HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:08 PM

Last edited by Half-Axed; Oct 20, 2021 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Found the answer to my question myself

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
... I can only imagine how long it will take the province to complete construction on this scale. We may well be talking decades at the pace they normally move at. I wonder if this will turn out to be big enough by then, despite its impressive size.
I wonder, also, if this being a P3 project will change the pace of anything. Will be interesting to see what impact, if any, that will have on both the design/planning and construction phases.

When it comes to design, my perception is that everything is planned to the bare minimum, where the pressure is on politicians and bureaucrats to keep the upfront costs low (long-term costs, be damned). If the Private "P" in the P3 is incentivized properly, I can see how overbuilding or building in some redundancy, could provide longer-term savings and be more appealing to them. This is one of the pitfalls of Operating Costs and Capital Costs being separate from one another, with no ability to trade between budgets - it means, at a simplistic level, that if a floor covering is more expensive than something that meets minimum quality standards, but will save maintenance costs and pay for the increased cost in five years, the push is to go for something as cheap as possible (but that meets minimum quality standards) - someone can fight over the operations costs later (and we see the results in all the deferred maintenance). Many private companies take a longer-term view of their investments in physical infrastructure and look at total costs rather than just immediate costs.

Last edited by eastcoastal; Oct 20, 2021 at 8:16 PM. Reason: for clarity

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Axed View Post
It also occurs to me that when this and the new Parkland tower are built, the Willow Tree is going to feel very, very different!
I'm really excited to see this as well. As for the hospital - I would agree the Robie St. facing is pretty intense, but our need for hospitals in general make me pretty forgiving on this. It could look like the Killam probably and I'd still be on board at this point.

It'll for sure be interesting to see what this area turns out to look like. Besides the hospital, just along Robie we have:

8 storeys+penthouse

23 storeys+penthouse

25 storeys

2x30 storeys

30, 32 storeys

We've needed this for a long time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:01 AM

Yes Robie is gonna turn into a very different street. There are also developments just off Robie in the north end such as Richmond Yards which I think someone123 already pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I'm really excited to see this as well. As for the hospital - I would agree the Robie St. facing is pretty intense, but our need for hospitals in general make me pretty forgiving on this. It could look like the Killam probably and I'd still be on board at this point.

It'll for sure be interesting to see what this area turns out to look like. Besides the hospital, just along Robie we have:

8 storeys+penthouse

23 storeys+penthouse

25 storeys

2x30 storeys

30, 32 storeys

We've needed this for a long time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Axed View Post
Yes Robie is gonna turn into a very different street. There are also developments just off Robie in the north end such as Richmond Yards which I think someone123 already pointed out.
Not to mention going up towards Quinpool! Dang, we really are growing up, aren't we.

I can't find the post, but Hadrian posted an interesting "could be" map of the area. Welcome to the forum, btw.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Not to mention going up towards Quinpool! Dang, we really are growing up, aren't we.

I can't find the post, but Hadrian posted an interesting "could be" map of the area. Welcome to the forum, btw.
Thanks!

As a long time lurker I was wondering if Hadrian had a massing of the whole willow tree intersection with the new hospital included. I used to live very near there - I have very deep family ties to the neighbourhood - and it’s just going to seem so different. I’m excited to see it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:11 AM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the building & parkade placements couldn't have been swapped between Robie & Bell, i.e. have the main buildings along the Commons? Acknowledging that ~half of the windows would be facing in toward the site either way, why not provide a nicer setting for the other hospital patients (I realize not all may be capable of getting up to look out the window, but the windows will apparently be sizeable) since there happens to be a large greenspace right there? As it is, it seems like many will be looking at apartments and vise-versa. Also (this wouldn't matter to the hospital but) it would have enclosed the commons with a little bit of a Central Park feel, rather than a view to a large parkade/driveways/chimney stacks etc. Additionally, a Robie St. parkade could have expanded upon or tied into the existing one, maybe saving costs (albeit perhaps requiring a signalized intersection on Robie).

Anyway, I trust there was sound reasoning behind the site plan, carried out by people far above my pay grade!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I deleted a few posts in here that were too personal in nature. Please try to avoid negative posts directed at other forumers and be charitable with each other.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:45 PM

I like your suggestions. Some new hospitals are being built with central courtyard and healing gardens specifically because seeing greenery is beneficial to the wellbeing of both staff and patients.

It would also be better for the folks in the George who thought they were going to have a bit of a view. (Not that views are ever guaranteed in developing cities…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the building & parkade placements couldn't have been swapped between Robie & Bell, i.e. have the main buildings along the Commons? Acknowledging that ~half of the windows would be facing in toward the site either way, why not provide a nicer setting for the other hospital patients (I realize not all may be capable of getting up to look out the window, but the windows will apparently be sizeable) since there happens to be a large greenspace right there? As it is, it seems like many will be looking at apartments and vise-versa. Also (this wouldn't matter to the hospital but) it would have enclosed the commons with a little bit of a Central Park feel, rather than a view to a large parkade/driveways/chimney stacks etc. Additionally, a Robie St. parkade could have expanded upon or tied into the existing one, maybe saving costs (albeit perhaps requiring a signalized intersection on Robie).

Anyway, I trust there was sound reasoning behind the site plan, carried out by people far above my pay grade!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post

I see a clue to the reasoning at the corner of Bell and Robie. The shadow from the new building crosses Bell Road but mysteriously doesn't quite touch the south common. A wall of such buildings along Bell would undoubtedly raise the ire of the Friends of the Common and other anti-tall building groups who would insist the south common will be ruined by shadows from these buildings to the south.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:15 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth