HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
Funny how often a $400 or $500 million buy-in requires one billionaire.

When so much is riding on that one billionaire, strong local leadership doesn't let him stray...
The buy-in was more like $200 million, but my point is that relying on one person is a worse idea then say, 10 people with less wealth. 1 or 2 people back out, the others can keep the deal going.

As for trying to pin this on local leadership? Local leadership was more than on board. Nothing more they could have done than literally front the money with public tax dollars. But I'm sure you'd support that, right?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
The buy-in was more like $200 million, but my point is that relying on one person is a worse idea then say, 10 people with less wealth. 1 or 2 people back out, the others can keep the deal going.

As for trying to pin this on local leadership? Local leadership was more than on board. Nothing more they could have done than literally front the money with public tax dollars. But I'm sure you'd support that, right?
Yep... they were so "on board," it may be gone forever! Great work there by the home team!

If you think the all-in costs were only $200 million, ok.

Again, I hope it gets figured out. (Calling Kevin Johnson...)

And if you want to give local leadership a pass for letting this monumental, year's-long effort and accomplishment slip away, knock yourself out...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:22 PM

looks like the crane is up for the new court house

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Yep... they were so "on board," it may be gone forever! Great work there by the home team!

If you think the all-in costs were only $200 million, ok.

Again, I hope it gets figured out. (Calling Kevin Johnson...)

And if you want to give local leadership a pass for letting this monumental, year's-long effort and accomplishment slip away, knock yourself out...
The whole stadium situation is predicated on the MLS team and the sole reason this has all disappeared is because of one man- Ron Burkle. It has nothing to do with local leadership. They're not the billionaires with the money. It is 100% on Ron Burkle who got cold feet and didn't want to put his money into this city afterall. Interestingly, he bought Neverland Ranch last year for tens of millions of dollars, but yeah, too bad Steinberg and the City Council dropped the ball.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
The whole stadium situation is predicated on the MLS team and the sole reason this has all disappeared is because of one man- Ron Burkle. It has nothing to do with local leadership. They're not the billionaires with the money. It is 100% on Ron Burkle who got cold feet and didn't want to put his money into this city afterall. Interestingly, he bought Neverland Ranch last year for tens of millions of dollars, but yeah, too bad Steinberg and the City Council dropped the ball.
Ha... because local leadership, who was basking in the glory and gleefully taking credit when the deal was announced, had precisely zero role when the once in a generation opportunity for a second major league sports franchise in Sacramento and the billions in development that would have gone with it, slipped through their fingers.

If you say so, comrade...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:45 AM

Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute, from the outside looking in it doesn't seem like local leadership screwed anything up? Am I missing something? It looks like it's all on Burkle which yes like CAGeoNerd happens if you rely on a single billionaire for success of failure.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute, from the outside looking in it doesn't seem like local leadership screwed anything up? Am I missing something? It looks like it's all on Burkle which yes like CAGeoNerd happens if you rely on a single billionaire for success of failure.
Correct- local leadership did everything right, went above and beyond to get the deal done- and DID get it done. It was Burkle's decision. Who knows, if COVID never happened we could already be seeing a stadium going up in the Railyards right now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:33 PM

Question asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Am I missing something?
Question answered:
Quote:
Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute
Don't ever change Majin lol...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Correct- local leadership did everything right, went above and beyond to get the deal done- and DID get it done. It was Burkle's decision. Who knows, if COVID never happened we could already be seeing a stadium going up in the Railyards right now.
If by "local leadership did everything right" you mean having no new MLS team, no new stadium, and no billions in related development, then yes...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Question asked:

Question answered:

Don't ever change Majin lol...
Since I admit I am unware what is going on behind the scenes, do you care to share what you know?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:09 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Here’s what’s going on behind the scenes for MLS.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:16 PM

Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ???? Two cranes for the new court house, is that what they are topping off at????I assume they will add more height to the cranes as the reach the top ?

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:34 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ???? Two cranes for the new court house, is that what they are topping off at????I assume they will add more height to the cranes as the reach the top ?
I’m no expert, but in looking at both tower cranes at the sight, only one of them has a tower crane climbing frame (red in color) to raise the mast. This is the crane on the western side of the construction site. So it appears only this crane will get a boost, but probably just enough to clear the other crane when in use. The other crane does not have a climbing frame attached. I guess they could add one later, but I don’t recall seeing that happen once a building starts going vertical. The Jib of the crane usually stays 40 feet or higher above the highest point on a building. This is how it looked for The Sawyer in 2015.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:38 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

County Courthouse will be the last high rise for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ????
There’s nothing on the horizon in terms of solid proposals (that I’m aware of). Even if there were, we’ve seen how ‘solid proposals’ pan out here in Sacramento. I don’t see anything rising above 15 stories in the next decade at least. The State will be looking to reduce their office space in favor of ‘work from home’ alternatives. The market for commercial high rise space never requires anything much larger than 300-400k sf of office space or somewhere between 26 and 30 stories. High rise residential towers aren’t on the horizon. So again, I would say at least a decade.

But yeah it’s quiet on this forum. I’m surprised every time I log on that Sacramento still has its own sub forum.

We need one NorCal forum imo.

Last edited by urban_encounter; May 30, 2021 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:53 PM

We have several highrises coming down the pipeline:
15 storey canopy hotel
15 storey 10 n k st by Mohanna
16 storey UC Davis Medical Center
14 storey Railyard Kaiser Hospital

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:36 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
We have several highrises coming down the pipeline:
15 storey canopy hotel
15 storey 10 n k st by Mohanna
16 storey UC Davis Medical Center
14 storey Railyard Kaiser Hospital
Yes, I’m aware of the projects you listed. But as I noted above, I think it will be awhile before we see any projects over 15 stories in the central core. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:43 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Yes, I’m aware of the projects you listed. But as I noted above, I think it will be awhile before we see any projects over 15 stories in the central core. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’m not going to hold my breath.
I agree urban_encounter. In my opinion, only two of the listed four have a shot, the Canopy Hotel and UCD Medical Center. These proposals have actually filed papers with the city planning department and began getting EIR to move forward, the others not so much. But unless they have already locked in contracts on products to build, current costs will make budgets skyrocket, possibly killing the proposals. Soaring steel and lumber costs are threatening to slow or kill construction.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 11:31 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
I agree urban_encounter. In my opinion, only two of the listed four have a shot, the Canopy Hotel and UCD Medical Center. These proposals have actually filed papers with the city planning department and began getting EIR to move forward, the others not so much. But unless they have already locked in contracts on products to build, current costs will make budgets skyrocket, possibly killing the proposals. Soaring steel and lumber costs are threatening to slow or kill construction.
Neither the Kaiser/Railyards nor the Mohanna project need to do an EIR (or the Canopy Hotel), they're covered by the governing specific plans (Railyards and Central City) but apparently the 19J project isn't leasing out many of its more expensive units (the 275-300 sf units renting for $1000-1500 rented immediately, the 400-900 units renting for $2500-4000 not so much) which supposedly complicates things for 19J. Kaiser, we'll see what happens but environmental review isn't the issue so much as the finances of the Railyards; I'm not sure how much effect the MLS stuff has on that. Demo was completed for the 800 K/L project so presumably that will get moving soon, although I know folks here aren't as enthusiastic about midrise projects.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:49 PM

So is 301 Capitol Mall just totally gone now? I know that proposal fell through but is that coming back with a new design or...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
So is 301 Capitol Mall just totally gone now? I know that proposal fell through but is that coming back with a new design or...
301 is dead. With more people working remotely, there isn't a need for a 33-story office tower. If a proposal were to come back, I expect a hotel/residential high-rise of 20-25 stories, maybe they can sprinkle a few floors for office.

But I dunno, we may see another decade of nothingness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area