & Franklin (next to MK).
What will it be?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:57 PM

23 Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
What will it be?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51495398,d.aWc

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPendleton View Post
Nice, more infill!

That area definitely has some potential and there's some good/decent food over there too. A block from the Brown Line is cool definitely. There's a nice lounge (Parliament) that just opened up near there the other week in the former Griffin Lounge space. Also the (shitty) club that Justin Bieber was caught drinking underage at is right near there.

I wonder how many stories it will be..3? 4? Also, 23 units and 21 spaces? I mean, for being so close to public transit it seems like that should be less. I hope these units won't be cheap either. It would be nice to see some more luxury (or close to it) in that area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:08 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Nice, more infill!

That area definitely has some potential and there's some good/decent food over there too. A block from the Brown Line is cool definitely. There's a nice lounge (Parliament) that just opened up near there the other week in the former Griffin Lounge space. Also the (shitty) club that Justin Bieber was caught drinking underage at is right near there.

I wonder how many stories it will be..3? 4? Also, 23 units and 21 spaces? I mean, for being so close to public transit it seems like that should be less. I hope these units won't be cheap either. It would be nice to see some more luxury (or close to it) in that area.
I want it to be super-cheap flats so there can be cute hipster kids all over the place and cheap beer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
I want it to be super-cheap flats so there can be cute hipster kids all over the place and cheap beer.
I guess there's a point. If the hipster dynamic is there, then perhaps others will want to come and demand more infill

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

The parking is unfortunate, but makes sense from a developer point of view. It's not the best retail location and nobody wants to live on the first floor in that neighborhood, so parking is really the only feasible use for the first floor. It also avoids construction of a basement, which is a big cost savings.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
I have to imagine that an apartment building between river north and gold coast will command high rents even if it is close to the Francis Park row homes and on the wrong side of Chicago Avenue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development