HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:22 PM

About South Keys

I found this article this morning:
https://beyondtheautomobile.com/2021...h-keys-centre/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgr View Post
South Keys has huge potential of becoming a mini-downtown hub, served by two O-Train stations. From the link, here's the current plans from 2015:

Owners of South Keys Mall, "Smart" Centres, is redeveloping Vaughan Metropolitain Center into this:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
South Keys has huge potential of becoming a mini-downtown hub, served by two O-Train stations.
Too bad we still don't have double-tracking on this line.
Will there ever be? Not for this generation it seems.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Trillium has a history of extremely slow and painful upgrades. I'm sure double tracking will happen at some point, but no timeline has been established. It will all depend on ridership/capacity.

Pre-pandemic, I was fairly confident capacity would be reached quickly with Stage 2. Post-pandemic, I'm not quite as sure.

The City doesn't need to double track the entire line at once. North of the Dow's Lake tunnel will happen in part (could happen in full) by 2028 in time for the opening of the new Civic, but that may not do anything for overall capacity. Double tracking Walkley seems to be the next step to increase frequencies from 12 to 10 minutes, which would represent a 20% capacity increase. I assume Mooney's Bay/Ellwood would be next after that.

Note that the 2013 "upgrades" were suppose to increase frequencies from 15 to 8 minutes, but that failed miserably. The best they could do was 12 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Goes along with the likelihood that South Keys will be a sea of asphalt for most of our lives.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Trillium has a history of extremely slow and painful upgrades. I'm sure double tracking will happen at some point, but no timeline has been established. It will all depend on ridership/capacity.

Pre-pandemic, I was fairly confident capacity would be reached quickly with Stage 2. Post-pandemic, I'm not quite as sure.

The City doesn't need to double track the entire line at once. North of the Dow's Lake tunnel will happen in part (could happen in full) by 2028 in time for the opening of the new Civic, but that may not do anything for overall capacity. Double tracking Walkley seems to be the next step to increase frequencies from 12 to 10 minutes, which would represent a 20% capacity increase. I assume Mooney's Bay/Ellwood would be next after that.

Note that the 2013 "upgrades" were suppose to increase frequencies from 15 to 8 minutes, but that failed miserably. The best they could do was 12 minutes.
I sometimes wonder what the maximum frequency would be if we double tracked everything except the Dow's lake tunnel. I have to imagine that we could get it down to 3 minutes or less with the right rolling stock and signaling. Everything else is comparatively much easier.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Goes along with the likelihood that South Keys will be a sea of asphalt for most of our lives.
Truenorth- you're becoming as positive as Uhuniau.

There's a 12-storey building proposed nearby, and I fully expect to see a proposal for the area between the transit station and the cinema (and possibly including the cinema) any time now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Truenorth- you're becoming as positive as Uhuniau.
I'm far more sympathetic to his frustrations these days. This city seems to have a steady track record of talking more than building. And after over a decade here, it's starting to wear on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
There's a 12-storey building proposed nearby, and I fully expect to see a proposal for the area between the transit station and the cinema (and possibly including the cinema) any time now.
Cool. so like 3000 sq ft of asphalt will be developed over the next few years. Totally changes the character of the place....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:

Cool. so like 3000 sq ft of asphalt will be developed over the next few years. Totally changes the character of the place....
Need to start somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 1:26 PM

Another place where I often walk unfortunately has many sq ft of asphalt.
Near the corner of Greenbank Rd. & Bateman Dr.
Should really be a park, but when parking is needed, parking has priority.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Another place where I often walk unfortunately has many sq ft of asphalt.
Near the corner of Greenbank Rd. & Bateman Dr.
Should really be a park, but when parking is needed, parking has priority.
Somebody tell Otto's BMW about the extra parking!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'm far more sympathetic to his frustrations these days. This city seems to have a steady track record of talking more than building. And after over a decade here, it's starting to wear on me.
RIGHT??!?!?

But you know what? They aren't even "talking" any more, at least not "talking" in any ways, about any things, that would really fix the things that bug me about what passes for urbanism in Ottawa.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues