HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:45 PM
Never Dell

Depends on whether it comes with Sunbelt-type parking volumes, especially if above-grade. And retail on some of the main streets, preferably focusing on small stores. Etc.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I live next door in Oakland Park! I'm in Wilton all the time.
You both live near one of the few Skyline Chilis located outside the Midwest! I always hit one of those Skylines up when I'm in Ft Lauderdale. That's a nice amenity in your area

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Depends on whether it comes with Sunbelt-type parking volumes, especially if above-grade. And retail on some of the main streets, preferably focusing on small stores. Etc.
But no one is going to build a sunbelt style project with huge parking podiums in a city like New York of San Francisco. Either it's not what the market wants and/or they're not permitted.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:13 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
You both live near one of the few Skyline Chilis located outside the Midwest! I always hit one of those Skylines up when I'm in Ft Lauderdale. That's a nice amenity in your area
For real. Best I can do in Arizona are cans for $4.59 a pop at Fry's (owned by Kroger).

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:26 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
But no one is going to build a sunbelt style project with huge parking podiums in a city like New York of San Francisco. Either it's not what the market wants and/or they're not permitted.
Yes. I'm just pointing out that traditional urbanism isn't the same as what's getting built in many cities.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
If you are referring to the one at the intersection of 26th and Fed highway, I believe it is closed. When I've driven by, it looks boarded up and there is graffiti on the building.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Recently moving to Wilton Manors in Broward, which is sort of an enclave of mostly self-sustaining village. However, I agree that most of Broward is "a sprawling auto-centric agglomeration of subdivisions dominated by strip malls and chain retail stores." I am intrigued about Miami and will have to pay a visit, but I sense that it would have pockets of walkable areas mostly surrounded or adjacent to auto-centric strip malls. And I don't even need to respond to the comment about why this blog may not like Florida - it's certainly not about what that contributor said and I'll just shut my mouth.
Wilton Manors is almost literally an inland island so its sort of a self-sustaining village:
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1602.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
If you are referring to the one at the intersection of 26th and Fed highway, I believe it is closed. When I've driven by, it looks boarded up and there is graffiti on the building.
You just broke my heart

Looks like there's maybe one still open on University Dr in Sunrise... so at least there's that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
I believe they are looking to move to another Fort Lauderdale location soon.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:06 PM

No comment. Last time I expressed in my own thread that Miami's urbanity surprised me I was verbally beaten to a pulp by half of the forumers here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
No comment. Last time I expressed in my own thread that Miami's urbanity surprised me I was verbally beaten to a pulp by half of the forumers here.
You're not allowed to praise FL on SSP, or even have a favorable opinion on how it's urbanizing better than most of the country. I think we both learned this the hard way.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:58 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Florida is probably one of the best places for new urbanity (if not the actual best) in the country. Too bad this forum tends to hate Florida because of its Latino Repbulican population, and is continually being looked at as a red-headed stepchild.

Most of its cities are increasingly densifying and offer better urban options than the vast majority of American cities, sunbelt or not.
Wait... you think that is why people hate Florida???

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Because that's not what you did. You tried to downplay LA areas by trying to pump up Miami. If you just said, "Miami surprised me", you would've gotten a better response. I've seen formers do the same response in those scenarios, even New Yorkers here. But anyway...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:01 AM
你的媽媽

Massive condo towers atop parking podiums =/= urbanizing better. The Mission in SF, despite being comprised of mainly 2-4 story buildings, absolutely crushes Miami in terms of urbanity.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Massive condo towers atop parking podiums =/= urbanizing better. The Mission in SF, despite being comprised of mainly 2-4 story buildings, absolutely crushes Miami in terms of urbanity.
Although the nice thing about parking podiums is that they create an amenities level (pool, garden space, BBQs, gym) that is raised off the street for sunlight and a breeze. Replicating NY style building topology in Miami would be a waste of the tropical weather.

The key is ground floor retail and ideally “wrapping” the podiums in micro-units or something (Vancouver style) rather than bare concrete walls. Many of the newer developments in Brickell/Downtown Miami seem to be doing just that.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Jun 2, 2021 at 9:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:36 PM
Never Dell

You can do the same thing with a podium full of housing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:38 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Except then you don’t have any place for people to keep the cars they want to own. Sorry, but even in most urban locations a significant share of people want cars.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
The reality is, you go to Miami for the beach and nightlife, not to do urban exploring. I just don't think there's a truly a will for Miami to become an urban purist's ideal environment like Seattle. Same thing with Las Vegas.

That being said, Miami to some extent will have to densify in order to keep growing because of the limited space due to the Everglades and Atlantic Ocean.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:08 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

the nice think about the podiums is that it's easy to move the street level up as Miami goes underwater.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions