HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Foundation concrete forming underway for building east of the Timmies on site. This may be the footings for the McDonalds.
From what I recall, McDonalds was going right on the corner of Riverbend and Oxford.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
From what I recall, McDonalds was going right on the corner of Riverbend and Oxford.
Correct. According to the map on this page from York, that is building 4 that has a foundation in. They don't have a specific tenant named on their site yet, so I wonder what is going in there.

https://yorkdev.ca/project/west-rock/#siteplan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 5:27 PM

Steel being installed today for this building. The Timmies is nearly enclosed. Exterior finishing will be next and windows/doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Correct. According to the map on this page from York, that is building 4 that has a foundation in. They don't have a specific tenant named on their site yet, so I wonder what is going in there.

https://yorkdev.ca/project/west-rock/#siteplan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 11:17 PM

Windows now in for the Timmies. I would imagine they will need to pave the driveways and some of the parking within a month to support the Tim's and gas bar openings which could happen as soon as May.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:57 PM

Roofing steel installed on the building east of the Timmies now.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:04 PM

Stone and brick being installed now on Timmies and Gas bar. Still haven't started the parking lot grading and curbs. Would imagine they will hold off until brick is finished.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:22 PM

Footings for McDonalds are also now in as well. No signs of gas bar or car wash installations as yet though, although the store is well along.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Footings for McDonalds are also now in as well. No signs of gas bar or car wash installations as yet though, although the store is well along.
I am assuming the gas bar will be part of the convenience store so it could open before the gas pumps and car wash get built.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 11:05 PM

Par for the course the mental midgets in city hall engineering and transportation appear to be building a concrete island strip east of the lights to block turns off Oxford. From what I can tell they aren't widening Oxford to 5 lanes but leaving it in the current configuration. The traffic is already nuts and they keep wasting our tax dollars with half-assed measures.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:32 AM

You speak like you were actually thinking they were going to just go and widen this without any kind of announcement or something. I don't think I've even heard a hint that the city is considering widening this road anytime soon. I know the county wants to but the city has a million other projects on the go as well. At least the mental midgets as you call them, built the bridge for future growth.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
You speak like you were actually thinking they were going to just go and widen this without any kind of announcement or something. I don't think I've even heard a hint that the city is considering widening this road anytime soon. I know the county wants to but the city has a million other projects on the go as well. At least the mental midgets as you call them, built the bridge for future growth.
I think maybe his point was that why would they not widen Oxford from Commissioners to Westdel Bourne while the entire stretch is already under construction.
I certainly realize its not quite that easy but this is another example of the city spending millions to put some sidewalks, concrete islands in etc only to rip it up in a year and redo it.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I think maybe his point was that why would they not widen Oxford from Commissioners to Westdel Bourne while the entire stretch is already under construction.
I certainly realize its not quite that easy but this is another example of the city spending millions to put some sidewalks, concrete islands in etc only to rip it up in a year and redo it.
Who said they are doing any of that in a year? Same thing was said about Southdale and it will be 10 years or more by the time that road gets widened. I don't think that's wasted money considering the alternative is the people living there would otherwise not have had those sidewalks until the city could afford to put the widened road in.

And it's all the way back to Sanitorium if you are doing any of it. Way bigger priorities than that stretch for people who don't even live in London to get out of town easier.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Par for the course the mental midgets in city hall engineering and transportation appear to be building a concrete island strip east of the lights to block turns off Oxford. From what I can tell they aren't widening Oxford to 5 lanes but leaving it in the current configuration. The traffic is already nuts and they keep wasting our tax dollars with half-assed measures.
I'm going to be completely honest here. I reviewed the plans here from the Transportation side and this isn't going as how it was signed-off on. I used to work for the City of London and quit last year and working now for someone else. They are supposed to build the median. However, prior to that they were to widen the lanes on both sides to slightly shift the lanes and ensure that they're a proper width based on City standards, with adequate widths, tapers and changed pavement markings. I don't know why they jumped right to the median as there was other works that was supposed to happen first. I've personally reached out to the City in order to report the matter.

Understand this, if you don't build the median now, guess who will be complaining about access restrictions once it's time to widen Oxford. Those same business owners. Put it in before it's done (it's a developer requirement) and they'll be used to it up-front.

Lastly, these are works being done by the developer at their own cost as part of their development agreement. Yes, it's interim, but the City isn't paying for the median and required widening.

Take a look at the 2019 Development Charge Servicign strategy: https://www.london.ca/business/Resou...2019-02-20.pdf. Go down to the bottom in Appendix B and look at the charts. Widening of Oxford Street from Commissioners Road to Westdel Bourne is scheduled for 2025.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; May 16, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:45 PM

2025 and in the meantime the traffic will only increase as Warbler Woods, Kains Wood and West5 are built. What EPIC FAILURE in planning!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post

Understand this, if you don't build the median now, guess who will be complaining about access restrictions once it's time to widen Oxford. Those same business owners. Put it in before it's done (it's a developer requirement) and they'll be used to it up-front.
And without that median and without the road being widened, it will be a standstill as people try to turn into the plaza and people can't get around them. People going westbound will be able to turn left at Riverbend or Westdel Bourne to get in that plaza, they don't need to be able to turn in right at Timmy's.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:07 PM

I think Southdale will be widened long before 10 years personally, the growth in that end of the city is going to require something to be done before 2030.

Have you been down Oxford to see where the medians are? Maybe they still have a lot to go but that stretch between commissioners and Westdel is going to be a crap show for anyone needing to access via a car

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I think Southdale will be widened long before 10 years personally, the growth in that end of the city is going to require something to be done before 2030.
I'm saying the timeframe from when the Southdale roadwork was done a few years ago when the sidewalks were done until the road gets widened. I'm not saying it will be another 10 years from now.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 12:06 PM

Steel installation started for McDonalds. Exterior work still going on for Gas Bar and Timmies and retail building.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 2:54 PM

Really curious, as I mentioned upthread, why they haven't started the gas bar or car wash. I know it was commented that those things can be added after, but it makes it really difficult to open a store and then dig up your parking lot to put in gas tanks, pumps and a car wash building after you open the store. And I'm by there enough that I probably would have seen the big tanks being installed at some point. And the building for the convenience store is really large for a gas station store. Even the new Pioneer at Dundas and Crumlin, which also has a Mr Sub and Country Style is smaller than this building. York hasn't updated their webpage for this project with any other tenants or listed who the gas company is, so I wonder if that is actually still part of the plan.

McDonalds did a hiring fair yesterday for this location and Tim's has one this week as well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Really curious, as I mentioned upthread, why they haven't started the gas bar or car wash. I know it was commented that those things can be added after, but it makes it really difficult to open a store and then dig up your parking lot to put in gas tanks, pumps and a car wash building after you open the store. And I'm by there enough that I probably would have seen the big tanks being installed at some point. And the building for the convenience store is really large for a gas station store. Even the new Pioneer at Dundas and Crumlin, which also has a Mr Sub and Country Style is smaller than this building. York hasn't updated their webpage for this project with any other tenants or listed who the gas company is, so I wonder if that is actually still part of the plan.

McDonalds did a hiring fair yesterday for this location and Tim's has one this week as well.
My wife made the same comment, that is a massive building for a gas bar/convenience store. I have not seen gas tanks going in either and I drive by twice a day which I agree seems odd.

The Tim Hortons is not far from being complete and the "gas bar" is not far behind so I am really curious what they will be doing in the next few weeks to prepare for traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates