HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I quite like this ferry as an option:
https://www.austal.com/news/austal-l...-speed-ferries

May be too large though, 400 passengers is quite a bit, not sure how much they cost either.

They quote the range has being 175NM "per day" I would assume this is not on a single charge and instead with rest periods while it's stopped?
A nice looking ship!

So, if it gets 175 nm "per day", that would likely be 5-6 round trips between Mill Cove and the downtown ferry terminal. How many ferries do you think they will put on this service? I would think you would need a minimum of two ferries to make the service viable (in terms of both frequency and capacity).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A nice looking ship!

So, if it gets 175 nm "per day", that would likely be 5-6 round trips between Mill Cove and the downtown ferry terminal. How many ferries do you think they will put on this service? I would think you would need a minimum of two ferries to make the service viable (in terms of both frequency and capacity).
According to google Earth it's about 10KM in a straight line to the ferry terminal.

175NM = 318KM

Lets say with headwinds, route etc 1 way = 12KM

We're looking at 26 one way trips with the ferry or 13 round trips.

2 ferries could make it so that they could leave every half hour.

Big unknown about these ferries though is what the capacity on a single charge is. The whole "Day range of..." Sounds like marketing speak for that it will need to be charged throughout the day to achieve that number. The wait for it to be charged to a good level is the unknown.

Also price, I mean if these are 3-4x as expensive as a comparable conventional ferry then it wouldn't make sense.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In which case the "fast" ferry may occasionally be not quite so fast, and could arrive at the downtown ferry terminal 15-20 minutes late or so. Downtown office managers had better be a forgiving lot.
There's no reason to think that a large commercial vessel and a commuter ferry couldn't pass each other in the Narrows in the first place.

But even if - for whatever reason we could imagine - the ferry had to yield the ROW to another vessel there or in the Basin or anywhere else in the harbor, it wouldn't create a delay of anything like "15-20 minutes". More like a minute, and likely much less.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Jun 19, 2021 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 7:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
But even if - for whatever reason we could imagine - the ferry had to yield the ROW to another vessel there or in the Basin or anywhere else in the harbor, it wouldn't create a delay of anything like "15-20 minutes". More like a minute, and likely much less.
I think in practice delays due to yielding would potentially be worse for commuter rail. Generally speaking, in Canada, when passenger rail shares track with freight and there's some scheduling hiccup the passenger rail yields. The freight trains can take a lot time. CN does not want any commuter rail on their line. I doubt they will give it priority in the near future.

If there were a dedicated rail ROW from downtown to Bedford it would be a no-brainer to implement commuter rail service. But it's a shared freight line to the South End.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 7:52 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

I know wireless charging is increasingly common on bus stations, it could be a convenient way of juicing it up a little while loading passengers.

Evolving technology could easily change this, but I imagine the idea of an electric ferry faces the threat of going down a similar route as the electric busses.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:50 PM
hi

Aging Halifax ferry terminal to be rebuilt to accommodate proposed electric ferries
Reconstructed terminal would be twice the size, says councillor
Gareth Hampshire · CBC News · Posted: Jun 22, 2021 2:36 PM AT | Last Updated: June 23

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...zero-1.6075087

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:59 PM

Non-binding requests for proposals have gone out for two portions of this project.

1) Transit technology for the ferries

2) Conceptual design for the new Mill Cove Terminal and rebuild or expansion of the Halifax Terminal.

I was on the Bedford wharf last weekend. This site is listed as the location set aside for the Mill Cove Terminal.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:09 PM
Kind of a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Good Question, as the cost of having a fully experienced master mariner on a fast ferry would no doubt raise the cost to run a ferry through the roof.

Then again our Fed Liberals just may come up with a plan to retire or move the Basin container berths to a refurbished Imperial Oil site. That would lead to no restrictions for the Marco Polo class Container ships to finally shut down Montreal.
Naw, what was I thinking, Liberals will think they have already given Halifax the shipbuilding contract that has absolutely transformed Halifax and will for another twenty years.
Moving the container terminal to the old imperial oil site is a fantastic idea. Other than cost, I see zero reasons not to get started on this ASAP.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure