HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:23 PM

London Landfill 2025

So the London landfill is expected to be full by 2025.

https://getinvolved.london.ca/WhyWasteDisposal

Options include expanding it to hopefully get us to 2050. The EA process needs to start now in order to get that approved in time.

Another option is to truck our waste to another landfill.

Where should London buy a 1000 plus acres of land to prepare for our future landfill after 2050? Any ideas other then in the GTA?

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
So the London landfill is expected to be full by 2025.

https://getinvolved.london.ca/WhyWasteDisposal

Options include expanding it to hopefully get us to 2050. The EA process needs to start now in order to get that approved in time.

Another option is to truck our waste to another landfill.

Where should London buy a 1000 plus acres of land to prepare for our future landfill after 2050? Any ideas other then in the GTA?
London needs to get a green bin program going ASAP, and cut its bag limit down to one bag per week like virtually everywhere else in Ontario. Communities as small as Bancroft (population under 4000) already have such a program, and this program is second nature in larger centres such as Kingston and Toronto. There's no excuse for London to be 20 years behind with its waste management.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
London needs to get a green bin program going ASAP, and cut its bag limit down to one bag per week like virtually everywhere else in Ontario. Communities as small as Bancroft (population under 4000) already have such a program, and this program is second nature in larger centres such as Kingston and Toronto. There's no excuse for London to be 20 years behind with its waste management.
Nah I do not like the green bin program I think it is a major mistake, the city would be better served supplying each home with a compost bin for free, and in the process drop the container limit to 1 per week.

Personally I think;
1. Change to a once weekly pick up for trash/recycling
2. Provide a free compost bin
3. Reduce container limit to 2 immediately and then down to 1 the following year
4. Still give households the option to buy tags for extra bags

For reference my household has 2 adults and 2 kids one of which is in diapers still, we typically have 2-3 of those kitchen garbage bags per pickup. Those bags would fill one green bag MAYBE slightly more on some weeks so I really do not understand how some people are putting out so much trash.

Last edited by MrSlippery519; May 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I agree, but then don't we import much of Toronto's garbage (landfill)? It pisses me off royally that my efforts to be green are swamped by Tarana's garbage.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I agree, but then don't we import much of Toronto's garbage (landfill)? It pisses me off royally that my efforts to be green are swamped by Tarana's garbage.
If I recall correctly their garbage goes to a facility in Southwold Township, just outside London city limits.

What London does have is a privately owned organic waste processing facility which is where Toronto's green bin waste goes. London has an organic waste facility and the City doesn't even use it for its own citizens.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:45 PM

It's called Greenlane and you can see it and smell it on the north side of the 401 as you drive west. Toronto now owns it and also pays the local First Nations Bands a per tonne dumping fee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lane_landfill

Quote:
If I recall correctly their garbage goes to a facility in Southwold Township, just outside London city limits.

What London does have is a privately owned organic waste processing facility which is where Toronto's green bin waste goes. London has an organic waste facility and the City doesn't even use it for its own citizens.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 11:53 AM

Update on the plans for the London Landfill.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-landfill-plan

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy