HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 8:45 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvcNYC View Post
Just looking at this older discussion, what a difference a few years makes!

It seems development in Buffalo has really began to take off, particularly with Douglas Jamal in the picture. It seems the City and developers are finally taking advantage of the area's unique history and using it as the springboard for development, particularly in the Silo City. That's great to see. I don't know that any other city in NY State outside of NYC is seeing development like this?
Is that the same Douglas Jamal from dc ? That augurs well for Buffalo

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Is that the same Douglas Jamal from dc ? That augurs well for Buffalo
Same person. He has ownership and several projects in-work downtown including One Seneca redevelopment and expansion into apartments and retail, conversion of the former police HQ building into apartments, restoration and development of the former Hotel Statler, ownership of the former Hyatt Regency, and proposed redevelopment of several other buildings along with new construction. He is also the primary redeveloper of the Boulevard Mall, although plans haven't been released yet.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 4:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
The people in Buffalo seem to be a bit nicer/welcoming than Rochester. Maybe it's the "no airs" (no illusions of grandeur) blue collar mentality vs. Rochester historically being more white collar (Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb were all based here, and one can't forget Wegmans!).

That isn't to say Rochesterians aren't friendly.
But Buffalonians are some of the nicest Americans around so

I like Rochester, they have pretty residential streets with nice landscaping, parks, the Genesee river falls right in the heart of the city, but Buffalo has a bit larger of a city feel and downtown/urban core doesn't feel separated (disjointed?) like Rochester.

Buffalo has a larger feel since the population topped out in 1950 at 580k people in a tiny 39 sq miles, and the Metro pop. peaked early in 1970. Also Buffalo has a (c. 1985) light rail line that functions like a subway, and of course major league sports.

Visit them both and see what you think
I didn't realize Rochester had Xerox and Bausch & Lomb as well. I imagine in the 1950s upstate NY looked and felt like a very prosperous region. 1960-2020 haven't been kind but I doubt it will stay like that forever. The rapid growth of the Quebec City - Windsor corridor (22 million people, forecast to hit 30 million in 20 years) should eventually benefit upstate NY but it hasn't happened yet. You're sitting smack dab between 2 highly populated and highly developed corridors.

If one visits Buffalo and Rochester do you need a car? I'd likely drive there.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 5:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I didn't realize Rochester had Xerox and Bausch & Lomb as well. I imagine in the 1950s upstate NY looked and felt like a very prosperous region. 1960-2020 haven't been kind but I doubt it will stay like that forever. The rapid growth of the Quebec City - Windsor corridor (22 million people, forecast to hit 30 million in 20 years) should eventually benefit upstate NY but it hasn't happened yet. You're sitting smack dab between 2 highly populated and highly developed corridors.

If one visits Buffalo and Rochester do you need a car? I'd likely drive there.
Definitely need a car.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 5:11 PM
The New Republic

Ok, thanks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:55 AM

Not necessarily. I visited both cities by taking the Toronto to NYC Amtrak train. The stations in each are located downtown and close to everything.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I don't remember clearly, but it (Rochester) didn't feel as connected to the lake as Buffalo does, but I could be wrong.
Buffalo is a major great lakes port city, centered directly on the shore of lake erie where the Buffalo River estuary created a natural harbor.

Rochester, on the other hand, was centered on the falls on the Genesee River, about 8 miles inland from the shore of lake Ontario and was never as big of a lake port city as Buffalo.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:02 PM
Great White Norf

While Buffalo was not seen as being white collar like Rochester, banking has always played an important role. Marine Midland, M&T Bank and First Niagara were all HQ'd here.

Marine Midland (which built Buffalo's tallest building in 1972) was bought out by HSBC and they eventually moved HQ to Manhattan, and now they are divesting themselves of retail banking entirely. Operations in Buffalo are minimal compared to the thousands of jobs (5,000+) that were once in the area.

First Niagara was bought out by Key Bank (of Cleveland) but still employs thousands in the area.

M&T Bank is still headquartered in Buffalo (currently employs over 7,000 locally) and through acquisitions has grown to be currently the 23rd largest bank in the country with $150 Billion in assets.

M&T has developed a new $58M banking technology hub, expected to add 1,000+ jobs and taking up 330k SF of space in the former Marine Midland/HSBC tower, now called Seneca One tower, which is undergoing a $120M transformation into mixed use by DC based developer Douglas Jemal.

Checkout the progress of the transformation of Buffalo's tallest skyscraper:

From the paint job: https://www.buffalorising.com/2020/0...one-paint-job/

M&T banking technology hub: https://www.buffalorising.com/2021/0...ub-seneca-one/

Latest news: https://www.buffalorising.com/2021/0...at-seneca-one/

Last edited by Wigs; Jun 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:27 PM
Great White Norf

For those interested in DC-based developer Douglas Jemal's portfolio in Buffalo. He's taking on a bunch of huge projects at once.

Video from April, local NBC affiliate WGRZ
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions