HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Jasper is way too far to work.

Calgary and Vancouver are both about an hour from their respective resort cities (Banff, Whistler), while Edmonton is over 3 hours from Jasper.
The downhill ski facility for the 1988 Olympics was at Kananaskis, not Banff (and yes, Kananaskis is only about an hour from Calgary too). There was intitial discussions about using Lake Louse as the venue but it was turned down for environmental reasons. Obtaining agreement to hold Olympic events in a National Park will be very difficult.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonexport View Post
toronto for summer olympics. (within next 25 years)
quebec city for winter olympics. (within next 35 years). Truly one of the world's greatest winter cities.

That's it. Sorry calgary, montreal, and vancouver, but it's time to let another canadian city to have a moment in the olympic limelight.
+1

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
People have this notion that Jasper is like Edmonton's Banff... it takes about as long to get to Banff from Edmonton as it does to get to Jasper. Over 4 hours away is not really next door. It's almost triple the driving time as between Vancouver and Whistler.
You must drive slow.

Takes me 3.5 hours to drive from Edmonton to Banff via Cochrane and just under 3 hours during moderate traffic to get to Jasper from SE Edmonton. Routinely do day trips to both towns, put in an 8 hour hike and drive back home that evening.

Moot point though as like it was previously pointed out, a HSR line would need to be constructed to make it feasible for an Edmonton Winter Olympic games. In the scheme of things, Winter Olympics, while nice and all... don't really register to me. They are not even close to holding the prestige and attention of the Summer games; a nice feather in the cap but even the Commonwealth games are much bigger, not in terms of prominence maybe, but in terms of number of athletes.

Last edited by bkd; Oct 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:48 PM

^ HSR to Jasper. What a sensible and realistic proposal.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:49 PM

If Quebec were to host the Winter Olympics, they will need a sliding track (Bobsled, Luge and Skeleton). Right now there is only 17 in the world. Does Canada need 3 sliding tracks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...keleton_tracks

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
^ HSR to Jasper. What a sensible and realistic proposal.
Never said it would, or was even remotely likely to happen, did I.

But at least it'd significantly cut your laborious travel time down.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
You must drive slow.

Takes me 3.5 hours to drive from Edmonton to Banff via Cochrane and just under 3 hours during moderate traffic to get to Jasper from SE Edmonton. Routinely do day trips to both towns, put in an 8 hour hike and drive back home that evening.

Moot point though as like it was previously pointed out, a HSR line would need to be constructed to make it feasible for an Edmonton Winter Olympic games. In the scheme of things, Winter Olympics, while nice and all... don't really register to me. They are not even close to holding the prestige and attention of the Summer games; a nice feather in the cap but even the Commonwealth games are much bigger, not in terms of prominence maybe, but in terms of number of athletes.
You are certainly atypical of the average Canadian then.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:46 PM

A 40,000 seat stadium for the Argos? Sorry but I think the days of any CFL stadium being built to over 35,000 are long over. The point of the Argos having a new stadium would be to make it an intimate and smaller venue. Build a 40,000 seater and people will be complaining about the cavernous feel of the place after a year or so.

Even the Eskimos would be well served if they'd never expanded Commonwealth to 60,000 in the first place (they've wisely reduced capacity in recent years and made the seats bigger, removed the track etc but it's still far too big).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I'd agree. My impression is that Canadians are more into the winter olympics, mainly because it includes many sports that people either have first-hand experience with, or at least enjoy watching at a professional level. I don't see how anyone could claim that the winter olympics are any less prestigious than the summer games.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:52 PM

Just look at the ratings in this country for Sochi compared to London and it's clear that the Winter Games are a bigger deal here (and I won't even compare it to Vancouver since that was a ratings bonanza that will likely never be met).

And to claim that the Winter Games are less prestigious in this country than the Commonwealth Games in this day and age is laughable. Shall we compare the ratings for this year's games in Glasgow even to your typical Raptors game?

I suspect he has his Edmonton-coloured shades on a bit tight today.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:57 PM
arf

Winter Olympics because of hockey hockey hockey. The skiing is pretty good too and I enjoy the speedskating more than track and field.

Unless its the marathon. I absolutely love the marathon for two hours of street-level coverage of the host city. For a city enthusiast, that is absolute heaven.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
I suspect he has his Edmonton-coloured shades on a bit tight today.
LOL

Only someone from Edmonton would rank the CWGs over the Winter Olympics

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:
LOL

The Edmonton Grads could wipe the floor with the 1996 Chicago Bulls, I tell ya.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:04 PM
DRINK

Quote:
The Edmonton Grads could wipe the floor with the 1996 Chicago Bulls, I tell ya.
Well no shit. Of course woman can wipe floors better.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
LOL

I prefer the Pan Am Games to both. After all, there are more events and more athletes involved. So that makes it better, right!?

Blueandgoldguy adjusts Winnipeg-colored shades.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Well no shit. Of course woman can wipe floors better.
http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/postcards/sx1.jpg

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I'd agree. My impression is that Canadians are more into the winter olympics, mainly because it includes many sports that people either have first-hand experience with, or at least enjoy watching at a professional level. I don't see how anyone could claim that the winter olympics are any less prestigious than the summer games.
yeah, definitely add me to the list of Canadians that far prefers watching the Winter Olympics over the summer Olympics. Just like I much prefer Hockey over Baseball. I could give less than a quarter shit for the Commonwealth games.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't disagree. Part of that probably stems from only one of my parents being Canadian and the fact that most sports I played/participated in growing up weren't cold weather ones. And while I like and enjoy winter sports I find that the lack of sports and disciplines limits the enjoyment I get out of the games because of the somewhat repetitive nature. Not to say that the Summer games doesn't have IMO too many superflous idiotic disciplines in some of its sports (rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline, BMX etc.) but Track and Cycling and the Water sports are simply more my cup of tea.

Considering hockey is the defacto prestige sport of the Winter Games... after being a lifelong Oilers fan, the last 7 years have basically turned me off the team and sport so I'm a bit jaded about that and I think that also plays into my feelings. I much rather prefer the skiing and snowboarding and various disciplines within those two along with downhill sledding sports so it's not like I completely am disinterested in them.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
yeah, definitely add me to the list of Canadians that far prefers watching the Winter Olympics over the summer Olympics. Just like I much prefer Hockey over Baseball. I could give less than a quarter shit for the Commonwealth games.
I only care about the Commonwealth games if Edmonton gets them and really the reason for that is if the Feds send some money this way for infrastructure like they did for other host cities (Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary for Olympics, Toronto and Winnipeg for Pan-Ams).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

Outside of Canada and a handful of other winter nations like the Scandinavian countries, the Summer Games are consistently much more watched, have more countries competing in them and have a much higher number of athletes participating. I don't think I've ever come across anyone that isn't aware of the fact that the Summer Games, on a global scale, are generally viewed as much more prestigious than the Winter Games.

And I never ranked the CWG's over the Winter Olympics. Even in my original post what I said was that they are more attended and more athletes participate in the CWG's than the Winter Games, but they aren't more prominent. *facepalm*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada