HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 10:49 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Who Gets the Streets Now?

Who Gets the Streets Now?
The restaurants who needed them to survive? The humans who endured the pandemic city? Or their old owners, cars?
By Henry Grabar

Quote:
The city wants to build a bike lane, and the car people want to stop it.

If you follow local politics anywhere, you’ve heard this story before. But this time there’s a twist: Businesses on Washington, D.C.’s Ninth Street NW aren’t just fighting to keep parking spots so their customers can drive to dinner. Like so many restaurants around the country, establishments like Unconventional Diner and Cuba Libre have converted curbside parking spaces into open-air dining rooms. So when Mayor Muriel Bowser gave the go-ahead on a two-way, parking-protected bike lane that would eat up 80 spaces along the corridor, the neighborhood business group Shaw Main Streets warned DCist that the bike lane could prompt a “business bloodbath.”

As the pandemic ebbs, cities across the country must adjudicate what has suddenly become a dizzyingly open question: Who owns the streets? After a year in which all the old rules went out the window, some urbanites are eager for a return to normal—which is to say, a system that assumes the streets are for driving and for parking. But many, many others have had a revelation that my colleague Dan Kois so nicely summarized as the shutdowns descended last March: “[T]he coronavirus is revealing, or at least reminding us, just how much of contemporary American life is bullshit.” Just as the TSA suddenly permitted 12-ounce bottles of carry-on hand sanitizer, it took about 90 days for local governments to adopt enough new ideas for what a city should look like to tie up a community board for a decade. Was it an aberrant reaction to a hundred-year plague—or a sudden glimpse of the future?

And sometimes it happens by public forum, as in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, whose main drive has been closed to cars since April 2020. At a rally to make that policy permanent, David Miles Jr., known locally as the Godfather of Skate, made the case: “You’re supposed to be able to enjoy yourself in a green environment and escape the hustles and bustles of everyday life. That only happens when the park is closed to cars.”

Those who would like cars to return to the park include the park’s art and science museums, which are concerned about the loss of parking spaces, as well as some local politicians who say keeping cars from the park makes it hard to access. The president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, Shamann Walton, said the car-free park was “segregationist polic[y]” and “looks like the 1950s South.” His colleague Connie Chan, who grew up in San Francisco’s Chinatown, also argued it was a racial-equity issue to let people drive into the park. According to data from the city, visitor patterns in Golden Gate Park by district have not changed since the street was made car-free, though pedestrian traffic inside the park is up 42 percent and cyclist visits are up 441 percent. (And there are still nearly 5,000 parking spaces inside the park.)

In the Before Times, such conflicts often did pit drivers against everyone else. But it turns out that when you start offering up the pie of public space, everyone wants a slice, and compromise isn’t always easy.
Source.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:18 PM

As much as I would love to see restaurants and cafes take up the streets indefinitely, I have a feeling this will erode away a bit....

As capacity indoors opens back up to 100%, I suspect restaurants will view dealing with setting up outdoor seating day-in and day-out (having to shore up chairs, tables, lock them up at night), etc will get old for them quickly if everyone can sit at their normal tables inside. Plus, throw on upticks in traffic as more people are out and about, and I think this will go bye-bye.

Maybe I am wrong, but that's my prediction.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Brooklyn’s Black Lives Matter plaza also blocked a busy bus route, and local businesses claimed they suffered from a lack of car access. In October 2020, the experiment was over, and the block reverted to its 2019 form “for safety reasons,” according to the local councilman. Now, well into New York’s Hot Vax Summer, the block is gridlock, and you can hardly imagine that a couple tied the knot there last summer.
That's a pretty dubious claim. In a normal day, very few people come to that area by private car, even though it's a very busy commercial zone.

I think it's going to be very hard to put this genie back in the bottle in New York. Cars are not getting back most of the space that was lost in the pandemic. And it is free real estate for businesses to accommodate more customers, so I doubt that many business owners are really complaining.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:57 PM

LA and the other cities in LA county have made (or are in the process) of making these covid changes permanent and that makes me very happy. Even to go cocktails are staying

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:30 PM

They haven't really closed many streets in Seattle, so I don't have a local opinion about this.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:26 PM

As an eternal lover of al fresco dining, I'm hoping most of the restaurant parklets remain.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:28 PM

Clark street in Chicago ( a pretty major street ) has had 3 trendy blocks just N of my office blocked off for the duration - as a train rider I love it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 11:07 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
As much as I would love to see restaurants and cafes take up the streets indefinitely, I have a feeling this will erode away a bit....

As capacity indoors opens back up to 100%, I suspect restaurants will view dealing with setting up outdoor seating day-in and day-out (having to shore up chairs, tables, lock them up at night), etc will get old for them quickly if everyone can sit at their normal tables inside. Plus, throw on upticks in traffic as more people are out and about, and I think this will go bye-bye.

Maybe I am wrong, but that's my prediction.
This is a crazy concept to me - the notion that restaurants can't have seating outside indefinitely and them worrying about the logistics. As a Texan, having outdoor seating just comes naturally. My mom and I and my sister went out to eat last night. We went for Mexican food as we often do, and of course, we sat outside. It was really very nice even though the restaurant is in the suburbs in a shopping center, and yes, the patio faces the parking lot. But they have a rock wall around the perimeter, and it was just nice to sit and eat with the cooling breeze of the late afternoon. Most of the patio seating here just leave their tables in place. I suppose they scoot them around to clean, but that's it. Our table at this restaurant had caster wheels so they could roll it to sweet the patio. Patio seating here is common, even in the boring suburbs. I had tacos last night, three of them, beans and rice, two bowls of salsa, and a Dos Equis.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:00 AM
Never Dell

Malls have 24/7 security, and they can spot trouble at 3:00 am when someone might for example try to steal tables. It's not like that for independent places.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:58 AM

Chicago

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 8:43 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Malls have 24/7 security, and they can spot trouble at 3:00 am when someone might for example try to steal tables. It's not like that for independent places.
Tables here are usually secured with discreet metal cables. They're also usually herded together at the end of the night, with the chairs either secured also or taken inside.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 11:26 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I've heard lots of people call al fresco seating "European style" which is crazy to me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
S.F's beloved Great Highway car closure at risk as drivers race through Sunset's quiet streets
Heather Knight
Nov. 17, 2020
Updated: Nov. 17, 2020 4 a.m.

City officials shut the Great Highway, that long stretch of blessedly flat road running alongside Ocean Beach, to cars earlier this year because sand covered parts of it and made it impassable. They kept it closed to give people space to exercise while remaining socially distanced during the COVID-19 pandemic.

And what a wonder it’s been. People bike, stroll, run, scoot, roller skate, skateboard and walk their dogs. Artists have used it as large canvas, and protesters have marched along it for racial justice.

So why did Supervisor Gordon Mar write a letter to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency threatening to pull his support of the people-centered promenade and instead call for the return of cars? Because drivers that used the highway have spilled into the Outer Sunset without behaving like they’re on residential streets. And SFMTA hasn’t done much to stop them . . . .

What happens with the Great Highway will be a good indicator of whether the city will be able to preserve its other pandemic silver linings: outdoor dining in parking spaces, closed-to-cars Twin Peaks Boulevard and JFK Drive, Slow Streets to close residential roads to through traffic and Shared Spaces to close commercial thoroughfares on certain days.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...k-15732061.php

I think this is inevitable. The vast majority of people living in the city and visiting it use cars to get from one part of town to the other and they aren't going to give that up when streets are closed. It just moves traffic from one street to others making them more crowded and dangerous. And sometimes the reasons are good like preservation of the dining "parklets" that came with covid but sometimes they are less good like turning traffic lanes over to a few thousand bike riders while making life miserable for hundreds of thousands of. drivers.

Meanwhile:

Quote:
Fight over JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park continues despite new data showing closure isn't an equity issue
Heather Knight
May 15, 2021
Updated: May 15, 2021 5:05 p.m.

The city’s decision about whether to keep JFK Drive [main route through Golden Gate Park] car-free after the pandemic is proceeding as slowly and unevenly as a little kid learning how to ride a bike with training wheels on the 1½-mile stretch. Well, that might not be fair to little kids learning how to ride bikes because at least they have some forward momentum, and the city has been debating JFK Drive for decades.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency and the Recreation and Park Department acknowledged at Tuesday’s Transportation Authority meeting — that’s when the Board of Supervisors talks transit — that they should have a plan by the end of the year, but they have no idea what that plan will be.

But what really stuck out during the meeting was when Supervisor Shamann Walton said car-free JFK Drive “looks like the 1950s South” — doubling down on his previous claims that the street is segregationist and recreational red-lining.

But are his constituents in District 10, which includes Bayview-Hunters Point, really being excluded from the city’s largest park because cars can’t use a 1½-mile stretch of pavement?

According to data from the Recreation and Park Department, they’re not. Each of the city’s 11 supervisorial districts is seeing its constituents visit JFK Drive in almost exactly the same proportion as before the pandemic.

The department obtained data from City Dash, which tracks data from cell phones and other devices and sells it to cities to provide accurate information about where people are spending their time. This sounds kind of creepy to me, but the department said all data is made anonymous before it’s handed over.

No district increased or decreased its proportion of overall visits to JFK Drive by more than 1.5% during the pandemic. The proportion of overall visits stemming from District 10 has dipped just 0.3%. Not surprisingly, it’s correlated strongly with distance from the park. Visits dropped slightly from Districts Two, Three, Six, Nine, 10 and 11 and rose slightly in Districts One, Four, Five and Seven. District Eight, in the middle of the city, stayed the same.

. . . Walter Thompson, a Black journalist who lives in the city, tweeted that Walton needs to “get his mind right” because comparing the closure of JFK Drive to the civil rights abuses of the South in the 1950s is offensive.

He said there’s a lot of racism in San Francisco, but car-free JFK Drive isn’t an example of it . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/he...k-16178700.php

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The vast majority of people living in the city and visiting it use cars to get from one part of town to the other
Source?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Source?
Are you saying you doubt that motorized vehicles (which I should have said rather than "cars" to include muni) carry a lot more people around town than bikes or scooters or whatever?

All one has to do is stand on any street (even those with bike lanes but not those where cars are banned obviously) and count the motorized vehicles and bikes. It's no contest. You are a denier of the obvious (and, according to Sup. Walton, racist as well).

Addendum: But it was easier to find data on this than I thought so here it is:

https://sf.streetsblog.org/2015/02/0...te-automobile/

So about 73% plus (because the category for bikes also includes ridesharing and taxis) are via motorized vehicle. And since I specified (intentionally) "to get across town" you can eliminate most of the walkers as well since most, like me walk a few blocks to visit places in their neighborhoods but get some kind of ride to go to other neighborhoods. In sum, it's probably at least 90% motorized vehicles using streets vs less than 10% bikes, pedestrians and others to whom the suggestion here is to turn over the streets.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jun 12, 2021 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you doubt that motorized vehicles (which I should have said rather than "cars" to include muni) carry a lot more people around town than bikes or scooters or whatever?
A one-word question isn't a statement, Pedestrian.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of San Franciscans travel across town by car, bus, streetcar, cable car, heavy rail, commuter rail, and/or light rail--and if you'd written that previously instead of just "cars," then there wouldn't have been any need for clarification.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
A one-word question isn't a statement, Pedestrian.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of San Franciscans travel across town by car, bus, streetcar, cable car, heavy rail, commuter rail, and/or light rail--and if you'd written that previously instead of just "cars," then there wouldn't have been any need for clarification.
I did not mean to include rail transportation which should be obvious. We are talking about STREETS here. We are talking about vehicles that use streets, just plain streets.

Like so many others on these pages, you just want to argue. It's pointless. My point is perfectly clear except to the willfully ignorant.

Have fun in LA--they have plenty of streets there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I did not mean to include rail transportation which should be obvious. We are talking about STREETS here. We are talking about vehicles that use streets, just plain streets.

Like so many others on these pages, you just want to argue. It's pointless. My point is perfectly clear except to the willfully ignorant.

Have fun in LA--they have plenty of streets there.
The source you posted combined all forms of public transit into a single category, but yeah--we know from APTA ridership reports that street-running vehicles carry the overwhelming majority of San Francisco transit riders in-town.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
The source you posted combined all forms of public transit into a single category, but yeah--we know from APTA ridership reports that street-running vehicles carry the overwhelming majority of San Francisco transit riders in-town.
That may be true in smaller cities, but Chicago and NYC the majority is rail.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 5:45 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
That may be true in smaller cities, but Chicago and NYC the majority is rail.
Driving alone

While 76.4 percent of Americans drive to work alone, Chicagoland is one of a handful of metro regions in in the U.S., and the only one in the Midwest, where 70 percent or fewer commuters do so — 70 percent on the nose in our case. That’s behind several other metro areas with decent transit, including New York, San Francisco, Boston, Washington, D.C., and Seattle. 48.6 percent of city of Chicago residents drive alone to work.

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2019/02/...ds-mode-split/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions