HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 2:37 PM

Hi all, as my first post on skyscraperpage I thought I would contribute with two of my own shots of Parliament from the other night.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 1:31 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Welcome, and nice shots.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 5:07 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Came across some neat images on this person's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gjyp_/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:15 PM

Hi all, first post!

View of east downtown, from FSS Hall at uOttawa. Photo by me.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:25 PM
Still optimistic

One of my favourite views in Ottawa - I used to head to the 11th floor to study, although I was mostly distracted by the scenery!

And welcome to the forum, Pico!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:50 PM

So much of "nothing" all around the canal... sad...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
One of my favourite views in Ottawa - I used to head to the 11th floor to study, although I was mostly distracted by the scenery!

And welcome to the forum, Pico!
Of all the faces of Downtown, that might be the one that offers the most variety in architectural styles, era of construction, height and colour.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I hope you're kidding. That it one of the nicest areas/walk in Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Nationally-Significant World Heritage Nothing For All Canadians, you mean!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
I hope you're kidding. That it one of the nicest areas/walk in Ottawa.
Yes you can walk along the canal, but that's about it. It's bordered on each side by roads, a small path and grass, that's it.

As others have previously suggested it would've been nice to see cafes, restaurants, shops, residential all along the canal. Take the current walking path along each side, multiply it by 3 or 4, add lots of benches, statues, fountains, art, lighting, etc... But, no, not in Ottawa...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 11:13 PM

That would be nice. if they could at least do it on one side.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 12:28 AM

The out-dated design of landscaping around the canal has really bothered me for some years now. I really tried to push the idea of redesign the urban canal frontage for the NCC's big ideas campaign. It didn't gain any traction at all and we all know how disappointing their 50 year plan turned out...

The current design basically has not changed in about a century. Meanwhile major cities all over the world have or are rethinking their urban waterfronts and turning them into stunning public spaces. Whereas we are going to be stuck with the canal as-is for another 50 years. I'd bet on that. The combination of heritage designations and overlapping jurisdictions of the NCC, parks Canada, UNESCO, & city make it impossible to do anything substantial. Or maybe it's just a matter of political will but certainly none of these organizations have the necessary budget to do this.

I read the NCC's annual budget was $110M to manage, maintain and operate the countless properties they own. Fat chance they do anything for Ottawa's most accessible urban waterfront. They could do amazing things to bring life to the canal but truthfully even some simple changes would go a long way. They have this massive swath of land all down the west side but they bottleneck everyone onto this shitty 2-lane pathway...

The definition of public space in Ottawa is a 2 metre wide strip of asphalt with a painted line down the middle that says "Move along. This isn't a place for you to enjoy leisure activities. Keep it moving."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 1:27 AM

We cannot be what we are not. There is a lot of history on how the Rideau Canal turned out the way it is. It goes back over 100 years now. The canal boundaries always were public space or were used for industry and railways that needed to be eliminated to get rid of the grime. This was also the case along the Ottawa River.

Ottawa industry developed initially from water power or there were steep hills or cliffs to the river edge. This is why we don't have beautiful lively waterfronts like you see in the pictures. The rivers were never the centre of retail commerce or housing. And our harsh climate and poor navigation especially along the Ottawa River just would never have promoted it. And then there was the lumber trade that dominated the Ottawa River as well. So, how could we have possibly had a waterfront focused city?

It will be very difficult to change this deeply ingrained history. The fact that we have cleaned away the waterfront industry is a huge improvement and the parklands are the envy of many cities, I am sure.

If we want to have active waterfronts, we need to focus on one location. This is why the Zibi/Lebreton developments are so key to the future.

I think we could have it a lot worse.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:34 AM

I'm sorry but the industrial use canal and waterfront argument doesn't go anywhere. That was the case with a vast majority of major cities that have since turned it around. We aren't unique in that sense simply because of logging and hydro power. Most cities were founded by a coast or river because that's just how things were transported then. I'll grant that the Ottawa Riverfront is too long and unwieldy to be made into something lively. But the canal runs right through the heart of the city, connecting two universities, lansdowne, and a crap load of residential. Maybe if the NCC didn't run a permit racket and Ritz monopoly on those 4km and there was more to do there, it might generate opportunities for big lively things.

The canal does not owe its current form to the heritage of the brave people who built it. The canal was designed for transportation in case of war to the south. But it never served that purpose and was RE-purposed as a leafy river walk and leisure boating canal. But then they got rid of most of the boat houses, boating clubs and launches. Now they keep the water behind bars and most people literally can't interact with it at all short of travelling to Dow's to rent a canoe. Truth is there's less to do on the canal today than there was 50 years ago. Now we just minimize liabilities and perpetually spend on incremental maintenance patchwork to the canal walls.

The harsh climate isn't that big an issue either. This is Canada. People pride themselves on enjoying the outdoors all seasons. Winnipeg,Edmonton, and Ottawa all put a lot of effort into promoting winter activities and festivals. You know, longest continuous ice rink and all that.

I trust Zibi will be great because I trust in Windmill but it will be real out of the way for most people. Right now Chaudiere probably has the lowest nearby population density of any central area in the CMA. Lebreton though is a corporate can of worms. Just because they proposed a lot of glitzy public spaces and landscaping the aquaduct/covered LRT doesn't mean they're actually going to build any of those things 20+ years down the road. That was a dog-n-pony show just to win the NCC land auction.

Frankly I despise the idea of emulating or envying 'world-class' designs and developments halfway around the world. But that's not what I'm suggesting. Activating the waterfront isn't trying to be Paris and it's not trying to build a Burj Ottawa. It's more the equivalent of transit-oriented development. Activating waterfronts is a basic urban planning ideology for the new century, simply because people want to live downtown again. It can be done many different ways and to different degrees but sticking with century-old boulevard paths for another century ain't one. My 2 cents.

Last edited by ElieB; Dec 13, 2016 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:37 PM

Zibi seems out of the way now based on where the city's at but I don't think it'll feel that way for long. Once Lebretton gets fully built out and especially if Hull starts to hit its inflection point, I think the psychological centre of the city will grow to encompass that area.

Zibi really is a game changer in my estimation. I know Windmill's hit it out of the park in terms of environmental sustainability but I really hope they've done all their due diligence in terms of proper and full negotiations and coordination with the Algonquin to ensure that this thing doesn't get killed in that pending legal challenge.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieB View Post
The definition of public space in Ottawa is a 2 metre wide strip of asphalt with a painted line down the middle that says "Move along. This isn't a place for you to enjoy leisure activities. Keep it moving."
It's also nationally-significant shrubs that attract tens of millions of visitors from Saskatchewan every year, and those sets of fourteen flagpoles that make people from eastern Newfoundland feel at home.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieB View Post
But then they got rid of most of the boat houses, boating clubs and launches. Now they keep the water behind bars and most people literally can't interact with it at all short of travelling to Dow's to rent a canoe. Truth is there's less to do on the canal today than there was 50 years ago.
You must have missed that they added new boat launches earlier this year; Catherine McKenna portaged from home with her canoe to the opening media event, which was a pretty decent publicity stunt.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
We cannot be what we are not. There is a lot of history on how the Rideau Canal turned out the way it is. It goes back over 100 years now. The canal boundaries always were public space or were used for industry and railways that needed to be eliminated to get rid of the grime.
"needed" is a value or political judgment that I don't necessarily take as self-evident.

Quote:
Ottawa industry developed initially from water power or there were steep hills or cliffs to the river edge. This is why we don't have beautiful lively waterfronts like you see in the pictures. The rivers were never the centre of retail commerce or housing.
Well, except where they were. There used to be residential areas closer to the Rideau River which were eliminated partly in the name of flood control but mostly in the name of "beautification." The Rideau Falls area, the north end of Lowertown/Sussex Street area (before it got "Drived"), Lebreton, the river islands, downtown Hull, were the kinds of industrial and gritty neighbourhoods that have been transformed in other 19th-century-rooted Canadian and American cities; here, they have been obliterated and replaced with grass, windswept plains, pointless monuments, and other city-killing Radiant Garden City Beautiful Gréberized crap. The Whatever-The-Hell-It's-Called-This-Decade Parkway was built partly on top of, and partly in front of, a built-up (and transit-oriented!) urban environment that turned its face to the Ottawa River. Can't have that - riverfronts are for cars, dontcha know.

Ottawa used to have a much more lively social and economic interaction with its waterways, natural and artificial. Almost all of it has been obliterated, and almost all of the obliteration, either to facilitate the rapid movement of private automobiles, or in the name of dubious national interests, or both.

Quote:
And our harsh climate and poor navigation especially along the Ottawa River just would never have promoted it. And then there was the lumber trade that dominated the Ottawa River as well. So, how could we have possibly had a waterfront focused city?
The same way, on a smaller scale, that Montreal and Brooklyn and Boston and Halifax and Vancouver did and do.

Check out old fire insurance plans or aerial photographs of Ottawa. The city used to be much more well-stitched to its waterways. Those stitches were all pulled out in the last century and replaced with endless swathes of city-killing grass.

Quote:
It will be very difficult to change this deeply ingrained history. The fact that we have cleaned away the waterfront industry is a huge improvement and the parklands are the envy of many cities, I am sure.
No one comes to Ottawa to walk on grass, other than the geese. No one.

Quote:
If we want to have active waterfronts, we need to focus on one location.
Why?

Quote:
I think we could have it a lot worse.
That's true; there's always some Friends of the ____ group out there willing to take on the mantle of tearing down more city and replacing it with more frickin' grass.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
You must have missed that they added new boat launches earlier this year; Catherine McKenna portaged from home with her canoe to the opening media event, which was a pretty decent publicity stunt.
Earlier this year, after 50+ years of federal government grass-fetishism.

Can you grab a beer at those boat launches?

No?

Then there's still city-building work to be done, lots of it, and none of it involving grass, shrubs, or god-awful expensive granite pavers.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
"needed" is a value or political judgment that I don't necessarily take as self-evident.

Well, except where they were. There used to be residential areas closer to the Rideau River which were eliminated partly in the name of flood control but mostly in the name of "beautification." The Rideau Falls area, the north end of Lowertown/Sussex Street area (before it got "Drived"), Lebreton, the river islands, downtown Hull, were the kinds of industrial and gritty neighbourhoods that have been transformed in other 19th-century-rooted Canadian and American cities; here, they have been obliterated and replaced with grass, windswept plains, pointless monuments, and other city-killing Radiant Garden City Beautiful Gréberized crap. The Whatever-The-Hell-It's-Called-This-Decade Parkway was built partly on top of, and partly in front of, a built-up (and transit-oriented!) urban environment that turned its face to the Ottawa River. Can't have that - riverfronts are for cars, dontcha know.

Ottawa used to have a much more lively social and economic interaction with its waterways, natural and artificial. Almost all of it has been obliterated, and almost all of the obliteration, either to facilitate the rapid movement of private automobiles, or in the name of dubious national interests, or both.

The same way, on a smaller scale, that Montreal and Brooklyn and Boston and Halifax and Vancouver did and do.

Check out old fire insurance plans or aerial photographs of Ottawa. The city used to be much more well-stitched to its waterways. Those stitches were all pulled out in the last century and replaced with endless swathes of city-killing grass.

No one comes to Ottawa to walk on grass, other than the geese. No one.

Why?

That's true; there's always some Friends of the ____ group out there willing to take on the mantle of tearing down more city and replacing it with more frickin' grass.
I thought the historic Rideau Falls area was heavily industrial. Am I mistaken?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos