HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:44 PM

435-451 Ridout Street North - 40s (Approved)

Don't get too excited - it is being proposed by Farhi who has never built a single tower in my memory (yet he has proposed lots). It's not a bad design, a great height, in a good location. BUT it won't happen. Having said that, there is a massive amount of work that has gone into this as you can see the supporting documents here: http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...s/OZ-9157.aspx

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; Dec 21, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:40 PM

Not likely under the "landlords" watch. Most likely is a pitch for re-zoning in order to sell/flip to a developer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:51 PM
sketchy dude

would this building be across from the health unit?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:57 PM

This is located to the north of Museum London and south of Eldon House.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:33 PM

Looks like a nice building. And would fit in nicely with Centro going up across the street/parking lot. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:55 PM

This looks like it would involve demolition of the 4s addition at the rear of 451 Ridout, the part that is entered from the parking lot in Harris Park. I wonder if there will be heritage and floodplain issues with that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:38 PM
sketchy dude

Blyth academy property?

Last edited by greenday99; Dec 19, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday99 View Post
eddies fries parking lot or Blyth academy?
The title of the thread has the wrong address. This is behind the Blyth Academy buildings on the west side of Ridout, north of Queens. In the images above, it appears to be fronted by 451 Ridout, which is the third building up from the intersection, and is the one that has the building addition behind it that looks to be part of the footprint of the new building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:23 AM
Sanity merchant

fuck farhi... never builds shit. this won't be.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:12 PM

I was excited to see this new proposal...oh Farhi

I assume he just wants to knock down the back half of the building at 451 and make a parking lot until he proves otherwise. The city should approve this but add in penalties if not built (no idea if you can do that)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:20 PM

Oh man, that's an excellent proposal. There's definitely a lot of work that went into this design and I can see it being inspired by 515 Richmond.

I know Farhi is all bark and no bite in terms of London, but something feels different about this one. Farhi has been making movement down in Windsor, he's gotten the Doubletree and GM Trim projects rolling over the past year, which has surprised everyone. I wouldn't discount this just yet, it's possible that growing demand for housing in London is finally going to get him moving on actually developing these lots.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Dec 23, 2021 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:15 PM

Could this be a similar situation to Rygar & Old Oak, whereas Rygar assembled the land, did all the work & then sold the approved project to Old Oak. There is far too much work that has gone into this proposal, and I don't know what Farhi has to gain from it if either he or another developer isn't serious about building here.

Pretty impressive for London to get 2 over 400 ft towers in the next 4-5 years. I don't know many other mid size cities in Canada apart from K/W building like we are.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Could this be a similar situation to Rygar & Old Oak, whereas Rygar assembled the land, did all the work & then sold the approved project to Old Oak. There is far too much work that has gone into this proposal, and I don't know what Farhi has to gain from it if either he or another developer isn't serious about building here.
Actually that is very possible, you are right this is a lot of detail to just want to demo a building for another parking lot. The heritage assessment is 160+ pages.
Very likely since he owns the land that is exactly the play here

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 10:46 PM

Hoping that he's trying to elevate his reputation in London. This would certainly be a big step toward that.

Edit: I may be wrong but is that stylized swoop used throughout the design of the building not in the Farhi logo? I might just be dreaming here

Last edited by PeteM; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 2:26 AM
Sanity merchant

this was the same feeling myself and many others felt about the old library, and the place on Queens?

He's a chronic liar. Never trust anything he or his company say about building something because it won't fucking happen. I am sick as shit about seeing his fucking signs everywhere, and his vacancies as companies actively avoid his properties. I want his ass gone from London. Send him to Regina or something. Fuck this company. Fuck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I know Farhi is all bark and no bite in terms of London, but something feels different about this one.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:21 PM

The proposal for the library had very little in the way of supporting studies, etc. and his previous designs looked like they were copied from SimCity. The difference this time is that the proposal has a significant amount of work gone into it: Geotechnical Engineering Report, Heritage Impact Assessment, Planning Justification Report, Sanitary Servicing Feasibility Study, Site Concept Plan, Transportation Impact Assessment.

Why go to all that work and expense for nothing at all? I am not saying he will build it, but maybe someone will.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The proposal for the library had very little in the way of supporting studies, etc. and his previous designs looked like they were copied from SimCity. The difference this time is that the proposal has a significant amount of work gone into it: Geotechnical Engineering Report, Heritage Impact Assessment, Planning Justification Report, Sanitary Servicing Feasibility Study, Site Concept Plan, Transportation Impact Assessment.

Why go to all that work and expense for nothing at all? I am not saying he will build it, but maybe someone will.
any chance you can edit the thread title to the correct address so people don't think this is the empty parking lot across from the courthouse?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
any chance you can edit the thread title to the correct address so people don't think this is the empty parking lot across from the courthouse?
I tried and it shows that it is edited but then doesn't seem to make the change. Can anyone else help?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 1:31 AM
User Registered

Quote:
I tried and it shows that it is edited but then doesn't seem to make the change. Can anyone else help?
Try contacting a moderator, there isn't one active in the London section.

Ask them to add it to the database too

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 6:31 PM

Lake Harris is lapping up at base of building and covering the parking lot. It will be challenging $$$ to deal with the construction and engineering for this proposed tower given the Thames river flooding that happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates