HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:41 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I think I've settled on "Samerrhoids".

"Austerrhoids" was a close second, but could be confused with "asteroids" too easily.
How ironic that a curb bump out is designed to provide an extra layer of safety for a pedestrian by diverting traffic further into oncoming traffic. The pedestrian hung out to dry in the middle of the street is now in a safe location? The pedestrian still has to cross now from the middle of the street amidst confused motorists. The concept needs a time out....

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:59 PM

Back on topic again. Here's an article on the Halifax Armoury restoration. I think it gives a good impression on the challenges of restoring/reconstructing historic buildings, especially iconic ones such as this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...runs-1.6221485

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think it gives a good impression on the challenges of restoring/reconstructing historic buildings, especially iconic ones such as this.
Well, not just iconic, and subject to strict heritage preservation rules, but also required to be a fully functional modern building at the same time - and for some time to come.

Given that, and the materials involved, there's no wonder it's a complex and jeezly expensive building to rehabilitate.

I'm not qualified or well-enough informed to comment on whether the project has been handled badly (and it's more fun to read Keith's commentary on that sort of thing anyway) but I really can't say I'm surprised at the cost.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:18 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Back on topic again. Here's an article on the Halifax Armoury restoration. I think it gives a good impression on the challenges of restoring/reconstructing historic buildings, especially iconic ones such as this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...runs-1.6221485
This is as close as we've come to a Quebec City style renovation. Well worth the investment!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
This is as close as we've come to a Quebec City style renovation. Well worth the investment!
This is another example of a Halifax landmark that would be considered a major heritage landmark in any city in Canada. In most of the developed world it would have been regularly maintained and never would have sat with wood around it for years to shield pedestrians from falling masonry. The current high budget is due to literally a century of deferred maintenance.

The residential buildings across from it on Agricola are poster children for bad/weird planning of the past. The media debates about them revolved around height but the buildings ended up being short and very ugly. Hopefully one day something nice will be built on the lot at North Park and C*********.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In most of the developed world it would have been regularly maintained and never would have sat with wood around it for years to shield pedestrians from falling masonry. The current high budget is due to literally a century of deferred maintenance.
Doubtless some of its neglect had partly to do with it being a functioning military asset of DND as opposed to a national historic site under the care of Parks Canada. Different priorities.

Not looking to excuse that neglect, just to help understand it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Well, not just iconic, and subject to strict heritage preservation rules, but also required to be a fully functional modern building at the same time - and for some time to come.

Given that, and the materials involved, there's no wonder it's a complex and jeezly expensive building to rehabilitate.

I'm not qualified or well-enough informed to comment on whether the project has been handled badly (and it's more fun to read Keith's commentary on that sort of thing anyway) but I really can't say I'm surprised at the cost.
Agree.

Agree.

LOL. (re: KP comments that we are all eagerly awaiting)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:04 PM
Salty Town

The neighbours of the historic Armory are examples of quintessential Halifax lack of foresight. The link below shows two new structures that afford no architectural respect (keep the rain out) to their location or to the city they are in. The developer determines the aesthetic outcome of a building and HRM has no mechanism to assist in a quality outcome and is limited to governing height, setbacks, parking etc. Maybe remove the rough landscaping from the roundabout and replace it with an acceptable monument to compliment the Amoury's history,,,War Memorial?

Armoury Neighbours:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65132...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Yup. And with money from the feds (due to being a DND asset and a national treasure).

From the article:
Quote:
Historian Allen B. Robertson says the armoury is "the last of its kind in Canada and not just a building sitting there, it actually still maintains a function, it is still in use."
I'm impressed that they are being careful on details (and proof that it can be done if the will - and budget - is there):
Quote:
Finding the same Nova Scotia sandstone used during construction between 1895 and 1899 was one of the first hurdles.

The original quarry near Pugwash on the Northumberland Strait is long gone.

A replacement quarry nearby proved unsuitable. That forced supplier Atlantic Sandstone to find sandstone within the same geological seam six kilometres from the first site, buy the property and open another quarry.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues