HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I am guessing Esso as well since Pioneer/Wendy's is proposed to go on the current Esso plot.
http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...3ZUuR-jFCDJJ-A
Interesting. My original thought was Pioneer was going to go on the other corner because the artwork on York's website looked a lot like Pioneer, then I figured Esso made the most sense because that little gas bar (I still call it Indy's lol) was probably going to get destroyed by a new larger station across the road. Wonder if, given the size of the store building, if they are going to have any kind of food business in there. I picture a Subway or Mr Sub counter in a building that size with a store.

I'll be happy to have Pioneer over there though, they tend to be a little cheaper than the others. I saw that last year over by work when the new Esso opened at Dundas and VMP, and was always high prices. Then the Pioneer opened at Crumlin earlier this year and the Esso had to start competing.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:54 PM

This intersection is going to be a traffic disaster. The wasted money spent on minor things will need to re-built very soon. Why are traffic planners so blind?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Interesting. My original thought was Pioneer was going to go on the other corner because the artwork on York's website looked a lot like Pioneer, then I figured Esso made the most sense because that little gas bar (I still call it Indy's lol) was probably going to get destroyed by a new larger station across the road. Wonder if, given the size of the store building, if they are going to have any kind of food business in there. I picture a Subway or Mr Sub counter in a building that size with a store.

I'll be happy to have Pioneer over there though, they tend to be a little cheaper than the others. I saw that last year over by work when the new Esso opened at Dundas and VMP, and was always high prices. Then the Pioneer opened at Crumlin earlier this year and the Esso had to start competing.
I am assuming it will be Esso with a Circle K convenience store but you are right that building is quite large so there has to be something else there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
This intersection is going to be a traffic disaster. The wasted money spent on minor things will need to re-built very soon. Why are traffic planners so blind?
It already is a disaster, imagine 2 huge gas stations along with the traffic from Tim's, McDonalds, Wendy's plus whatever else is going in.

I am all for the development but per usual really poor road planning

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:

Indy's felt like it was out in the middle of nowhere when I was a kid. It felt remote.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Indy's felt like it was out in the middle of nowhere when I was a kid. It felt remote.
It was in the middle of nowhere lol. When I first met my wife in 1993, she lived in Byron, which was already way out there for me the east ender lol. We would go for drives and Indy's was like a little country outpost lol.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
It was in the middle of nowhere lol. When I first met my wife in 1993, she lived in Byron, which was already way out there for me the east ender lol. We would go for drives and Indy's was like a little country outpost lol.
When was it Olco as that is what I remember it as most. My dad has lived in Kilworth (old section) since the early 90's

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
When was it Olco as that is what I remember it as most. My dad has lived in Kilworth (old section) since the early 90's
I'm thinking it was between Indy's and Esso. Only because in googling to see if I could find old locations, I came across the wiki that says Olco was formed in 1986 and I'm pretty sure I had seen Indy's before then. To be honest, it might have even been Olco when I took my now wife out that way, but it was so well known as Indy's that we even today still call it that. (kind of like how many still call the store chain Mac's Milk even though it hasn't been called that in like 40 years lol).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking it was between Indy's and Esso. Only because in googling to see if I could find old locations, I came across the wiki that says Olco was formed in 1986 and I'm pretty sure I had seen Indy's before then. To be honest, it might have even been Olco when I took my now wife out that way, but it was so well known as Indy's that we even today still call it that. (kind of like how many still call the store chain Mac's Milk even though it hasn't been called that in like 40 years lol).
I remember Indy's still being there in 2001, when their propane tank exploded (nobody injured).

If I recall correctly it changed to Esso sometime around 2005. I do remember there being Olco in London but not at that particular location.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:09 PM

The plaza is moving at a glacial pace right now. Nothing has been done to the 2 storey commercial building at the south side of the parking lot since the end of August, a couple corner pillars and the central stair/elevator core on the first floor and that's it. Curbs were put in more of the parking lot last week. The commercial building between Tim's and McDonalds has a dental office open and a couple other units with work proceeding, as well as a Scholars office (I'm guessing one of those learning centre places). The gas station is slowly taking shape, the tanks were installed, the pump bases put in, and the support columns for the canopy are in.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:49 PM

Suspect they hit pause on 2 storey building due to lack of tenants. Sifton also having a challenge leasing the 4 storey office building in West5.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:12 PM

Finally noticed some activity on the south side 2 story building this morning, the gas station has looked ready for pumps for over a month it seems.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:03 PM

Actually the structural steel is showing this as a 3 story building. Given the over supply of office space in London not sure who the tenants might be. Sifton still has not leased their 4s office across the street.

London does have a office space over supply it seems. Apparently the recent sale of City Centre towers included the news of over 80,000 sq feet of grade A space vacant in the towers. And of course the "Landlord" has major vacant office spaces throughout the downtown of various grades.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:36 PM

In looking at the pictures on the York site, yes, it's a 3s, just looked like a 2 to me with the core they had sitting there for months.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

Yeah you are both right, I also just assumed it was a 2 story. I have no idea what is expected to go in these buildings.
I think on the Sifton side they are having issues leasing as they are asking too much but they are completely fine sitting on it knowing that in time they will fill the space. Especially as more and more people move in the demand will inevitably rise

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Actually the structural steel is showing this as a 3 story building. Given the over supply of office space in London not sure who the tenants might be. Sifton still has not leased their 4s office across the street.

London does have a office space over supply it seems. Apparently the recent sale of City Centre towers included the news of over 80,000 sq feet of grade A space vacant in the towers. And of course the "Landlord" has major vacant office spaces throughout the downtown of various grades.
London's office vacancy rate in Q3 2019 was 18.1% - 19.2% downtown and 14.7% outside downtown.

Toronto, meanwhile is at 6.8% - 2.3% downtown and 11.9% outside downtown. Waterloo Region is at 9.6%. The only two major Canadian cities with higher office vacancy rates than London are Calgary and Edmonton.

Companies really should consider London more. Lots of office space (not all owned by Farhi) available, and the cost is about a third less - $14.89/sq. ft. in London vs. $21.04 in Toronto.

This data is all straight from CBRE.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:44 PM

These numbers don't paint a very nice picture in terms of office space. Not sure how much is economy vs other factors. Maybe something that could help is conversion of some of the empty office buildings into residential. The old TD building, Market Tower would make attractive loft style condos or apartments if done right. Not likely to be leased as offices any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
London's office vacancy rate in Q3 2019 was 18.1% - 19.2% downtown and 14.7% outside downtown.

Toronto, meanwhile is at 6.8% - 2.3% downtown and 11.9% outside downtown. Waterloo Region is at 9.6%. The only two major Canadian cities with higher office vacancy rates than London are Calgary and Edmonton.

Companies really should consider London more. Lots of office space (not all owned by Farhi) available, and the cost is about a third less - $14.89/sq. ft. in London vs. $21.04 in Toronto.

This data is all straight from CBRE.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:03 PM

The 3 storey office building has been stalled for a month now. Structural steel has been sitting on flatbed trailer. The gas bar is still stalled with zero progress in months. Leasing must be quite a challenge here as Sifton across the road has also not been able to get tenants.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:40 AM

Noticed today that the steel framework for the gas pump canopy is up. I couldn't recall if that was new or not, but I'm thinking it was just the support posts there last weekend.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Noticed today that the steel framework for the gas pump canopy is up. I couldn't recall if that was new or not, but I'm thinking it was just the support posts there last weekend.
It is new for sure, drove by on the weekend and noticed the same thing...slowest progress I have ever seen. I am curious if it will be an Esso, otherwise I really do not understand the hold up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates